Moving up from 1/3 to 3/5

N AN A Red Chipper Posts: 147 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Live Poker Hands
I've been taking a shot at 3/5 in the last 2 sessions (moving up from 1/3)

The max buy in is $1000. But I buy in for $500 with 20x bankroll.

But in the last 2 sessions, I lost 3 buy ins on super unlucky runouts.

top set lost to runner2 nut flush
AK, someone slowplayed AA and AKx on the flop
Flop the nut straight, someone turned quads.
flop 2pair vs set

I play tighter because the game is bigger than what I'm used to.

Does playing tight make it easy for opponents to read you?

If anyone has an experience in moving up stakes and how to adjust, I really appreciate it.
Tagged:

Comments

• YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    I think the best adjustment for moving up is no (macro) adjustment whatsoever.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭
    N A wrote: »

Playing tight isn't bad
    Playing tight straightforward is
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could it not? But then you have a card advantage that you couldn't have if you played looser. Your job is to find the optimal blend of all pluses and minuses for you.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WardoYT wrote: »
    I am stuck with poker, recording artist, and coaching.

Life is tough man, lol

• TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've been taking a shot at 3/5 in the last 2 sessions (moving up from 1/3)

The max buy in is $1000. But I buy in for $500 with 20x bankroll.

But in the last 2 sessions, I lost 3 buy ins on super unlucky runouts.

top set lost to runner2 nut flush
    AK, someone slowplayed AA and AKx on the flop
    Flop the nut straight, someone turned quads.
    flop 2pair vs set

I play tighter because the game is bigger than what I'm used to.

If anyone has an experience in moving up stakes and how to adjust, I really appreciate it.

I am a strong advocate of taking shots. Don't worry about losing the first sessions. I always play with winnings from that day. As you get more comfortable your confidence from the lower stakes will carry through. For me I have taken 8 shots now at 5/10 when I had very profitable 2/5 days. Lost a little ba couple sessions, broke even most sessions, won a little a couple sessions. But now when I play I am quite comfortable at the table, with the play, the players, and the bet sizes. I am also more aware of my weakness. This all has carried over into my 2/5;game making that game improve. I did the same process in moving up from 1/2-1/3 to 2/5.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I think like everyone said, long as your rolled, it's fine. It still hurts to get beat down like that on your first couple of shot takes, but those are just coolers. When I play $2/5 now, I play my same overall strategy, just tighter. And instead of limp stealing, it's open stealing with 3-bets, but clearly at a much smaller frequency than at $1/3.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave East went to my high school. He was just David Brewster back then, crazy to see him make it. Also, if you ever see him, remind him that no-one has forgotten his ESPN "not top 10" dunk where he didn't get hung on the rim....he elevated...and just sailed short of the rim and landed. He just like thinks he's Jordan on a fast break takes off from like the foul line and just like lands under the basket and is called for a travel lol it was great.
  • N AN A Red Chipper Posts: 147 ✭✭
    For perspective as a professional, I don't sit at $5/10 with less than $75-100k live and $150-200k online. Losing 5% of your bankroll, in perspective of finance, is a gargantuan yearly loss, so losing that in a day to me would be pretty upsetting. So a -7BI day really sucks for me, but it doesn't meaningfulness affect my risk of ruin.

You did tell me to wait until I had 30x
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    So... against my better judgement, I googled lil tay... well this is a clear bad beat for humanity (sorry, dad metaphor).

This should contend for subchapter in a sad chronicle, made generations after we are all gone. This is me at my most hopeful.
  • Fernando OFernando O Red Chipper Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Here is a bankroll formula guide, sent to me by a friend, that incorporates win rate and standard deviation*

Bankroll Formula = (9*Variance)/4*Winrate

So say you are a 2/5 guy with a Winrate of $50/hour and a St. Dev of $500/hour. You will need a roll of $11250.

If you have a depleting bankroll you will need more, as will you if you have a higher St.Dev due to high risk/more profitable plays.

If you find that you have a low winrate and a high St.Dev you will have a ton of work ahead of you before considering moving up.

F

*The Standard Dev is based on an average of what is expected of a winning player of live NL - where all that came from, me no know.
  • N AN A Red Chipper Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Fernando O wrote: »

So say you are a 2/5 guy with a Winrate of $50/hour and a St. Dev of $500/hour. You will need a roll of $11250.

How do you calculate the variance?
  • Fernando OFernando O Red Chipper Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Fernando O wrote: »

How do you calculate the variance?

St.Dev squared
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file