Physique Contest

RTLHPokerRTLHPoker Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
A few days ago on a whim to prove a point I decided to enter a Men's Physique Contest that is on May 12th which is in about 15 days.

I'm 40 years old and have done exactly 0preparation for this.

Here's what I look like as of a few hours ago.

cufp3avunj9w.jpg

I'll be doing everything I can in the upcoming days to educate myself and give myself the best shot at winning.

We all need to get outside of our comfort zone in order to grow.

Once you've accepted limitations upon yourself you have put yourself in a cage.

Comments

• RTLHPokerRTLHPoker Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Oh yeah feel free to shoot any questions.

I'll answer them as time permits.

Talk Soon,
    RTL
  • dave3096dave3096 Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Good luck. You obviously have put in the time and effort. Congrats.
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭
    You were a shoe in until you shaved the beard. GL, May the lyon stay uncaged.
    Wiki_Leaks wrote: »
    You were a shoe in until you shaved the beard. GL, May the lyon stay uncaged.

A lion has learned to put his pride away as it only stood in his way.

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a physique competition in terms of symmetry or size? Both?
    -I know your big on keto, I've always found it very difficult to gain mass without substantial carbs. You gonna add em in, or just eat more (I don't do bulk/cut cycles anymore, I don't have the time or really the interest. But I remember during some of the bulks just chewing chicken and like....I couldn't swallow it lol. Ugh.) GL sir!
    - What's your routine gonna look like? How will you shift it from what your doing now? That's not a lot of time lol. I know guys who spend 6 months preparing for contests.
    - Anyways, I don't think 15 days really gives you time to make substations physic transformation, not even if you were juicing more than minute maid lol. GL, especially if you wanna start doing more shows/competitions. It's a whole different beast! I got friends now who do strongmen/powerlifting meets, it's a serious dedication in the pursuit of excellence.
    edited April 2018
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    Is this a physique competition in terms of symmetry or size? Both?
    -I know your big on keto, I've always found it very difficult to gain mass without substantial carbs. You gonna add em in, or just eat more (I don't do bulk/cut cycles anymore, I don't have the time or really the interest. But I remember during some of the bulks just chewing chicken and like....I couldn't swallow it lol. Ugh.) GL sir!

Men’s physique is a relatively new category in the bodybuilding/physique competition world in which contestants perform quarter turns wearing board shorts (about an inch above the knees), and are judged based upon muscularity, body conditioning, symmetry, and stage presence. Contestants should be fit and display proper shape and symmetry, but extreme muscularity and conditioning such as what’s typically seen in bodybuilding is frowned upon.

Gaining size is a calorie game. It's easier to eat dirty and gain weight but I'm after health not vanity. Can't gain weight on keto? I was drinking upwards of a gallon of raw milk a day to gain weight. I want optimal mind and body performance. I'm not willing to sacrifice my health to gain size ever again. I could gain 15 lbs in the drop of a dime and I've carried over 25 lbs more of size than I have here in the recent past. I'm exactly the size I want to be right now. This is what feels most natural for me. In fact here...here's a pic of me at my heaviest roughly 6 years ago.

zzpyf6fje4zu.jpg

- What's your routine gonna look like? How will you shift it from what your doing now? That's not a lot of time lol. I know guys who spend 6 months preparing for contests.

Not gonna change a thing. I'm doing this to prove a point. I'm just working on fixing my posture because it's not so great as well as strengthening my core.

Once I have experience from this competition I'll have a better understanding of what I'll need to improve upon for next time.

I'll have no issues implementing whatever changes are necessary.
    - Anyways, I don't think 15 days really gives you time to make substations physic transformation, not even if you were juicing more than minute maid lol. GL, especially if you wanna start doing more shows/competitions. It's a whole different beast! I got friends now who do strongmen/powerlifting meets, it's a serious dedication in the pursuit of excellence.

Yeah I'm aware of all the powerlifting/strongman stuff. I'm not a fan of being unbalanced and most of those guys aren't too flexible, agile, not much stamina, and not much speed.

Not exactly my interpretation of what health looks like.

I'm about balance and nature.

I use to want to be very strong but muscles aren't what makes one strong.

Talk Soon,
    RTL
    edited April 2018
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention - my calves are what I'm most proud of.

Mainly because they seem to be so difficult to develop.

Talk Soon,
    RTL
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RTLHPoker wrote: »
    Can't gain weight on keto? I was drinking upwards of a gallon of raw milk a day to gain weight. I want optimal mind and body performance. I'm not willing to sacrifice my health to gain size ever again.

