A7o how's my play

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
Villain loose splashy but has been folding a lot to me. He plays a bit laggy raising 35%+ hands and playing maybe 60% or so, so when he limps here I know he has a pretty weak range.

4 limps
Hero As7c btn raise to 25
Co calls only
Flop (60) :Th :5h :2c
Co check
Hero bet 25
Co call
Turn (110) :6s
Co check
Hero bet 55
Co calls
River (220) :Ac
Co check
Hero bets 85
Co calls.

Looking back at this play I think the turn is a pretty terrible bet but I can still get hands like 85s, A3o, etc to fold.

Once I get there on the river I feel like I have to bet as villain is capped at one pair Tx or below, maybe something like 64s.

How much should I bet on the river? We were like $800 effective.

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Austin wrote: »
    Villain loose splashy but has been folding a lot to me. He plays a bit laggy raising 35%+ hands and playing maybe 60% or so, so when he limps here I know he has a pretty weak range.

4 limps
    Hero As7c btn raise to 25
    Co calls only
    Flop (60) :Th :5h :2c
    Co check
    Hero bet 25
    Co call
    Turn (110) :6s
    Co check
    Hero bet 55
    Co calls
    River (220) :Ac
    Co check
    Hero bets 85
    Co calls.

Looking back at this play I think the turn is a pretty terrible bet but I can still get hands like 85s, A3o, etc to fold.

Once I get there on the river I feel like I have to bet as villain is capped at one pair Tx or below, maybe something like 64s.

How much should I bet on the river? We were like $800 effective.

The turn bet isn't terrible. Imagine if you check back and V leads 80 into 110 on the river, as this line is very common, what do you do? Your turn bet is good becaus, in addition to folding out some weak pairs, it lets you keep the lead, acting sort of like a blocking bet, checking back the turn effectively increase your cost of going to showdown. Only check back turn if you are prepared to call down any river bet, or just giving up on the hand.

Whether the river bet is good depends on the opponent. If the guy is loose passive and willing to call down with second pair then the bet is great, which sounds like the player you are describing. The sizing is good too because Tx probably won't call off a normal sized bet. Against a nit the bet is less good because you are only getting called better. Against a good TAG or LAG the bet is terrible, because you reopen the action giving them a chance to bluff you off your hand with a missed draw.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    My instinct is that it looked good overall, but that could be because you got bailed out by the ace. Good value betting on the river. What would have done had, say, a king come on the river?

As to your turn bet question: had you not bet the turn and just gotten called, then how confident would you be that you were ahead on the river? The flip side to the turn bet, though, is how often does this splashy V fold to a double-barrel with a mediocre hand?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    villain called with 2x. Not sure what his kicker was, maybe 23s or 4s.

I heard Bart talk about this on his live call in show recently where villain is basically thinking I either have pocket AA, TT or nothing here given my line. Called it subconscious polarized thinking.

If a K came on the river he would of likely caught me bluffing for around $120. Good read by him I guess. Not sure why he thought I was bluffing as I've only showed down good hands or he got tired of me not showing down a hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file