Chopping in a Live Cash Game

Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
When you are in the blinds and everyone folds around. Is it wise to chop or play?

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭
    Jaymes B wrote: »
    When you are in the blinds and everyone folds around. Is it wise to chop or play?

With a higher drop its wise to drop. In Cali they have a 3 blind game i.e $1 btn $2 sb $3 bb. With a $6 drop. If you call sb and bb checks there is only $1 in the pot. If btn sb and bb all limp there is $9 in the pot but $6 go to the house.

A lot of players will chop 7 handed or more, but won't chop 6 handed cause you end up chopping half the hands and it's usually reduce drop to $3.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Each poker room will likely have its own culture. I don't feel compelled to insist on one particular preference. As a default, I tend to chop*.

If you do want to play those hands, though, then I would let your neighbors know when you sit down that you don't chop. That's cool.

Finally, I would strongly suggest consistency regardless of which you choose.

*My local poker has a code word "flamingo": if both the small blind and big blind say "flamingo", that means that they have a bad-beat-eligible hand (note that both must have one). Then, the custom is to check down until the river. Only if your bad-beat hand made it do you bet enough to get to the minimum pot size.
  • Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Austin

Where in California do you play?
    Jaymes B wrote: »
    @Austin

Where in California do you play?

Bay101. Yourself?
  • Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Austin Morongo & San Manuel in Southern California.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 778 ✭✭✭
    I think it depends somewhat on your theory of poker. Not chopping often annoys players. To a Bart Hanson this is good, get them tilting. For me more of my profits comes from players liking me and often not trying to play their best against me (I play a lot of afternoon reg fest type games).
    Eazzy wrote: »
    I think it depends somewhat on your theory of poker. Not chopping often annoys players. To a Bart Hanson this is good, get them tilting. For me more of my profits comes from players liking me and often not trying to play their best against me (I play a lot of afternoon reg fest type games).

-EV, but yesterday to add some fun into the game we were doing $20 flips at $3/5 when it came time to chop. Its a $2/$3/$5 game BTN-BB, so three of us throw in $20 and check it down.
  • Barry PorchBarry Porch Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    If it's a friendly game and people are chopping, I'll chop. If there's a bad beat or high hand jackpot or something, usually someone will say they'd like to see a flop to let the other player know they have an eligible hand.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I will chop every time, if the other player does not chop then I raise. Most people get tired of being raised and will start chopping. It is weird how some tables will provide for a lot of chops and other times you can play for like 10 hours and never see it folded to the blinds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file