Bet sizing tell on consecutive monsters?

Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
Just got back home from a great Vegas trip where I had a pretty rare/sick streak of hands at the Venetian.

$1/2 max buy-in $300 7-handed opponent had just sat down maybe an orbit earlier and was acting very fidgety and erratic. Would only get into hands where she raised pre. I was in the 1-seat, she was 2 seats ahead of me.

H ($400ish) UTG looks down at :Qs :Qc and decide to go for the limp raise. Two limps behind and V ($320ish, described above) SB raises to $16 as I had hoped. Folds to me and I raise to $60. Only V calls.
Flop comes rainbow, J high with a gutter SD. H c-bets $100, V shoves, H snaps and holds. V doesn't show.
V immediately re-buys for max.

VERY NEXT HAND

A couple limps to same V ($300) on BUT raises to $16. Folds to H in BB and I look down at :Qd :Qh
I raise to $60 again, V calls. My thoughts were to make it look like I was just trying to push her off her hand with the same action.
Flop is 7 2 3 w/ two hearts.
I decide to check since this is a safe flop for me but doesn't hit my range and give her a chance to bluff at it. V shoves and H snaps, QQ holds again and V again immediately re-buys for max.

TWO HANDS LATER

Folds to same V ($300) in HJ who again raises to $16. Folds to H on BUT with :Kd :Kc this time. I decide to go for the same raise to $60 since there's no way I could be this lucky...
V shoves this time and I call and hold up again.

My thought process during these hands were around consistency. I wanted to put pressure on a tilted opponent who likely would give less and less credit to my hand strength. But my question is, would you change the raise sizing to hide your hand strength? And would you ever attempt this kind of play with weaker hands?

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your situation there is no reason to raise any less. I would attempt the play with weak hands in a vacuum, but not in a hand history against a tilted player who is thinking "he can't have it every time". Against others at the table who are thinking rationally though, they've noticed the hands you've shown down, so it would work against them more likely.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be checking QQ too often. Rather bet small. Your first hand your hand is face up with 4x squeeze and large cbet sizing. No need to go that large with stacks only being 300.

You raise 60 pre
    Flop (120) 723
    Spr 2
    Effective 240. No need to bet 100 here. 40-60 to balance your AK hands and offer her some FE if she wants to make a play.

Besides that large cbet and unorthodox check allowing V to hang herself looks good. Limp 3 bet QQ and Ak bottom of my range. Maybe Axs at a small frequency.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    agree with @Austin . If you think your range doesn't hit on hand 2, then you have to re-think about 3-betting and call-to-3bet ranges in low stakes. QQhx on 732hhx is a big hit.
  • Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks @Austin. I was thinking during the first hand raise to just go to 3x at $48, but was thinking $60 would be better to isolate b/c of the other two limps.
  • Christopher AudretschChristopher Audretsch Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    >2018
    >limp reraising

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file