Vegas June 2-5 Cash recommendations?

CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 141 ✭✭
Hi All,

Headed to Vegas next weekend and plan on playing 1/2, and maybe the PH daily deepstack (staying at PHo). With the WSOP being underway, does anyone have recommendations on cardrooms to head to? Is the action going to be that different from room to room?

Generally I like heading to the Harrah's/Ballys calibur rooms to punish drunk tourists, and Bellagio if those are thin.

Is Rio worth checking out, or will the strip action be just as good? First time headed out for the series, I'm excited to put some of my CORE lessons to the test.

-Matt

Comments

• Fernando OFernando O Red Chipper Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hey Matt,

One of the main hurdles to finding a seat in 2/5 game on the strip will be the ridiculously long waiting lists - Bellagio and Aria are notorious for that . However, if you have Diamond status at Caesar's properties you can go right to the top of the list, but behind any other Diamond who beat you to the punch.

The Wynn handled last year's demand during the series by not taking call-ins and remaining over staffed, ready to accommodate those looking for a game; I can't say enough about how well they handled the demand for games. A++

There other choices revolve around checking out a few rooms where the games in between 1/2 and 5/10 rarely run but might see a huge pick up in demand during the month of June.

Adonde? I write this with ambivalence and trepidation because I'm not a fan of sending others to the scum-filled rooms at Harrah's or The Flamingo, but there might be incentive to venture that way because Harrah's lists a 2/3 game with a $200 - $1000 structure and a 2/5 with a $200 - $2000 buy in, while The Flamingo lists a 2/3 game with a $200 - $600 structure.

Those games rarely run at H. or F. because the rooms are populated by broke locals who get subsidized ( the Diamond Lounges provide meals and booze for the plebs) by CZR the great, and the tourists in those rooms like to play 1/2. However, I am hopeful that Vegas' guests, during the series, get to play in some great deep-stacked cash games, even though the games will run at less than desirable venues.

Good luck.

F
    edited May 2018
    "Generally I like heading to the Harrah's/Ballys calibur rooms to punish drunk tourists, and Bellagio if those are thin."

There is a low ceiling on earnings with that toxic mindset. For verification of my assertion take a look at the regs who play at Harrah's, The Flamingo, etc.

F
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travelling to vegas to play at the excalibur is liking staying in manhattan to visit long island.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Travelling to vegas to play at the excalibur is liking staying in manhattan to visit long island.

Yeah, don't do that. Ever.
    Shattered. Shey-Do-Bey
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Since it's your first time, you definitely have go get to the Rio to check it out. They run a pretty good daily deepstack, and I was amazed and the number of games going not to mention the number of tourney tables running. I can't speak for the live games as I only played in the deepstacks. A podcast (My First WSOP) from 2016 by @ZacShaw accurately captured my amazement when I visited for the first time.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    My recent article on the Vegas Summer has a section on where to play cash:

https://redchippoker.com/poker-player-guide-las-vegas-wsop/

Note that many of the "broke locals" in the CET center-strip rooms quit playing during the series for various reasons. Also be aware most of those rooms are now featuring a $5+2 drop.
    Moderation In Moderation
    None other than Limon ( has an interesting opinion on Vegas regs vs La regs, and Abe tends to know things about poker.

F
    Interesting comparison. Of course, LA rooms directly pay prop players whereas the convention in Vegas is to pay game-starting locals indirectly through promos. I have to say the LA method tends to produce better behavior and games.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should at least check out the Rio cash games set up for the WSOP. I have no idea where the Rio poker room is, but the cash game room during the WSOP is gigantic. They are short on dealers so there will be some bad ones, but you should go and decide for yourself if you like it.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »

Although I think he meant "caliber", not "Excalibur".
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    I think you should at least check out the Rio cash games set up for the WSOP. I have no idea where the Rio poker room is, but the cash game room during the WSOP is gigantic. They are short on dealers so there will be some bad ones, but you should go and decide for yourself if you like it.

Opposite the buffet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys.

Had a great trip, shipped a tourney and got a TON of cash hours in and it was extremely profitable.

Wound up at Wynn and Bellagio for most of my play. Went to Rio and didn't really enjoy the business. Each night I finished off playing at PH where I was staying and the games were great. Lot of unstudied players and drunk tourists that would wander in and sit down. Great time.

AZMatt wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys.

Had a great trip, shipped a tourney and got a TON of cash hours in and it was extremely profitable.

Wound up at Wynn and Bellagio for most of my play. Went to Rio and didn't really enjoy the business. Each night I finished off playing at PH where I was staying and the games were great. Lot of unstudied players and drunk tourists that would wander in and sit down. Great time.

That's great to hear, Matt, thanks for reporting back and thanks to the community here for sharing their insights. This really is one of our strengths.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • keith ckeith c Red Chipper Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Caesers. I was crazy good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file