Tight play with JJ UTG?

Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
I did not play this hand, only observed, but I thought it would be an interesting one for discussion.

$1/3 NL, main Villain has been seen to open fairly wide when in position and will usually get a bit sticky post-flop with paired 8s+ or F/S draws, depending on board texture.

UTG ($230 stack) limps, HJ limps behind, V in CO (covers UTG) raises to $18.
Blinds fold, UTG calls, HJ folds.

UTG checks flop dark.
$42 Flop: :Kc :6s :8d

CO bets $30

UTG has :Js :Jd
What should be UTG's next move?
How often does V have QQ+? How often is UTG behind Kx here?
Is this a time to charge a straight draw for the turn?

I'll post what he did in a comment later.

Comments

• RoblivionRoblivion Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I'm not sure what the intent was of limping, calling the raise, and then dark checking, but at this point it has served to get V to put money into the pot with a very wide range, most of which UTG is ahead of.

I think call with the intention of bluff-catching decent runouts here. Keep all his bluffs in and don't give him an excuse to dump his air.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭
    Just call. AQ has only 25% chance of improving. Other hands your either crushed and raising doesn't get called by worse. Hands your ahead of 99 and TT will likely check back but if you get out played thats ok, its a small percentage of the player pool that barrels 2nd pair.

Guessing he check min raised and shoved the turn trying to rep a set, turning JJ into a bluff, and possibly get KQ or AK to fold usin fps?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how aggro is Villain postflop. Yeah, he may open wide preflop, but does he always C-Bet, or only with TP+ ? What would V do with 8X ? TT ? AQ?

Without much information about V's tendancies, I'd rather call it down with JJ, except if A or Q shows up. By limping JJ, V underreps his hand. So on the flop he is ahead of many pairs and draws which could fire. Folding JJ here would be a mistake IMHO (overfolding).
    Not opening JJ in the first place is already a mistake IMHO (or at least, until he is a great player with a good aggro strategy and a balanced limping strategy, which I may doubt)
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt S wrote: »
    UTG ($230 stack) limps,
    V in CO (covers UTG) raises to $18.
    UTG calls

UTG checks flop dark.

UTG has :Js :Jd
    What should be UTG's next move?

get a coach and learn how to play poker....
    he totally butchered this hand
  • Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    UTG ended up folding face-up pretty quickly to the bet, and CO showed him :Qc :6c

I had played with the UTG player twice before, and both times he played very solid, but in this case I would agree with you @kagey, he did completely butcher this hand. Perhaps he was trying to shake things up with JJ by just limp/calling but then got himself into a situation where he just wanted to cut and run.

I myself don't think I can ever fold in that spot, but then again I also can't think of a reason to play jacks that way pre-flop.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    get a coach and learn how to play poker....
    he totally butchered this hand

Non-sense, he felt another 6 coming on the turn, leaving hero in an agonizing spot when V checks turn, and 1.5 POTS river on river after an unimportant :2H: falls, leaving hero in the most agonizing of spots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file