Best play here?

Wayne HoodWayne Hood Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
So I was up $600 yesterday and told myself "last hand" as I was grabbing my racks planning to rack up. I look down at AA in the cutoff, 2 limpers ahead, so I make it $14, BB 3b to $50 and original limper calls. I make it $300 and they both fold. I showed and said "well $100 with aces on my last hand isn't bad." Should I have played it this way, pushing them out and being happy with what I had made, or should I have stuck with the plan, maybe made it $200 (effective sizes were BB about $400 and EP about $100 behind after his call) to play it out?

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I would have 4 bet to $150-$175, this way you might squeeze some value from hands like JJ and AK. This sizing set up nicely for a flop shove, given the stack sizes.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    with stack sizes being 200bb? If you can get them to put in 30%+ of their stack preflop your on the rack track.

There are multiple options here, but with EP only have 100bb left I kind of like a min 4 bet to to $100. BB will likely call the min raise and that will leave EP with a jam most likely as he will already have put in 2/3 of his stack. When EP jams you can click it back once more.

2 limpers
    Hero makes it $14
    BB 3 bets to $50
    1 limper calls $50
    Hero 4 bets to $100
    BB calls 4bet $50 + $50
    EP 5 bet shoves shoves all in $150 total.
    Hero 6 bets to $200
    BB calls $100 more with $200 behind....

kind of crazy to see a 6 bet at low stakes but now your getting him to put in half his stack.

If you don't like that I would make it $140 as a 4 bet because usually there is a $100 pain threshold on a lot of players for low stakes. By making it $140 he is calling $90 to win $50 + $50 + $140. If you get both players to come in or even just one player the BB will only have 260 behind (less than a pot size bet).
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10
    Very often, the 3-betting range is really narrow - especially in the US.
    By 4-betting, you're just screaming "I've KK or AA!" and you're losing a lot of value postflop as it scared Villains away.
    The alternative from @Austin work if Villains are rather prone to get hooked by a nice preflop call-toprice - especially BB who is the trigger.
    Otherwise and most of the time, I'd rather flat and "play poker" postflop with a very nice overpair and a low SPR.

I think you surely let a lot of chips on this table.
  • Wayne HoodWayne Hood Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Well no I'm aware my sizing was too big, I was aware when I did it, I was perfectly happy taking the $100 pot being that this was legitimately my last hand. My main question here is in retrospect should I have approcahed this like a normal AA hand and tried to play for stacks, or is my "I'm happy to take this and be done" thought acceptable?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭
    It's never acceptable to lose value. Yes it's good to take 100$ on the spot, but it's a lot less than what you should have won. Such play take your winrate down.

By asking the following question
    Wayne Hood wrote: »
    My main question here is in retrospect should I have approached this like a normal AA hand [...] ?
    It looks like a mindset leak you should deepen and correct.
  • Wayne HoodWayne Hood Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Thank you, you're right, I probably did leave some big money on the table
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    @Red is entirely right...

...and...

If you knew in your heart that you didn't really want to play this hand of poker (like it seems that you were unwilling to do), then doing what did and getting your $100 is really a bailout: don't even take the cards in the first place. It will just end up poorly for you in the long run.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    @Red is entirely right...

...and...

If you knew in your heart that you didn't really want to play this hand of poker (like it seems that you were unwilling to do), then doing what did and getting your $100 is really a bailout: don't even take the cards in the first place. It will just end up poorly for you in the long run.

I usually end up doing something similar, where I tighten my range the last orbit and take the free hands. If im up a lot ill play normal and even risk quite a bit of profit, but if im close to even it really jeopardizes my play to uber nit.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    (rewrite later)
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne Hood wrote: »
    My main question here is in retrospect should I have approcahed this like a normal AA hand and tried to play for stacks, or is my "I'm happy to take this and be done" thought acceptable?

When you think about it, isn't your decision when to stop and start a session somewhat arbitrary? So why is this hand so special? Isn't your life one long poker session? If you were going to be sitting out the next hand to take a phone call, would that have been a good reason to make this an important stopping point? Because unless you're planning on quitting poker sometime soon, when are you really going to "be done"?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file