This is confusing.

edited April 2018
    jeffnc wrote: »
    RTLHPoker wrote: »
    Can't gain weight on keto? I was drinking upwards of a gallon of raw milk a day to gain weight. I want optimal mind and body performance. I'm not willing to sacrifice my health to gain size ever again.

This is confusing.

Sorry to hear that.

We don't have to agree on what health looks like or have the same opinions on things.

This is my interpretation.

My body of work.

edited April 2018
    What? I mean your English syntax was confusing. Are you trying to say that if someone is having trouble gaining weight on keto, they should try drinking a lot of milk? Or just the opposite because you think that was foolish?
    edited April 2018
    Syntax seems fine to me.

Keto is heavy on fat.

Milk is mostly fat.

I can tolerate milk.

I used milk as a massive source of calories to gain weight.

I ate dirty though.

Back in 2011 timeframe. I documented it. I'll post some pics.

Talk soon,
    RTL
    Thanks, you've been really helpful. Time well spent for you.
    edited April 2018
    Yeah no problem.

It's all very clearly spelled out in the primer.

Talk Soon,
    RTL
    Ha, see I tried the milk route...and I just got fat lol. I just seem to run better on carbs, tried zone and keto, it just didn't work as well for me as other diets. My performance suffered. I gave them a fair shake, and I'm leaner and stronger with roughly a 60/30/10 on workout days CPF and a 20/60/20 CPF on non-workout days. That's why I believe all diets work...just depends on the individual and their goals/genetics. Tinkering for life.

*6 year ago you was pretty jacked. I'll always take a bit more muscle with a reasonable amount of fluff over being absolutely shredded like you are now. I'm comfortable staying between 12-15% BF, sub 10 just requires a lot of dedication and discipline that I just can't give in my current situation.

I forget who proposed it, it's called something like the "body" triange. On each point of it, a facet of "health". Performance, longevity, and relationships I believe (social). Point is, if you wanna break the squat record, your giving up longevity and health, and likely will have to make sacrifices socially. You aren't going out partying with your buddies Saturday night chasing girls and drinking Jack. The load on joints, training regiment, nutrition regiment...undoubtedly takes a negative tool on your body. You wanna be a boss? You gotta pay the cost. Same boat, if your being very balanced and healthy, your not gonna be squatting 600 pounds. Your diet, exercise, all of that, you just cannot expect elite performance without the sacrifice to health. No pro athlete comes out of a career unscathed. Anyone who is a total health nut doesn't "eat" certain foods that can be a strain on social relationships. I was at a wedding once and I saw a cross-fit indoctrinate not have a piece of wedding cake cause "it wasn't part of their diet plan". That's just obnoxious. No one said you had to eat the whole cake jackass, just have a piece and a few bites, you won't RUIN YOUR GAINS BRAH. Anyways, seems like your pretty squarely in the middle of the triangle, which is where I find myself in my life wanting to be. I'm not a college athlete anymore. I'm not trying to break any lifting records. I just wanna be healthy, happy, and reasonably fit, and try to help people achieve whatever goals they want.
    edited April 2018
    Just to be clear, your post first showed up with one sentence - "Syntax seems fine to me". So I was being sarcastic. I guess you edited it, so now I can say sincerely thanks for explaining :)

OK, so it sounds like you are saying that you were drinking milk while on a keto diet. You're saying milk is mostly fat. It's mostly water actually, but I know you meant in terms of nutrition. But I'm still not sure it's mostly fat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk#Nutrition_and_health

According to that, it's mostly carbohydrate in terms of weight. It looks like it might get most of its calories from fat (since fat is higher in calories than carbohydrate), but still that seems like a lot of carbs, and from what I've read liquid milk is not something one drinks on a keto diet, e.g.
    https://www.ketovangelist.com/the-keto-guide-to-dairy/

And that's part of why I found your earlier post confusing.
    *6 year ago you was pretty jacked. I'll always take a bit more muscle with a reasonable amount of fluff over being absolutely shredded like you are now. I'm comfortable staying between 12-15% BF, sub 10 just requires a lot of dedication and discipline that I just can't give in my current situation....Point is, if you wanna break the squat record, your giving up longevity and health... No pro athlete comes out of a career unscathed.

I think about this sort of thing a lot. If you were in charge of making some person absolutely as healthy as you could, and they had to do whatever you told them with no regard to their feelings or happiness, what would you do? It probably wouldn't be playing any sports. The exercise would have to be really specific. Stressful enough to cause bodily change, but not so stressful to damage you long term. A diet that might not be very enjoyable, but super healthy. As if we even really know what that is, but we'd probably get pretty close.

