No-Limit Poker

Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
Sorry for my ignorance but I rarely ever play limit poker. I understand there is some strategy that differs from no limit but simply put, is it just having a tighter range and raising when you hit no matter what?
Tagged:

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Jaymes B wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but I rarely ever play limit poker. I understand there is some strategy that differs from no limit but simply put, is it just having a tighter range and raising when you hit no matter what?

The rabbit hole is never ending. It wouldn't be fair to narrow the game down to that idea.
  • Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Ninjah

Got ya. Do you know of any good literature that I could read to get a feel of the differences?

Thanks.
  • Sean OSean O Red Chipper Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited March 20
    I wouldn’t look at it as trying to find the differences. As a guy who learned limit first, I was only able to really dive into NL when I quit trying to compare the two.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jaymes B
    one of the key differences between limit and no limit is "leverage"
    it nearly impossible to make a limit opponent afraid of your bet (they'r standardize)
    so they have the "safety" of calling you down to the river without risking much
    and if multiple players are in the pot, they often have correct odds to call you down.
    you can't really deny equity in low limit HE games.

I've found that player pools are often softer (worse players) but it's impossible to "protect" your hand.... (you can't go all in at any time - unless you're short stack)

In these types of games - the pots go multiway so hands like JT and suited connectors perform well.
    Your calling HE range should be wider than with NLHE. And your raising range should be narrower.

But many concepts in found in NLHE apply such as the Gap Theory, table image, position matters and raising for value. Consider reading a dated, but smart poker book - "Poker Theory" by Sklansky (if you haven't already).

Bluffing in HE is nearly impossible. So saving a bet is what separates the consistent winners from the break-even/losing players. GL
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/comment/63706#Comment_63706

I use to have a twoplustwo site book marked with a full break down strategy for FLH and a bunch of charts saved. I only studied it for about two weeks but decided to stick with NL without really playing FL.

Twoplustwo had a link by abdul and for the life of me I can't find it. Everything color coated for raising, calling, folding and why your doing certain actions.

Quick tip is to take out any type of fancy play you have with NL as you can't 3 bet for FE with 86s. FLH becomes a value heavy game. Big pairs, suited broadways, high SCs etc. Other wise for the most part won't be profitable.

If i find the link ill be sure to post it....been searching for like 30 minutes lol

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Internet Texas Holdem by Hilger is a perfect introduction to Limit HE (both live and online). There are other books to go to after that one depending on the type of game you want to play.

While there have been books or articles aimed at the Limit player moving to NL, I'm not aware of any that go in the other direction.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say limit is similar but you don't use polarized bets. Everything is merged depending on player opening. If they open Qjo from utg then you 3 bet KQ and KJ. Iso when possible and don't get crazy with off suite hands in MW pots.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit Holdem is just like any other form of poker - it plays differently when you're playing against tough players than against weak call stations, and when you're playing 4 handed than when at a full table. You can bet there is bluffing in limit poker.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Just to put in some simple differences...

1)Limit poker is all abut protecting the pot, while no limit poker is about protecting your stack.

2) Form point 1) Check raising is a must in limit poker. Its often the only way to protect the pot, deny the correct odds. Missing a bet is often much less important. But in no limit poker, check raising can be important, and has its place its not the same level of importance as missing a bet has a much higher significance, and you can of course deny odds by your bet size..

3) Getting players to lay down some equity when the bets are small (even if it means putting a bit more in against another player who's ahead on the flop, is often worse much more in limit poker.

4) Limit poker has almost no big lay downs. As you often only have to call one more big bet on the river getting 10 to 1 or moer....correct folding with solid made hands, is much rarer.

One of the best books for understanding small stakes limit poker is

Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
    by Edward Miller and David Sklansky

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭
    Eazzy wrote: »
    1)Limit poker is all abut protecting the pot, while no limit poker is about protecting your stack.

What do you mean by this?
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Eazzy wrote: »

What do you mean by this?

In limit poker, your stack is not in play. You don't have to worry about committing your stack. You do have to worry about not giving players the right odds to call, can't always be done but your goal is to work ways to do that. At no limit, as your stack is always in play...your opponent can shove all in (effective stacks), so you often have to be careful of not putting too much of your stack forward, and "committing " or pricing your self in if he does shove.

This can lead to pot control type lines, often giving a free card, type lines, because if you denied the correct odds, or charged something, it could commit your stack.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file