Is it grimy to punish someone if you know their hand?

jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
I know poker players say "I'd felt my Grandma if she sat at the table", and I take that mental approach too. However, I had a situation where I could have taken this poor old woman to the cleaners, but I just didn't have the heart. She raised UTG 2 callers I call in the BB with :AD: :5D: , flop comes out 2 diamonds she checks her cards PRETTY visibly next to me and I see she flopped top set of queens, she bets rather small I just call I turn the flush I check to her again she bets again....and I'm stuck with a moral dilemma. Now I don't make an active attempt to see other players cards, but when they check them where they pull them up off the table, not just like hand covering and they check em and I James Bond peer out of the side of my sun glasses....but I also when she checked her cards didn't immediately say "ma'ma hold your cards down".

So poor Grandma I just check call her all the way down, win a decent pot, could have stacked her she only had like $175 I won about $85 and everyone asks why I didn't raise, I just say I'm nice, and I whisper to her later "Ma'ma, make sure you hold your cards down when you check them, you inadvertently showed me your hand", and she came back "oh I was just so excited! Thanks for letting me off easy!" Well later she keeps joking with me saying "eyes forward", and of course the story gets out to the table, income "angling poor Grandma jokes", "seat change quick this guys peeking for cards" zzzzz w.e I can take a joke but this felt like one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" things....even though I can't really say that, because if she was some douchey player, I would have 100% used that information to my advantage and gone for the kill. Selective wings/horns?

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job. We don't exactly have a shortage of scum bags in poker, so no need to join up.

Use the info against one of them, not Grandma.
  • LeonardLeonard Red Chipper Posts: 249 ✭✭
    I had as similar situation where the nicest grandma next to me raised her cards up and I saw them. Long story short I had top two vs her AK. I could have made the max but I just told her to fold and stop betting.

What made it harder was, we were having a decent conversation about life prior to this hand, about life regrets, her husband passing, etc,

I'm not built that way to take Grandma money.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seen a player that was so bad!!! Guy next to him kept lifting his cards up and guy kept looking. Some how the guy kept losing to him despite knowing his cards lol....maybe just missing all his draws and couldn't take advantage of the situation? I mentioned to the dealer to let the old man know he is showing the cards. Old man hard of hearing, the dealer said "we've told him 3 times already." Some times people just don't care.

I think I might raise on the turn or bet big and just tell her i have a flush and i know she has a set. Let her make a decision, so now its even playing field. If she wants to draw against a made hand she can, but now you both know each others cards. But you have a made hand and you have position.
  • SicSemperSicSemper Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, you can't stack off Poker Grandma. Let her hang out and have her fun. Your hourly isn't worth your soul. Confused Poker Grandpa also deserves the soft touch. Even if they're slowing down the action.

Extinction Level Drunk Girl can also get a pass. Extinction Level Drunk Girl Playing With Her 5/10 Boyfriend's Money is fair game.

Once any of them become cantankerous and belligerent to the table or dealer, you're morally bound to start playing 74o and felt them with the 356 straight.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As said @kagey : as good poker player - the ones usually taking the money - we are also entertainers. So being nice with rec / bad players, against whom we should have a nice / strong edge, is good to keep the game positive and alive. A happy game is usually a lucrative game. We save granny some $ here, we are going to get them later - with her giving us a smile :)

I read but one thing which is a problem:
    Austin wrote: »
    I seen a player that was so bad!!! Guy next to him kept lifting his cards up and guy kept looking. Some how the guy kept losing to him despite knowing his cards lol....maybe just missing all his draws and couldn't take advantage of the situation? I mentioned to the dealer to let the old man know he is showing the cards. Old man hard of hearing, the dealer said "we've told him 3 times already." Some times people just don't care.
    This should be corrected. On one side to protect this bad player, on the other side to keep the game fair. If some players can see his cards, even if he folds preflop, it gives them an advantage : against the bad player - obviously - and against the field, as they have more info.
    In this situation, calling the floor is an option imho.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file