Our genes are what evolution created pragmatically, but only in terms of what "works" in the balance of nature, not what is truly "optimal" when we have much higher control beyond standard evolution.
    edited April 2018
    The "I ate dirty" part is where I should clarify.

Milk isn't keto.

Heavy whipping cream is. MCT Oil is.

You are correct.
    edited April 2018
    I was eating all sorts of sugar to gain weight. This included Double Stuff Oreos and Trader Joe's Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I would pound pizza non stop, burgers, milkshakes, etc

I do NOT recommend.
    edited April 2018
    Yep - every athlete that has pushed their limits will get injured.

It's inevitable. If you don't push your limits you'll never know what they are.

I've had 6x right knee surgery from sports, broken foot, rotator cuff issues, pulled hamstring, sprained ankles, busted lips, busted toes, etc etc. etc.

It's just something you accept if you play competitive sports. Injuries happen.

You just need to be safe in adapting your exercise to rehab the injury and prevent any further damage.

This is why knowing the basics is crucial.

You never want to force anything upon anyone.

Everybody's body is different and will respond differently. There is no one universal answer.

Everyone needs to find out for themselves - that's what I'm saying.

I'm not trying to say do keto. I'm trying to say people need to start making better choices so they can be more healthy in the future and avoid chronic disease.

I think somewhere along the line people assumed I'm pushing keto. I have no attachment to keto. I've never tried to be lean in my life so I figured I'd give it a try. Keto was a great way to burn fat without doing cardio.

OK I understand, thanks.
    BTW for any of you older guys interested, I found this book very interesting. A lot of stuff in here that is not just weight training. If you have't read much about weight training I think this will maybe surprise you, but it's the other stuff that fits in well with this discussion. Well worth the read.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982522770/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    BTW for any of you older guys interested, I found this book very interesting. A lot of stuff in here that is not just weight training. If you have't read much about weight training I think this will maybe surprise you, but it's the other stuff that fits in well with this discussion. Well worth the read.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982522770/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I just added it to my list because the forward was written my Nassim Taleb, who is one of my favorite authors.
    I think somewhere along the line people assumed I'm pushing keto. I have no attachment to keto. I've never tried to be lean in my life so I figured I'd give it a try. Keto was a great way to burn fat without doing cardio.

Ya, I think there was some big confusion on that.

TBH here's what I think having a "center" in the "health triangle" would look like.
    - Weight lifting x3-4 a week.
    - Yoga on "recovery" days (Wed, Saturday).
    - Sports (recreational) can be subed in on any of those days
    - Recreational walk, jog, hike on weekends as a sub for yoga.
    - Basically, just do something active 6 days a week, Sundays you can just sit on the couch and watch football or whatever. Just move every day, for an hour or so.
    - Food is 80/20, 80% good, 20% "bad". Alcohol consumption is in social situations and reasonable. "bad" foods are the same, moderation. I think that this is a reasonable way to live, and people unfortunately take the "all or nothing" approach. You got kids and a stressful job? Can't make it to the gym on Monday? Nothing to stop you from doing 20 minute circuit of push-ups, rows, pull-ups, and goblet squats in your living room/basement. It's better than nothing. But the litany of excuses I've heard from people is staggering.
    - Sleep in a dark room 8 hours a night. This one is actually the hardest for all my clients. Changing their sleep schedule is their biggest hurdle.
    - Drink more water. Water bottle next to desk, fill it up, drink it. You'll just mindless drink it, much like mindless snacking chips. Then you'll have to go pee. When you stand up, that's an added bonus cause sitting kills, and hey you can fill it up again. 2 for 1!
    I like that.

Wine?
    Ok guys I'm going to try a new approach.

I want to inspire change.

It's never too late to make an improvement to one's health.

I want to show you guys what I've learned of discipline and focus over the next two weeks.

Talk Soon,
    RTLH
    edited May 2018

Ya, I think there was some big confusion on that.

Yeah I'm not quite sure why. Go ahead and read the last sentence of the primer. Here's a direct cut and paste.

You don’t have to go to the extreme of ketosis in order to make changes for the better. A ketogenic diet is a great goal if it makes sense for your personal situation.

Apparently there's confusion in those two sentences.

I'm not sure where but let me know what part isn't clear and I'll try to clarify.

Talk Soon,
    RTL
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    I am closing the thread.

Play nice here, all of you.

I am here to talk about poker, so are the other mods. We don't want to sort out good guy and bad guys.

There are other forums on other sites that have devolved to trolling, leveling, off-topic forum hells. Go there for that kind of stuff.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
This discussion has been closed.