Dealing with Donk Bets

jbruelsjbruels Red Chipper Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Live Poker Hands
I think dealing with donk bets is such an interesting part of the game. I wanted to throw out a couple hands from my last session to make sure I’m on the right track.

Live 2-5 short stack strategy.

Hero in middle position with $220 behind.
Villian (with $300) on my right open limps
Hero with 10-10 raises to $25
Folds around to villain who calls
Heads up, $55
Flop K-Q-7 with two diamonds
Villain donks out $45
Hero folds

Same session and stakes

Hero in cutoff with $170
Three limpers (including same villain on my right)
Hero with Kc-Qc raises to $40
Folds around to villain who calls with about $120 left behind
Heads up, $85
Flop 7c-5s-2s
Villain donks out $15
Hero raises all in
Villain snap folds

I think on hand number 2 I’d like a little more to hang my hat on, equity wise. If for some reason villain did flop a set on me and is trying to trap, I’d sure like a better shot at drawing out. That said, it sure did look like this was one of those “Gee I flopped a pair on this small board, let me see where I am..” kind of spots. His weak bet sizing sure looked like a probe and thought there was a better than half chance he’d fold. This, compared to hand number 1 that’s much more connected, I have much less equity, the pot is much smaller and villain’s bet is much bigger.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your reasoning and think you played both hands very well, but what I'd point out is that if you were deeper, which is a more ideal way to play poker, both spots are raise spots, not just the first. Donk betting is firstly polarized between player types, not actions, and weak players donk bad top pairs like a tic, a tic you can punish shamelessly. I look for reasons to raise donk bets, not fold to them- even with your short stack attacking wouldn't be insane. However, you can definitely raise number one when deeper, even drawing to two outs, because it appears you are playing for a more serious effective amount, whereas folding when shorter and less f/e is more than reasonable.
  • jbruelsjbruels Red Chipper Posts: 134 ✭✭
    "Donk betting is firstly polarized between player types, not actions, and weak players donk bad top pairs like a tic, a tic you can punish shamelessly. "

That is awesome! Made my day! :)
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,784 -
    I had a similar hand to this second one:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1023

If you assume a half pot or less donk bet on the flop is a weak top pair or weak underpair when it comes from a weak player, you will do well. In the above hand I turned my weak pair into a bluff and took it down based on the "information bet"

When a Villain bets for information, the answer I usually give is "You are behind." and then they fold.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Ryan707Ryan707 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    LOL. "You are behind" Love it. Ship it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file