Board Texture?

WickedWicked Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
In the last week I have heard Matt Berkey, Christian Soto, and Fausto Valdez all mention board texture as a key in determining post flop play. Core touched on it, but is this a vitally important concept to study and if so, how exactly do advantage, neutral, and disadvantage boards affect your post flop decisions?

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is vitally important! @Christian Soto's Solve for Why videos are indispensable here.

If forced to give a quick reply, I'd write this: boards that you give you range advantage offer you more opportunities to apply pressure to your opponents -- they have far more justified reasons to fold. The opposite is true with range disadvantage. Range neutral boards, IMO, are opportunities to make good profit since most people just look to get to a cheap showdown -- you can both value bet and bluff profitably on these boards.

One final note: any conversation about boards MUST take into account your particular opponent(s) in the hand and how they react to pressure and whether or not they seem to be able to read and respond to perceived board advantages, too.
  • Russ IRuss I Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    @Wicked are you a RedChip pro member? If so, there's some videos in the library that discuss board textures, range advantage/disadvantage. If not, I would suggest investing in a couple of months of the pro membership. At $50/month and cancel anytime, it's a great value. And since you're just getting back into poker, the CORE lessons would be valuable also.
  • WickedWicked Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Finished core, and I did sign up for the pro membership. Core touched on the subject. I will look through the pro videos to get this concept together. Thanks
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 572 -
    As a PRO member I'd suggest you start with Ed Miller's Evaluating Board Texture. but as Russ says there is a lot of excellent video content on this topic in the PRO library.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file