Help Me Find Villain's Range

In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
The game is 1-2 NL on The Strip, early AM. It's a good 9 handed game with 7 tourists and many multi-way pots. V in this hand has been running well, hitting his outs and getting paid for his generally loose play. He's sitting on $800, down a bit from his high of $1000 in a $300 max buy game. He's a tourist, male, 40ish, my typical customer. I'm playing $750. My game is snug generally but I've been blessed with more than my share of good starters tonight so I appear a bit looser than I actually am.

V limps UTG+1, another L from a short stack ($120) two folds to me in HJ with :Kc: :Ks:. I raise to $17 looking for no more than one caller. It folds back to V and he calls. Short stack folds.

Here's my problem: My range for V's type of play here is the null set. I NEVER limp early then call 15 more OOP in a likely HU hand against a competent player. Literally never. The large stack sizes don't sway me, more like they scare me. I'm not getting into a hand OOP when we're 350BBs deep and I need to call a big PF raise. Maybe if it's some mega-donk on tilt I might take a shot with set mining in mind but ...

But tourists don't think like that. He's running well. He's having fun. He's had a few cocktails.

What's a reasonable range for him and how well does it connect with a flop = :Ad: :Td: :7d:? Add in the tell that he never peeks back at his hand, IMO one of the most reliable tells in live poker, screaming either suited in diamonds or another suit with no FD but not mixed.

I was lost here. I planned to dog it all the way and just show it down.

All comment appreciated.\par

Comments

• snafusnafu Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited April 24
    Probably check flop and bet most non-diamond turns if checked to. Likely calling a turn bet depending on size if he leads into you.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Being deep stacked V has much more than 10:1 to call with all pp, more than 15:1 to call with all Axs, and more than 20:1 to call with all suited connectors and gappers.
    The flop is a very fit or fold flop for him. I would bet 2/3-3/4 pot on flop. The reason being he will likely autobet the turn if you check. Putting you in bluff catching with a marginal hand for this board. Flop bet is a one and done. Your hand has at most one street of value. Though I might bet 1/2-2/3 on turn as a bluff if checked to. Depends if I think he will fold everything from weak Ax and weak pairs. If he calls I fold to a river bet or check behind as no worse hand will call
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    "Generally loose tourist" doesn't seem like enough information to start constructing his range here. If he's hit a lot of hands, you should have seen some of what he's showing down to get an idea of what kind of hands he plays.

Presumably you've been playing with him for a little while. What have you noticed about his play? Does he limp often or generally raise first in? If he does limp a lot, does he call raises after limping?

If he plays a decent amount of hands, usually raises first in, but not always, I'd put him on something like 22-77, 65s-QJs, T9o-Qjo, KTo, KJo, ATo, and sprinkle in some random suited aces, suited gappers, and J7s, Q8s type hands. This is where I would start, then take hands out or add hands in depending on what you have seen from him.
  • baum baumbaum baum Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I think regardless of the exact Range of your opponent this hand should be a Check/call turn
    Your hand is No value bet and way to strong to bluff.
    You can fold on some bad turns like a Diamond

• YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    ..Add in the tell that he never peeks back at his hand, IMO one of the most reliable tells in live poker, screaming either suited in diamonds or another suit with no FD but not mixed.

Is this true? Players checking hold cards for singular diamonds makes sense but not the inverse. Not checking may not indicate anything at all. Maybe they just remember their hand.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Yosh wrote: »
    ..Add in the tell that he never peeks back at his hand, IMO one of the most reliable tells in live poker, screaming either suited in diamonds or another suit with no FD but not mixed.

Is this true? Players checking hold cards for singular diamonds makes sense but not the inverse. Not checking may not indicate anything at all. Maybe they just remember their hand.

Very few casual players can remember mixed suit hands. It's also a good false tell to send when YOU have the flush.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Yosh wrote: »

Very few casual players can remember mixed suit hands. It's also a good false tell to send when YOU have the flush.

I'd not bet a dime on it, because if you really pay attention, player will always double or triple check their hand. It's more player dependent than board dependent - to my observations.
    Here's my problem: My range for V's type of play here is the null set. I NEVER limp early then call 15 more OOP in a likely HU hand against a competent player. Literally never.
    On one side you've plenty of material, free or pay-per-view, to study limping range. Be they from a casual unstudied player or from an aggro studied player who has a good limping strategy.

On the other... don't be ego centred. We - and yourself - shall not care what is, would or should be in YOUR limping range. You should care about Villain's limping range.
    This means you have to pay attention to him. Here, it means pay attention to the previous preflop limped-called hands he showed. Was is any AXs ? AXo ? Small SC or small suited gapers? Baby pairs? Suited high-low combos (K2s, Q6s & co) ? Weird loose combos like 82s ? Did he limped strong stuff like broadways or AA ?
    Also you can use reverse thinking: if he already opened once 33 or KTo, you may think he will open similar hands and then shouldn't have them limp-called them here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file