“Protected fold equity”

Sean OSean O Red Chipper Posts: 298 ✭✭
I heard this term on a non-RCP podcast and am wondering if this is an idea people here use, and if so, how? The scenario in question was we miss the flop in position against both blinds on a J65 two tone flop. The commentator advocated a delayed Cbet and concluded that analysis by saying our fold equity is protected on this board. I understand the words and the idea at a high level, but unsure how to analyze a board for this trait, or if it’s even that important. What do people think? Thanks.

Comments

• Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    Are we the PFR? Was it a limp Pot? What are the stack size?
  • Sean OSean O Red Chipper Posts: 298 ✭✭
    We are PFR, from the button. I don’t remember stack sizes, more interested in the concept than the exact spot.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a range is protected, it is because strong hands exist that allow for rational actions, such as both value bets and bluffs on AK3 for the PFR. In this case the commentator is suggesting the strong hands in hero's range might take this line and thus the FE is carried over to the next street.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Sean O wrote: »
    [...]more interested in the concept than the exact spot.
    Yeah, but the pre flop action and stack depth defines ranges so...it is kind of important if you want to understand a concept ;)

This spot is not really the same when you limp and SB limp and BB checks vs. a raise and both blinds calls or you limp SB raises, BB calls and you calls etc. So the concept might not be applied in the same way post-flop or as relevant. That is why i asked to have the good variables to try to understand the "Protected Fold Equity".
  • Sean OSean O Red Chipper Posts: 298 ✭✭
    @Adam Wheeler it was 6max online small stakes, 10nl I think. 100 B.B. deep. Folded to button, raises 3x with QTo, both blinds call. Flop J65 two tone, we don’t have any of the right suite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file