Table Captain v.s Playing Backwards..

EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Live Poker Hands
There seems to be two very different lines of thinking presented here on how to handle aggressive players...and the coaches seem split down the middle.

On the one hand Ed and Doug like playing backward poker....don't 3 bet them with AQ do it with with A3s ...slow play your big hands....call down your bluff catchers....type thing...

On the other hand James and Christian seem to favor a take control of the table approach. Don't let them be the table captain. Widen your 3 bet range...raise and re-raise top pairs+....don't ever get into the position of turning your made hands into bluff catchers...

I realize I've over simplified...but it does seem like almost completely opposite approaches

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    They are diff styles of play
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    There are different kinds of aggressive players. If you run into a bonafide maniac, then trying to out-aggro him can result in a peen-measuring contest where you end up throwing money at each other in a high variance situation. But there are aggressive players who aren't maniacs - they will give you credit and fold if you have been mostly quiet.

Ideally, against good players who are trying to get a read on you, you can mix it up and do both. In one recent memorable session, I got away with 3bet bluffing a guy preflop with KJo (getting a fold) and then 3 betting him again with aces and winning a decent pot. I also check-called him for two streets out of position (against a scary turn ace no less) with top pair and won again. This last play had the effect of actually slowing him down postflop against me, since my check didn't always mean I was giving up, which gained me a free turn or two later.

Some of my success was certainly luck (I was making correct plays against his holdings), but I was also making it hard for him to simply run me over.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    taglius wrote:
    ... then trying to out-aggro him can result in a peen-measuring contest

lol! Well done!
    taglius wrote:
    ... Ideally, against good players who are trying to get a read on you, you can mix it up and do both.

I do thing this is the best way to address it. They'll be maniacs that won't let you out-peen them, opening your range against them seems to be the better of the two options from my experience, let them hang themselves. Valuebets on the lighter side so they believe they can punish a 'weak' play.

Aggressive players that aren't just click-betting because they can but have a method to the madness, a more balanced approach is necessary. You'll need to fight back on occasion with sub-standard holdings, call lighter, and pick your spots a little more carefully than against maniacs.

I don't really see there standpoints as opposites, but complementary. I really think it depends on that particular aggressive player's tendencies on which approach you should use as a default and adjust from there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file