Live 1/2: Does bingo player ever do this with worse ace?

1337h4x0rlolz1337h4x0rlolz Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
For learning purposes, effective stacks are 100bb

Hero has A9o on the btn

6 limpers

I raise to 10 (yes i know this is small, i should have made it 15 with so many limpers)

Blinds fold and 5 of the 6 limpers call.

Flop is AKTr with $65 in the pot

Checks to the CO and CO, a bingo player raises to 50

Hero folds, all players fold. CO does not show.

The question is, is top pair 9 kicker good enough to call here?

My definition of a bingo player is a player who plays to see a flop with a wide range and plays fit or fold postflop. When they have a strong hand they will often donk bet with a large sizing because they are afraid of being drawn out on.

I suspect he has top pair with Q or J kicker, two pair, a flush or a set of TT. Is it possible he has QQ or JJ here or A with a worse kicker? I definitely dont think he does this with 2nd or 3rd pair

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Insta muck, even a LAG won't go crazy in a 6 way pot on an AK high board.

Your standard raise size for 1-2 should be $10+2 per limper, so even $15 is too small, $22-25 is more appropriate.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I raise to 10 (yes i know this is small, i should have made it 15 with so many limpers)

@1337h4x0rlolz below is correct sizing for what @Yanming Z said. However, this is a simple over limp spot or fold. Vs this many limpers you usually have little fold equity. I would raise something like AJ+ KQ+ A10s+ 99+ vs 3 or more limpers.
    Your standard raise size for 1-2 should be $10+2 per limper, so even $15 is too small, $22-25 is more appropriate.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    My definition of a bingo player is a player who plays to see a flop with a wide range and plays fit or fold postflop. When they have a strong hand they will often donk bet with a large sizing because they are afraid of being drawn out on.
    The answer is in the question

Austin wrote: »
    @1337h4x0rlolz below is correct sizing for what @Yanming Z said. However, this is a simple over limp spot or fold.
    Limping A9o ? You are turning Hero into one of the bingo poker players he wants to fight!

A9o has little nutted ability: no straight, no flush - except with 4 nice cards on the board. TP AXX may be dominated - some limp up to AQ - and TP 9XX is vulnerable.

And against so many limpers, you can't expect to use position to make them all fold postflop: one will hit the board somehow and give action (either betting or calling). So bluffing is out of question against so many opponents.

Hence, A9o is either fold or raise. Choice depending on FE - how people react facing a raise after limping: mostly limp/fold or limp/call?

Note: When I was in Vegas, last Summer, I "bombed the limper" regularly: raising them to a nice 35-40$. It's a tool mostly advocated by Doug Hull on RCP (look for ex: https://redchippoker.com/attacking-limpers-podcast/ ) , but, as discussed in an old thread, this is a tool, not a whole strategy. (And thus, I don't do it very often nowadays)
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are limping KQ AT-AQ which 1\2 players do because they don't bet unless they hit a piece, building a pot against this range is not good.

I use to raise A9o all the time, I found limping behind and keeping a higher SPR is more profitable.

This is just my experience on the low stakes. I'll mix it up occasionally as you might of saw the A7o hand I played in a similar position where im raising and 3 barreling with no pair or draw on flop or turn. Not everyone is going to barrel like this and a less experienced player for the most part imo should just limp behind.

You will see a lot of people limp or fold this hand because it has less playability postflop. You wanna iso with hands not because of their raw equity, but their playability postflop. A9o is not one of those hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file