First instance of sudden aggression from a nitty player

LeMonshadeLeMonshade Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited May 13 in Online Poker Hands
Am very interested to hear thoughts on this hand. I'd been playing at the table with villain for about half an hour, first time we'd met so not too much info I can draw on, although the 45 hands I do have suggest a nit. Villain didn't have a full stack when I joined, and I didn't see any major action from them in that half an hour. They'd been playing pretty consistently, occasionally opening 2-3BB, calling raises of the same size, but folding if they didn't have it. I hadn't seen any 3 bet action from V yet, or Cbetting across the streets.

888 Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 12.8 BB (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 16)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
CO: 190.9 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 15)
Hero (BTN): 133.9 BB
SB: 81.2 BB (VPIP: 17.07, PFR: 14.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :QS: :QH:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB raises to 11 BB, fold, Hero calls 8 BB

Flop: (23 BB, 2 players) :TC: :JH: :3S:
SB bets 13.5 BB, Hero calls 13.5 BB

Turn: (50 BB, 2 players) :5D:
SB bets 26 BB, Hero calls 26 BB

River: (102 BB, 2 players) :8H:
SB bets 30.7 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 30.7 BB

How would you play this hand, the first example of strong aggression from a new villain? Would you call pre-flop, and would you call the flop?

Villain's 3 bet sizing pre-flop seemed very strong and I almost folded because it just screamed a very big pair, and even AK isn't great for me. And on the flop, on reflection every decent pocket pair V could have (TT+) ruins my QQ. However, the 1/2 pot bet felt weak. Taking a stab at this stake I've witnessed a lot more calling stations or players betting with air. From the flop to the river either V was consciously making it easier for me to call with 1/2 pot bets, or they weren't as strong as I'd thought pre-flop and weren't trying to hide it in their bet sizing.

What would you put V on?

And a more general question - how do you apply a base level of knowledge to the players around you at a certain stake? Does that understanding come over time? Playing so aggressively from the SB and Cbetting out of position implies a strong hand, but only if you've done a little reading to recognise that. Villain not auto-topping up his stack felt obviously fishy, and 3 betting on the larger side OOP could imply a lack of bet sizing and SPR awareness, or they could be sitting on a monster and using 1/2 pot bets to extract value...

Comments

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭
    4B/C all day long with QQ BvB especially for only 80bb.

You need much better read than 17/15 after only 45 hands to do anything different
  • talonjohntalonjohn Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Villian also has 16 combinations of J10 as a 3-bet bluff, right?
  • LeMonshadeLeMonshade Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Mmmm. I have barely any stats but I'm not sure JT would be in their 3bet range in the SB as a resteal. At the stakes I'm playing it's quite an advanced move. Plus it would be 9 combos, no?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kenaces wrote: »
    4B/C all day long with QQ BvB especially for only 80bb.

You need much better read than 17/15 after only 45 hands to do anything different

This would be the standard play and long run probably most optimal until you have a larger sample size where villain only 3bets 2% or something over 500+ hands.

Calling is ok but you may get bluffed off your hand on Axx or kxx flops.

If stacks were deeper then you could potentially turn QQ into a bluff vs some players and 4bet fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file