10 NL AKs BB

Chacarron91Chacarron91 Red Chipper Posts: 20
edited August 2014 in Online Poker Hands
888 Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG+2: 117.8 BB (VPIP: 18.47, PFR: 4.63, 3Bet Preflop: 1.72, Hands: 631)
MP: 53.6 BB (VPIP: 27.66, PFR: 17.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 48)
MP+1: 193.3 BB (VPIP: 18.79, PFR: 11.60, 3Bet Preflop: 5.23, Hands: 868)
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 18.50, PFR: 13.88, 3Bet Preflop: 6.44, Hands: 742)
BTN: 95.5 BB (VPIP: 17.68, PFR: 13.26, 3Bet Preflop: 3.23, Hands: 185)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
Hero (BB): 128.8 BB
UTG: 110.1 BB (VPIP: 21.99, PFR: 5.79, 3Bet Preflop: 1.03, Hands: 1,085)
UTG+1: 181.6 BB (VPIP: 22.54, PFR: 7.75, 3Bet Preflop: 1.96, Hands: 142)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :Ad:Kd

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 3.5 BB, fold, SB raises to 11.5 BB, Hero calls 10.5 BB, fold

Flop: (26.5 BB, 2 players): 5♣ 7♣ Q♣
SB bets 13.2 BB, fold

*** my thoughts:

this is such a weird spot.. I see no real good option.. 4b/f? if i call IP then I need to hit an A or K and hope he stacks off with like AJ,AQ, or KQ... I can 4b and call it off if thats the case tho?

If hes not the type of player too stack off with those hands and only 3b like JJ+AK then im not getting much value out of him when I do make my hand otf.

the 3b sizing isn't fishy looking either

sorry if this is a basic spot but i'm uncomfortable here...
thoughts? thanks!

p.s. I'll read the "how to post a hand thread" just in a hurry right now! (will read the thread and replies later)

Comments

• ScottValScottVal Red Chipper Posts: 108
    I'm kind of new to the forum, but my feeling is that calling pre-f here is probably the best move. He doesn't have to stack off for you to make money. You just have to often win the pot.

It's just a really bad flop for you. There are three clubs, and you don't have any clubs.

I would often float the flop with two OCs, but this might not be the best spot. There is no shame in folding.
  • Sir_McBoozeSir_McBooze Red Chipper Posts: 43
    Does anybody really 3-bet light at this stake full-ring? The average 3bet% at your table is 2.8%, and it's being pulled up by some guys who look like regs. The randoms all have like 1% 3-bet, which is aces, kings, and sometimes queens. You're 34.6% against QQ+. Adding AK gets you to 41.9%, which is barely enough to call...but not enough to get it in pre.

In this kind of scenario, AK is not a "big hand" like it's "supposed to be." You can't bluff and you're well behind your opponent's range - it's just not clear how you're going to make money. Flatting is gross - if you flop an ace you probably win but you probably don't get paid, and if you flop a king and money's going in you're often going to be losing. Getting it in preflop is obviously terrible. 4bet/folding makes no sense, since you're not getting folds and there are no worse hands that can continue.

It sucks, but with literally no info I'd just fold preflop. This same kind of thing happens often at low-stakes live, where people rarely 3bet pre. It used to annoy me a lot, but sometimes you just have to respect the tightness of your opponent's range.

BTW, as for the raise sizing, I think it does look fishy, because he clearly just clicked the "pot" button, which is what all fish seem to do when they have a big hand.
  • Chacarron91Chacarron91 Red Chipper Posts: 20
    Thanks for the replies guys!... I'm leaning towards a fold pre, specially since I could potentially get squeezed by the CO
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    Fun spot!

So I hate folding AK preflop, especially in resteal type pots. I'm personally 4bet/stacking this for 100bb. I'm not going to call the resteal (since my range is totally turned face up by doing so), so my options are between folding and 4betting. Folding is safe, but in RS pots I think we can generate an edge by 4betting (we pick up the pot PF uncontested a lot, and the other times we have decent equity imo). Eyeballing some simple math, so long as he resteals 9%+, the 4bet/stack is fine.

If you feel the average RS in your game is 10%+, 4bet. If you feel the average RS in your game is tighter, then I'd likely fold.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file