Study Time vs. Table time

Timothy BryantTimothy Bryant Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hey guys,

I started Core recently. I am enjoying it and very happy with the depth of content. I know this following question may have a wide array of answers but just thought I would spark the conversation.

Knowing everyone learns differently... have any of you found a good ratio of study time to table time? We can say weekly for the purpose of this post... also, just looking for an average here, I know everyone is different. I am also not looking for upcoming tournament studying to be factored in.. clearly most serious players will put extra study time in before a big tourney or Vegas trip.

However, in terms of daily grinding and improving cash game profitability - what is a good average to consider? 50-50, 30-70, etc. ?

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's like 35\65. Play about 10 hrs a week and study for around 5.

Depends on the content. Some times I won't go the entire week if im binging on some videos. Other times if content is boring I'll just play like 15 hours.

If it's lower level play i feel you can play more and study less if you have the fundamentals down..

If your newer to the game i feel like it should be 75\25 in favor of studying.

High stakes could be the same as well where games might not run as often so you can study more and play less.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,130 -
    A somewhat tangential point that may be relevant... In my experience, most players who play a lot of live poker fail to fully utilize the table as a learning laboratory. If possible I think you should have a coherent plan that links theory with practice and recognizes that playing is part of learning. For example, if you're working on some particular concept, focus on applying it in your next live session. Doug Hull's "missions" In Poker Plays You Can Use I & II are examples of this. A self-reflective debrief after a session is also useful.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭
    Knowing everyone learns differently... have any of you found a good ratio of study time to table time?

There is no best answer to this as it depends on so many things. In my own experience I feel like I can go in spurts one way or the other and have never tracked or follow some kind of X hours of study. I have often just done big blogs of deep dive study as time/interest/materials allow.

That said I do think it is really helpful to create some kind of small daily study based on hands that came up during my play.

I feel like a better questions to explore are what material(s)/tools should I study? How can I get the most out of my study time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file