When to move up in stakes?

kmuffman kkmuffman k Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
Hi, I've been running on major heaters on past 7-9 sessions and got my br to 15k from 4k on 2/3 300 buy in. I have to admit that alot had to do with the time i put in off table, bad regs and finally putting it to use. My question is when do you guys think a player could/should take shot at a bit higher stakes? Like maybe 2/5 or 5/5 game with 500-1k buy in. My goal is really to improve my overall game. My everyday job will for sure support any downswing (poker still just a hobby that I'm passionate abt). My fear is getting outplay or too intimidate at higher stake table as im quite comfortable at the 2/3. Yes, I'm risking of not improving my gameplay as there is less pressure. How do you guys manage to stay at that level? Any tip will do

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    If the money is easily replaceable, give 2/5 a couple of sessions and see how you feel against the player pool. Good luck.
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Don't feel like you need to completely jump to 2/5 just started adding in sessions of 2/5 along with your 2/3. I play 3 days a week and recently switch one session a week from 1/3 to 3/5. Just keep adding more higher level sessions as your confidence and bankroll increase. The player pool will be better at 2/5 but not as much as you think so don't worry too much about it.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    kmuffman k wrote: »
    Hi, I've been running on major heaters on past 7-9 sessions and got my br to 15k from 4k on 2/3 300 buy in.

I agree with giving a couple of 2/5 sessions a shot.

One note of caution: if your reason for giving it a shot is because you have been on heaters at 2/3, then that alone isn't a good reason. If you have felt that your game is ready to try 2/5 and that the heater can now fund your attempt(s), then go for it.
  • Faustovaldez123Faustovaldez123 RCP Coach Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    kmuffman k wrote: »
    Hi, I've been running on major heaters on past 7-9 sessions and got my br to 15k from 4k on 2/3 300 buy in. I have to admit that alot had to do with the time i put in off table, bad regs and finally putting it to use. My question is when do you guys think a player could/should take shot at a bit higher stakes? Like maybe 2/5 or 5/5 game with 500-1k buy in. My goal is really to improve my overall game. My everyday job will for sure support any downswing (poker still just a hobby that I'm passionate abt). My fear is getting outplay or too intimidate at higher stake table as im quite comfortable at the 2/3. Yes, I'm risking of not improving my gameplay as there is less pressure. How do you guys manage to stay at that level? Any tip will do

If your at 15k and you have a job and don't depend on the roll, you should absolutely take like 5k and go for it. learn from it whether you win or lose and keep moving forward.
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was taking shots i bought in for 300 on 2\5 just as I did on 1\3. Tighten up some of your ep and mp range since stacks are 60bb but once your double its not much more variance. I find 2\5 slightly easier at times with narrower ranges and easier to read. Also easier to bluff as you have more fold equity because of stack sizes. Every time i play 1\3 im looking at a bunch of 30-60bb stacks and 2\5 its 40-150bb stacks.

One thing i thought of doing is playing 1\3 mon-thur when i have time and weekends play 2\5 since field is softer.

BOL
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    What is the first thing that comes to your head when you think about playing 2-5? Is it how you could lose all that hard earned skrill? Or is it the opportunity to leverage a resource for a potential life changing opportunity? Will you lose sleep if you end up losing 1k? 3k? 5k? Are you going to be too confident in your ability being on a heater and take bad spots?

What are your mental leaks? What does your default A, B, C game look like? Whats your reaction to getting cooled off for a 400bb pot at 2-3? Can you quantify the mistakes people are making in your game? Do you feel like you are getting outplayed regularly?

Its far from being a simple number on your piggybank. It would be irresponsible for anybody here to give you an answer to your question. You need to understand yourself and answer these (and other more important) questions before you know the answer to your original question. Once youve answered these appropriately, then you will know when its time to take a shot. For me or fausto, we probably would have taken a shot 8k ago. Others on this site probably have way more than 15k and wouldn't consider taking a shot yet.

If the answers to the questions you ask yourself are not favorable, then its your job to put in the appropriate work and eventually be able to answer them in a manner which allows you to take the shot. Leverage your insecurities and leaks to take yourself to the next level. Do NOT use it as an excuse to not take a shot.

If you never move up and challenge yourself in this game (or any endeavor in life), beating up the drunks and the fish will lose its luster and you will become miserable. Its fun to make money, but there are other much more meaningful reasons why we play. Taking the joy out of such a beautiful game would he a grave mistake. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Take shots at 2/5 anytime for sure. One thing I used to do was buy in for max at 1/3, then when I doubled up I would take that and go play 2/5.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file