AJo Preflop All In

NJPokerPlayerNJPokerPlayer Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited February 12 in Live Poker Hands
$1/$2 - three limpers and I ($300) have AJo in HJ, I raise to $15, SB ($150ish) calls, two limpers fold and last limper (college kid) raises to $50 (with only $53 more behind). I go All-In. Small blind tanks and folds and limp/raise college kid calls. I think this was an awkward spot for me but the table had been sticky the whole night with calling one riase and I didn't see the SB stacking off here. I had heard the kid talking strategy a bit at the table which most social players tend to do and thought he could be raising with a lot of smaller pairs. Thoughts on this Preflop play?

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    This is where Doug Hull's video on short stack play comes to mind, watch the video if you haven't already, AJo here is a clear fold. Plus a typical 1/2 player are not gonna balance his limp-reraise range, so it's almost always AA or KK.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rd limper is usually not very strong. If he limped reraise from EP im folding for sure. As an over limp i dont think same rules apply.

Ep limp
    Mp limp
    Mp2 limps
    Hero HJ raise to 15
    Sb calls
    2 limpers fold
    Mp2 raises to 50
    Hero?

So there is about ($87) in the pot and $35 to call, fold, or raise.

He could over limp with a monster thats possible, 77-99 also very possible..what range do you give him?

Lets say 77-JJ, AQ-AK, A10s-AQs

What's your equity? What are your odds?

Against the below range your 26%. I dont think the $15 you put in and the $15 sb called is enough overlay to make this profitable.

w6ujldqgnk1r.png

Jamming is good for your image long run if a big stack sees you jam 300 preflop with AJo you can get into some wars with him later and he won't give you respect for your big pairs.
  • Steve JonesSteve Jones Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    This spot is almost always QQ+
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, this is entirely V-dependent.

Is V a gambler when he sees money in the pot? Has V been sitting on his short stack for what seems to him to be forever? Has he been drinking? Does have the ready-to-double-up-or-go-home vibes?

Alternatively, does V think that you open far too often pre-flop and thinks here that he can exploit it (unlikely, by way)?

If any of the above is the case, then I like your pre-flop shove to isolate against V, getting a great payout against V's weak-ish range compared to your AJo.

If not, though -- if V is a tighter or trappier player or only looks for opportunities to "get it in good" -- then you have an exploitative fold here.

Given your description of V -- and the likelihood that he would have small pocket pairs in his range with this move -- I'd default to playing it as you did (I know, @Austin, shocker! :) ).
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, this is entirely V-dependent.

Is V a gambler when he sees money in the pot? Has V been sitting on his short stack for what seems to him to be forever? Has he been drinking? Does have the ready-to-double-up-or-go-home vibes?

Alternatively, does V think that you open far too often pre-flop and thinks here that he can exploit it (unlikely, by way)?

If any of the above is the case, then I like your pre-flop shove to isolate against V, getting a great payout against V's weak-ish range compared to your AJo.

If not, though -- if V is a tighter or trappier player or only looks for opportunities to "get it in good" -- then you have an exploitative fold here.

Given your description of V -- and the likelihood that he would have small pocket pairs in his range with this move -- I'd default to playing it as you did (I know, @Austin, shocker! :) ).

I see what your saying if he is gambling type, but the raise to $50 is begging for action. I might throw in some KJs, suited broadways, small PP, type hands if he just shoved all in. I don't think its a huge leak. I think it's more of a tourney play to iso. Vs the stronger range i gave him though probably better off calling and letting other player come in as well. Lets say you flat and SB is always calling as well, then your calling 50+50+2+2+15+2 so calling $35 more to win $121 getting almost 3.5 :1 so you need about 22% equity. I think you will hit some type of draw or Pair to continue on the flop vs the $53 jam. You will be getting 4:1 on the flop and if SB rejams your getting like 7:1.

When your behind villains range you want more players in the pot if you don't have any FE or fold.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    When your behind villains range you want more players in the pot if you don't have any FE or fold.

Agree.
  • NJPokerPlayerNJPokerPlayer Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    He had AA, kinda surprised he didn't raise but in hind sight the table was generally very trappy -- I wasn't raising a lot, the table was just very trappy.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    Yep AA all the time... limp reraise... I've seen KK and AK once or twice but AA 99% of the time...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file