1% - Adjusting to Super Spewy Aggrotards

keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Subscription Products
Hey Guys, Bronze League Poker here. Probably a rung above plastic league if you ask me. Trying to develop sound 1% fundamentals to build on. Watched all the videos but i still feel kind of overwhelmed.

How should you adjust to super spewy aggrotards? we know these guys dont fold and can bluff wildly so i figure depolarize and load up on value instead of bluffs. my flop ratio ended up being 3 value for 2 bluff, where the bluffs constitute Ace high that could have some show down value.

i also didnt try to balance as that seems pointless vs this opponent.

Here is a screen shot of the spreadsheet

Flop - https://imgur.com/zQPKBFV
Turn/River - https://imgur.com/rbEeIwa

How should i be building this range vs this opponent?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    Hey Chris,

Can you layout your basic assumptions in 1-2 sentences about these players? Then, layout why you feel deviation from the 70% model make more sense (either in terms of frequencies or the ratios).

(Do your best and don't worry about being right...just work through this!)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Split, its hand 2 from the workbook.

Super Nit in the cutoff - Plays TT+ AQ+, folds everything else. I pretend like they arent even there, because 95% of the time they arent.

Super Spewy in the BB - my assumption is that this player calls preflop with a super wide range, has to see every flop, so essentially a calling station. I assume an 80% preflop range. I think this player dumps most of their worthless hands on the flop, but likes to call down with any pair and most 4 card draws. I do not think he will call a river bet with anything less than a pair. If he makes a pair or better, he spews off and doesnt fold.

On the Flop - Either continue at 70%, or possibly increase to 90%+ given that we expect the player to dump most of their preflop range on flop. So we can exploit a folding frequency by continuing wider. If assigned an 80% preflop range, they are only continuing 55% of the time on this board assuming any pair or 4 card draw. Actually, a 1/2 pot c-bet is likely to be outright +EV with any two cards, needing 33% of folds to break even where 45% of folds are expected.

In terms of range construction, i would look to depolarize and consider anything middle pair+ pure value against the range this player will call a flop bet with. I would consider Ace High as a 'bluff' i guess since it has some showdown value if checked behind on the river vs this opponent.

I am not really interested in running low-equity to the nuts bluffs like gutters and backdoor draws because they wont generate folds later on if villain catches a piece of the board.

So on the flop, continue either 70% or possibly more, with a value loaded depolarized range to exploit a fold frequency we expect on the flop, and then be able to continue later on if called, knowing folds will be hard to generate.

Turn: Because villain called the Flop bet, I expect his range to have hit this board in some way, either some kind of pair+ hand or 4 card draw.

The turn Jack is probably better for my range as it doesnt really improve Villain, however i do not want to increase continuance here as the card will not generate any extra folds. If he had a weak pair, now he has Two Pair! if he had a 4 card draw he still has it and will chase the same as before. I dont expect this player to consider reverse implied odds when drawing on a paired board.

So i chose to continue at 70% with another value heavy range with bluffs consisting of Ace highs that could either spike an Ace on the river, or win at showdown by checking back. I decided to dump weaker non-club aces, and keep suited clubs and AKo AQo.

River The brick card is also good for my range as it causes much of villains turn call raise to miss (all the missed 4 card draws). However i do not think i want to continue betting at 70% frequency because much of this range is going to fold to a river bet, having missed. He is not going to call a river bet at 70% frequency, thus breaking the 1% rule which allows me to break a rule as an exploit. I dont know what my frequency should be in this spot, so on the river I kind of reverted to the old way of playing - looking at absolute hand strengths vs villains range and making a decision. i am aware that this is probably the wrong approach.

I think his river call range is going consist mostly of pairs, not including a 3. I chose to value bet 8X+, because holding an 8 causes me to block the number of 8X combos villain could have... meaning it is more likely he holds a weaker pocket pair or some kind of 4X hand. If i dont hold an 8, then the chance villain is calling down with 8X increases so i chose a showdown line with hands losing to 8X.

I also chose to check back all missed Ace high hands since they will win at showdown vs missed draws, but will only get called by a better hand.

Zero equity bluffs here dont make sense because i expect a super spewy guy to call down with any pair+, so getting him to fold a better hand is not going to happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file