TT in the SB

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
V is a new player. 3rd hand at the table. Has called a raise once and folded on a dry flop. Seems pretty recreational based on the way he stacks his chips.

1-2-3+ 6 straddle
3 limpers
Btn V ($275) raises to $30
Hero SB :Tc :Th raises to $100

Before I post the rest of the hand (in the spoiler) I wanted feed back on 3 betting or flatting here.

On one end there is $59 in dead money, including my SB, and BTN should have a wide range. Not too wide for a rec player but I expect hands like A10+, KQ+, 99+ to raise. Vs a new player im not sure how much he folds yet. I elected to 3bet cause overall my hand is better vs his range and i don't wanna set mine with bad implied odds. Im likely to stack off post on a low flop and didn't want to playing a guessing game on Qxx Jxx Kxx boards.

Better to flat to 3 bet? I understand vs a 4 bet i likely have to call it off $175 to win $400 or so if I think he shoves AK. Took a higher variance line rather than going 4 ways.
btn called and hu to the flop. QcTs7s board which I shoved and he called $175 all in. Asked if i had AA or Kk and I said no,
he said "i got you then" and showed KQo. I was wondering why he ruled out hands like QQ or AQ.. Guess he figured i had AK and would play position with KQ? Idk...

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm flatting here often - without further info about BU.
    Biggest point in the hand is, imho, not eventually low implied odds, but the SPR.

When you raise here, it's good to iso BU. Especially if BB/Straddle are rather prone to squeeze. BUT Stacks are really shallow with the straddle: against BU, if called, you will be on a less than 1 SPR on the flop. Even preflop we could argue BU to either fold or 4-bet shove instead of calling because of low SPR. And I'm no big fan of going all-in with TT - even if we shall be +EV, our range edge shouldn't be that big and we are looking for high swings.
    On the other hand, calling give incitations to BB and STR to come along. Putting you completely OOP on the flop, with a vulnerable pair in a rather small SPR (looking for a ~2.5 SPR). But still you've more maneuverability and can adapt your play to the flop and Villains.

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a straddled, limped pot, he's incentivized to steal the dead money and you are incentivized to resteal. Looks good.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    Im likely to stack off post on a low flop and didn't want to playing a guessing game on Qxx Jxx Kxx boards.

I agree with the play to 3bet as @persuadeo noted.

Question: do you mean that you're only stacking off with three cards under a ten on the flop? If the board had been, say, J85 or Q92, then you wouldn't be shoving?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Im likely to stack off post on a low flop and didn't want to playing a guessing game on Qxx Jxx Kxx boards.

I agree with the play to 3bet as @persuadeo noted.

Question: do you mean that you're only stacking off with three cards under a ten on the flop? If the board had been, say, J85 or Q92, then you wouldn't be shoving?

MW if i had flat called then im not looking to go broke. As played im shoving 95% of flops in a 3 bet pot. With the exception of quads, TOP set on dry board, boat etc which I may milk the hell out of it or check 1 street to induce. I think hands like TT+ & AQ all pretty much get played same way in this spot.

3 bet range could actually be much wider then listed above. I take some higher variance lines but not always. Not sure what I would do with a hand like KJs or A10s.. Guess I would flat and try and realize my equity MW. Even then most flush draws or TP will be harder to fold in MW pot with low SPR. If that situation comes up ill be sure to post it, given shallow stack depth due to straddle.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    As played im shoving 95% of flops in a 3 bet pot. With the exception of quads, TOP set on dry board, boat etc which I may milk the hell out of it or check 1 street to induce. I think hands like TT+ & AQ all pretty much get played same way in this spot.

Gotcha. I might have misread or misunderstood your initial post. Makes sense. Thank you!
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with flatting is that you've got an awkward SPR out of position when on about 75% of flops (overcards) you're reduced to bluff catching. By 3-betting you can just shove almost all flops (as you said) without worrying about that too much because the SPR is < 1 now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file