Trips vs CR on Wet Flop

PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 83 ✭✭
New to 6-max since I stick mostly to full ring. Still trying to adjust to the "looser" play. In this hand, I don't have much of a read except BTN had a big stack when I started and seemed willing to 3B against possible steals. I really don't have much of a read on the Villian

Merge - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 44.7 BB (VPIP: 40.51, PFR: 10.44, 3Bet Preflop: 2.71, Hands: 671)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 27.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
Villian: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.33, PFR: 18.67, 3Bet Preflop: 4.55, Hands: 76)
Hero (CO): 168.8 BB
BTN: 446.7 BB (VPIP: 28.13, PFR: 9.38, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 34)
SB: 36.2 BB (VPIP: 19.20, PFR: 1.73, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 350)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :8h:8d

fold, Villian raises to 2.6 BB, Hero calls 2.6 BB, BTN raises to 9.5 BB, fold, fold, Villian calls 6.9 BB, Hero calls 6.9 BB

Flop: (30 BB, 3 players) :Ks:Js:8s
Villian checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 8 BB, Villian raises to 23 BB, fold, fold

MP wins 43.5 BB

I have several questions for this hand.
1. Villians stack is large enough to set mine. Is 88 strong enough for a 3B against an unknown? A raise might have prevented BTN from 3B, which I viewed as a squeeze because I saw him make similar 3B a few times already.

2. I have mixed feelings on my fold. At the time, I felt it was a good fold because I felt like I might be behind to trips or a made flush. However, if I restrict his CR range to AA (with As), KK, JJ, AsKx, AsQx, AsJx, KxQs, KJ, (so two pair or better, nut flush draw (some have top pair), and 2nd nut flush with top pair) then I think I have 59% equity on the flop. That would make it a bad fold, correct?

3. If it was a bad fold, then is this a call or a raise? Villain has 67.5BB after his CR, so I my raise would likely push him allin. I might see 2 pair fold, but then again, if he has two pair then he might put me on a flush draw and call.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate it. Just think of the combos that villain opens with and then check raises small.

JJ?
    I think KK 4 bets

Not sure if he check raises a hand like AsKx or KxQs.

Not a ton of combos. Some times i chalk it up as a cooler but I think your slightly ahead or about 30% to improve or crushed. Not a great spot to be in.

I think preflop is fine. I might donk the flop though since this board gets checked back a lot. I think btn will have a pretty wide range here so he will likely check back half his range.
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Thanks, didn't really pay attention to CR size. I was planning to CR myself but villian beat me to it. Two more questions arise:

1. Had villian folded and allowed me to CR, what size would be appropriate? Pot is 38 BB, bet it 8BB, and I have 90.5BB. I would think a CR to 46 BB will leave me with a good 113BB shove on the river, which will be a little less than pot.

2. Donking the flop seems strange to me. I associate donk bets as weak top pairs, yet I know I can use it against thinking players to take advantage of their aggressive tendancies. If pot is 30 BB on the flop, how large would you donk bet be? Bet 15BB? Bet 20BB? I would think a donk bet could also be make with Nut flush draws to balance trips on this board. And if I donk, I think I would be committed to calling villian's CR if he makes it (I have him covered), but I woudn't be committed versus BTN
    if he raises me (he has me covered).
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If villain folded and you were going to xr i would go 32-36bb and go from there. Villain made a pretty small xr. It was 3x but btn only cbet quarter pot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file