UTG - Call
MP+1 - Call

Pot $279 - River comes Qd

BB - Check
UTG - Check
MP+1 - Bet $150

BB - Calls All-in for $67
UTG - Calls

Will Post Result if anyone is interested.
Tagged:

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why you are over betting with a made hand.

1) I would try and top off preflop if you can.
    2) I would likely just bet $10 on the flop and like $30 on the turn and just continue to bet the river. Over bet forces a lot of Ax to fold on the turn that you would rather keep in instead of pricing them out.
  • Jaymes BJaymes B Red Chipper Posts: 64 ✭✭
    @Austin With a made hand don't you want to get players to play for stacks? I do see my line as aggressive but don't you want people on draws and lesser made hands to pay to see the next card? I know there is a balance but in this case without having the nuts; putting my opponents in a difficult situation is what you are looking for no?
  • Joe MartinezJoe Martinez Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Well...you're both right...that's the thing about poker...

When you have a value hand, like the hand above, chasing away lesser hands by over betting forfeits all of your value. That would be terrible. At the same time if your opponents are calling stations or they think you bluff too much/this move looks bluffy, then over betting is a great way to extract maximum value.

The key is, like you said Jaymes: " I know there is a balance..." And like always its situation specific.
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    I have to agree with Austin on topping off. try to start as many hands as you can with 100+BB. 50BB strats are very different and frankly i dont know much about them
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overbets are good when your opponent is likely to have a strong hand. Here they called a measly $15 on the flop and haven't showed any aggression.

Now lets say you raised $12 from the button and sb and BB called. Flop AQ7 now they can have some stronger aces in their range and makes over betting more attractive against hands like AT-AK with a heart or against two pair.

Not every made hand you have to try and play for stacks, you have to bet vs the range you think villain has. This being a limped pot what hands do they limp call with vs two over bets?

:AH: :QH: :7H:

You hold :9H: :6H:

You beat 54h, 85h, and lose to about 24 other combos of higher flushes. On the river you now also lose to Q7s, 77, AQ (unlikely limped).

Why did you check the river? Were you only targeting AQ and 77? Are you hoping they bluff Khx for your last 67? If your worried on the river for putting your last 67 in the middle, there might be a problem with an earlier street. Maybe just jam 142 on the turn if your going to over bet over half your stack.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file