Facing river blocker bet ..

sandhu31sandhu31 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
Live 1/3 game with effective stacks of 350

-2 limps and Hero raises to $25 on the Button with :TS: :9S: (even $20 raises were getting called by 3-4 players so I decided to size up a little here).
-Only the SB calls (He's an older Chinese man who I've played with a lot. Tight player..I can already narrow his range down to 99+, AQo +, AJs +, KQs.

Flop comes :JS: :5S: :2H:
-SB Checks, Hero bets $35. SB Calls
-I think his range is now just pocket 10s+, AJ and AQss+

Turn comes :8D:
-SB checks again and Hero bets $70. (I thought about checking back and giving up since his range was so narrow but this was the perfect card to barrel since I picked up equity with the OESD).
-SB Calls

River comes :JC:
-SB leads out for $45.
-I don't know what the optimal play is here..I understand his tendencies and I know what he's trying to accomplish with the blocker bet. Most likely he has QQ or KK.. I've seen him flat hands like that to large pre flop raises before.

The problem is, if I jam, I don't think he'll have the discipline to lay it down even though his purpose with the blocker bet was to see a cheap showdown. He will often just shrug and call. Many of the older Asian gentlemen at my games use this tactic and I still don't know the best way to combat it effectively. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    Well if you don't think he's gonna fold, then the action is simple, just fold yourself.

In the long run though, you need to jam on some blocking bets with some value hands. If they fold, you can show them what you shoved with. Build up the image where your river shoves being value heavy. Eventually they will be reluctant making block bets against you.

The turn double barrel is a bit spewy. The card is not a good card for the PFR range, and you block all the draws that he might call the flop and fold to a double barrel. It's not a scare card to any made hand on the flop, so your fold equity is small. Just check behind and realize your equity on a brick turn like this.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 691 ✭✭✭
    Yanming Z wrote: »

The turn double barrel is a bit spewy. The card is not a good card for the PFR range, and you block all the draws that he might call the flop and fold to a double barrel. It's not a scare card to any made hand on the flop, so your fold equity is small. Just check behind and realize your equity on a brick turn like this.

Disagree with this line of thinking. You most likely have 30% equity. This turn bet size is about breakeven with 0% fold equity anyways, so it doesn't really matter (Was that GTO that just slapped me in the face??)

I would actually size up on the turn, because you should be polarized right here, to something slightly over $100, like $105. Given the 30% you would only need like 2% folds to make this profitable.

What is villain possibly folding?? All overcard floats, which he apparently has a ton, 99 TT, might fold AK spades or AQ spades due to lack of direct odds. You are uncapped, he might fold QQ.

The point is you never really know what they actually have or what they will fold at any given moment, but I'm pretty sure do this 100 times and you are going to be generating way more than 2% folds

IMO

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Sully on sizing up on the turn if you are going to bet. The 8 improves your equity but doesn't change the board.

Also curious why you think they fold 22-88 preflop? In a very aggro game i see people do it from EP or i guess stacks not offering more than 15 : 1.

Lets look at your turn decision.

Turn ($125) :JS: :5S: :2H: :8D:
    Sb ($290) checks
    Hero ???

If you bet $105 like sully is talking about and get jammed on (unlikely) you will be calling $185 to win $520 and have to call off with 15 outs.

You have him a range of
    TT, AsQs, KsQs, AsKs, AJs

Your trying to make a total of 9 combos to fold on the turn? Also you block 99 and TT.

If i call the turn cause i think you have an over pair im betting small on the river as well cause i don't want you to check back.

I'm actually leaning towards a check back on the turn. It unbalances my range because over pairs i am betting 90% of the time but when ranges are this narrow and FE is not there I think a check is in order. If ranges were wider say 66-TT, AsQx, J10o type hands then I would like a more polarizing bet.
  • sandhu31sandhu31 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Appreciate the input guys. That makes sense.. I can see how betting bigger or even checking back might make sense in this situation. GL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file