Was this to tight of a fold pre?

Seth RSeth R Red Chipper Posts: 37 ✭✭
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $6.34 (VPIP: 24.14, PFR: 19.54, 3Bet Preflop: 11.43, Hands: 90)
Hero (UTG): $2.37
CO: $2.45 (VPIP: 23.55, PFR: 19.62, 3Bet Preflop: 11.06, Hands: 671)
BTN: $6.11 (VPIP: 32.17, PFR: 29.57, 3Bet Preflop: 11.36, Hands: 119)
SB: $2.20 (VPIP: 23.46, PFR: 20.99, 3Bet Preflop: 17.86, Hands: 82)

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:heart: Q:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.07, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.23, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, SB raises to $2.20 and is all-in, fold

SB wins $1.22

I didnt have alot of information on villain, but up until this hand he was not playing aggressively OOL at all. Was this just way to tight of a fold pre? If this was way to tight of a fold pre, can you give me an eample where we are folding with QQ pre?

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Villain is playing 23\21 with almost 18% 3bet. I think you can safely call a 3 bet or be comfortable 4 bet and stacking off TT+ here.

What was your goal when deciding to 4 bet? "I wanna see where im at?" If you paid for a hud i would make use of it.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2
    Folding QQ vs aggro 3, 4, and 5 bettors is a mistake imo... as @Austin mentioned you can stack-off safely with a wider range...

I would construct your 4 and 5betting ranges vs aggro players/late position preflop betting wars--first construct a value range and if you want to be balanced andf be a tougher player to play against you need some bluffs mixed in like: 22- 66 hands that are slightly the favorite vs overcards, hands like KQo QJo that have blocker value i.e. blocking AK AQ KK QQ JJ, and/or suited paintX like K5 or A5s that have blocker value and can suck out by making a flush or binking top pair when you run into a real hand A5-A2s is better than K5s imo because you have the extra straight equity in addition to the flush and high card blocker value... obviously you prefer folds when you make these moves with these hands... but the extra equity edge makes A5s a better candidate than K5s however it could be spot dependant i.e.

Hero is BB with Kd4d... Button raises 3bb. SB raises 10bb. This is a spot where making it 24-28bb probably takes down the pot more than 60% of the time if you haven't gotten too out of line with 4 and 5 betting... we are not going for the 4 or 5bet every time we have 55 or A4s but when you raise in CO with A5s and are 3b by the Button who has a 20% 3b it would be a good time to put in a 4bet

I don't have pokerstove in front of me now but I think you could go as far as 99+ AK for sure if villain is 5betting 88+ AQ+ and also has bluffs like 22-55 QJ KQ type hands in their range
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny M wrote: »
    Folding QQ vs aggro 3, 4, and 5 bettors is a mistake imo... as @Austin mentioned you can stack-off safely with a wider range...

I would construct your 4 and 5betting ranges vs aggro players/late position preflop betting wars--first construct a value range and if you want to be balanced andf be a tougher player to play against you need some bluffs mixed in like: 22- 66 hands that are slightly the favorite vs overcards, hands like KQo QJo that have blocker value i.e. blocking AK AQ KK QQ JJ, and/or suited paintX like K5 or A5s that have blocker value and can suck out by making a flush or binking top pair when you run into a real hand A5-A2s is better than K5s imo because you have the extra straight equity in addition to the flush and high card blocker value... obviously you prefer folds when you make these moves with these hands... but the extra equity edge makes A5s a better candidate than K5s however it could be spot dependant i.e.

Hero is BB with Kd4d... Button raises 3bb. SB raises 10bb. This is a spot where making it 24-28bb probably takes down the pot more than 60% of the time if you haven't gotten too out of line with 4 and 5 betting... we are not going for the 4 or 5bet every time we have 55 or A4s but when you raise in CO with A5s and are 3b by the Button who has a 20% 3b it would be a good time to put in a 4bet

I don't have pokerstove in front of me now but I think you could go as far as 99+ AK for sure if villain is 5betting 88+ AQ+ and also has bluffs like 22-55 QJ KQ type hands in their range

Maybe a little too advance for 2NL. I think hero needs to learn how to value shove in 3-5bet pots before he uses blockers and bluffs using 3-4bets. All about value bets 10NL and under.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file