Book recommendation on "feel" / "intuition"

moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭
David Sklansky and Ed Miller, for instance, write brilliant books on the logic behind poker and poker decisions.

Doyle Brunson and Daniel Negreanu are players who seem uniquely adept at using feel and intuition (obviously, those are both innate and also born of incredible logic and math skills that have been ingrained). I have not, though, read any of their books yet.

Any recommendations for books that focus the discussion on developing the "feel" or "intuition" of poker (note: NOT reading opponents)?

Comments

• sumoswimsumoswim Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    You need to develop your emotional intelligence.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I don't recall any poker book based on "feel/intuition", including books by Daniel and Doyle.

I think that your intuition is only worthwhile after you have developed considerable expertise through other methods(ie playing and studying lots).

While not a poker book this is really worth a read - https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Power-Thinking-Without-ebook/dp/B000PAAH3K/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Good recommendation.... and i agree. Intuition and feel are often really "internalization" after one has completed many hours of athletic or cognitive activity. So, study, play, rinse, repeat.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree 100% about feel being a subconscious deeper processing based on the countless hours of cognitive activity. 100%.

I tend to learn by experience, analysis, coming to my own conclusion, and then looking for the "why" -- be it science, evidence, supporting data, etc. -- to support it.

My ask for books was because I have, on my own, gotten to the point where I have now embraced that my "feel" outplays my "head" when they butt up against each other. I am searching for any kind of poker literature (there is much out there in other contexts about this) to buttress that.
    And thanks for the comments and recommendations!
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    He said "not reading opponents."

"feel & intuition" is a thin line from not reading your opponents. If you ever see Daniel N make a big hero call without looking at his opponent? Once you put them on a range and review the betting patterns, something may not feel right (story doesn't make sense). Then you should try and read your opponent. I think its really all intertwined together. Position, ranges, bet sizing, & reads.
  • Don'tKnowWhenDon'tKnowWhen Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Competence_Hierarchy_adapted_from_Noel_Burch_by_Igor_Kokcharov.svg/1920px-Competence_Hierarchy_adapted_from_Noel_Burch_by_Igor_Kokcharov.svg.png

You are seeking to move from conscious competence to unconscious competence? This can be done through repetition, practice, study (study,play,rinse,repeat as above).

The ease with which one moves from level to level (I.e. Inversely related to the number of "reps") defines ones "innate" ability. For some this will come easily. For others of us, only through years and years and tens of thousands of hands.

Not aware of any poker books that specifically focus on this concept. Hope this helps.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    persuadeo wrote: »
    He said "not reading opponents."

"Once you put them on a range and review the betting patterns, something may not feel right (story doesn't make sense). Then you should try and read your opponent. I think its really all intertwined together. Position, ranges, bet sizing, & reads.

O IS THAT HOW IT WORKS!!!!

My read is that you are enjoying some of the good stuff tonight.
    53ccc8irvxnm.png
    3cdoty9ygz8s.png

Overrated and scam sry
    sumoswim wrote: »
    53ccc8irvxnm.png
    3cdoty9ygz8s.png

Overrated and scam sry

Are you sure? I've studied some of his work and live tells helped me a lot. The fast calls, double checking whole cards, quick bets etc. Check out some of his free videos on youtube. Not sure why you think their a scam. Recommended by many. I think Split suite suggested it before when i first looked into it.
    sumoswim wrote: »
    53ccc8irvxnm.png
    3cdoty9ygz8s.png

Overrated and scam sry

Are you sure? I've studied some of his work and live tells helped me a lot. The fast calls, double checking whole cards, quick bets etc. Check out some of his free videos on youtube. Not sure why you think their a scam. Recommended by many. I think Split suite suggested it before when i first looked into it.

I've studied it to.
    I don't see the theory behind his assumptions other than his personal empirical observations.
    Sure it can help to think about this subject.
    But too much noise about it. Sry.
  • Ryan ARyan A Red Chipper Posts: 221 ✭✭
    I'm with Austin. He's up front about the fact that this stuff only comes into play about 10% of the time and decisions should be based more on other non-read based factors. That being said I think the conclusions he draws make sense and I've picked up on things here and there as a result of them
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    Daniel Negreanu has made some sick reads and also some very bad ones... if you watch some of these hands the lines villains take could reasonably lead you to make the same conclusion especially the hands he plays against amateur players...

He also is an expert mixed-game player too...For me personally playing PLO and PLO8 has made me better in holdem as far as intuition amongst other things despite the vast differences in approaching the games... I'd love it if Bovada had stud and stud8, RAZZ, and mixed games as I'm sure learning all the games proficiiently would make you a really solid player...

Danny M wrote: »
    For me personally playing PLO and PLO8 has made me better in holdem as far as intuition...

Interesting. In what way(s)?
    edited February 16
    You will always be putting someone on a range of 4 cards instead of 2 so going back to 2 is just "simpler" or "easier" for lack of a better word... you will often be running into trips vs straights vs flush vs FH vs better FH (basically "coolers" in holdem) and must make the correct decision knowing where you stand using your intuition as to not overfold your strong made hands or get suckered in vs a stronger hand... I've also tremendously improved my board reading skills and thinking ahead on future streets (HiLo has especially helped fine tune these skills that I thought I had from holdem but have taken much further)
    Thanks, @Danny M. Fascinating. I have never played PLO before...
    It's really fun and exercises some different poker muscles @moishetreats

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file