First live session since beginning The Course

Wayne HoodWayne Hood Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
So I sat at a 1/2 with $200 today and did my first real live session since I began the Crash Course and read 'The Course.' in 5.5 hours I cashed out at $930 for a +$730 day! But what I really realized was how easy everything felt to me, spots that used to frustrate me and leave me lost I handled with ease. I made a few mistakes (even bluffing half my stack early on, leaving me with $100 an hour in) but I overcame them all and never tilted. This course has been awesome, and man it felt good to know that all the info really works and to know that I'm such a better player than I was before. Thank you guys for this course, it's awesome.

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice session! Any specific areas that felt easier to you?
  • Wayne HoodWayne Hood Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    One big hand to me was when I flopped a set in a multi-way pot. I led out hoping to isolate (K104 flop, I held 44) and I got one caller. The turn brought a third heart, now in the past I now I would check fold here frustrated because "I just know he hit his flush." Now I did check, but it wasn't with the intention of auto folding. He bet and I began to analyze. I thought about his range to bet that turn, sure a flush was possible, but so was KX 10X K10, etc. I no longer just assumed I had to be beat and I really analyzed, how my check made him think he could bet the turn, etc. It's also a player I paid particular attention to, so I had a pretty good idea of what he was doing. The river also blanked, and again I checked, hoping to showdown but willing to reevaluate to a bet. He forced a big bet, $125, and although I thought hard and almost folded, I just remembered that he's more likely to not have a flush here, and no other hand he has likely will beat my set...so I called and scooped (V had AQ)
    bigburge10 wrote: »
    Nice session! Any specific areas that felt easier to you?

Also, preflop play was so much easier. I kept it simple, and speculative hands I used to look at to play I tossed without even a second thought. The position battles were natural, and even the folds were easy. I never felt like I was aimlessly betting, hoping to win a pot. Everything I did I felt I had a plan for it...and I watched everyone else just make mistake after mistake and play poorly, and it was all so clear haha
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    1) Congrats!!!

2) Careful...
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited March 10
    Grats! Now the most important thing is to not let this session go to your head (not trying to undermine your great night). If this streak continues to happen, just remember to stick to your range and be aggressive when needed. Remember to not force things at the tables. It is good that you find things easier than before.

As you start to add more to your bag of tricks, just remember who your opponents are and use the right tools to deal with them. For example, don't start launching 3x barrels into calling stations just because you have been studying/working on bluffing in different spots. That isn't to say never bluff, but as you get better, you'll find great spots.

It all starts with preflop. Enjoy the ride
    Oh believe me, I've been playing this game for ten years, I wouldn't ever allow one session to inflate my ego like I've mastered this game haha I know it won't always be easy. But yea I definitely want to remain mindful of paying attention to opponent's styles, and not just stick with a 123 style. I'm just going to continue to study and grind and hopefully improve a little every time, win or lose.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne Hood wrote: »
    I made a few mistakes (even bluffing half my stack early on, leaving me with $100 an hour in)

Other than the fact that you got called in hindsight, how do you know this was a mistake?

jeffnc wrote: »
    Wayne Hood wrote: »
    I made a few mistakes (even bluffing half my stack early on, leaving me with $100 an hour in)

Other than the fact that you got called in hindsight, how do you know this was a mistake?

Well to be honest, I can't even remember the hand, I think it was one I misread them on a draw, but was actually behind the whole way, and triple barrelled. But again, it was a hand that I quickly moved past and didn't even think about it again, I focused on making it all back.
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    The course is very helpful to beginners, mainly due to "play tighter preflop" and "don't pay people off", you should see a decent increase in your winrates if you follow these 2 rules.

I disagree with the "you check? I bet!" mentality Ed suggested, even at 70% frequency. You might find success for a few hours, but even the most novice players will quickly catch on to what you are doing, and will make your life miserable.
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Yanming Z wrote: »

I disagree with the "you check? I bet!" mentality Ed suggested, even at 70% frequency. You might find success for a few hours, but even the most novice players will quickly catch on to what you are doing, and will make your life miserable.

This works fine against novice players. For as long as it works. Punish them until they adjust, and then adjust better.
  • Keith BrandtKeith Brandt Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Congratulations and thanks for the post. You've motivated me to study even harder on CORE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file