Trips vs. draws multiway

moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
Typical 1/3 table with typical differences in stack sizes, player profiles, etc. Nothing unusual.

Main V (BB) is an older lady -- typical tight player who occasionally will use that image to try to steal a pot. Tends to look at opponents' checks as weak, at small bets as something small, and big bets as strong; basically looks at betting in a straight-up way.

My question is primarily about the river call, though thoughts anywhere along the line are welcome.

PRE-FLOP
Hero (UTG, covers all villians): Raise to 15 with :Qd :Td
MP2 ($900): Calls
LJ ($67): Calls
HJ ($800): Calls
BUT ($101): Calls
BB ($191): Calls

FLOP ($90): :Jc :Tc :9C:
Checks around

TURN ($90): :TH:
Checks to LJ: Bets $20 ($32 behind)
HJ: Calls ($765 behind)
BUT: Calls ($66 behind)
BB: Raise to $75 ($101 behind)
HERO (UTG): Calls*
MP2: Folds
LJ: Calls all-in $32
HJ: Folds
BUT: Calls all-in $66

*I'll give my thoughts later if there is consideration that this is a mistake.

RIVER: :4D:
Main pot: $318
Side pot 1: $102
Side pot 2: $18

BB: Bets/shoves $101
HERO: ??
(All other remaining players are already all-in.)

Comments

• Ben GunnBen Gunn Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    It seems to me like the BB could never have a single bluff. What's the upside of bluffing a guy (LJ) who just bet 40% of his stack? So what value if his are we beating?

Maybe he's pulling this move with AJ with the Ac. Maybe T8 exactly. Otherwise, he has so many clubs, JT and T9 made boats, KQ, Q8 are all in his range. I'm not sure we're even good the 18% of the time we would need to break even.

It's a weird spot, but I think I find a fold.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious why you check called the turn instead of leading.

On the turn as played I agree with @ben gunn this is probably a fold having one of the worse Tx hands given the texture.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, @ben Gunn and @Austin. Results coming later.
    Austin wrote: »
    Curious why you check called the turn instead of leading.

With the exception of HJ, everyone's stack was small. I didn't think that I'd get a ton fold with a standard cbet. I also figured that, if my hand improved, then I could get action later. I was also concerned about drawing dead already.

As for the turn, maybe I should have given more consideration to potentially drawing dead. I did figure that a player with a huge piece of the pot would likely try to get action going earlier. But, I guess I forgot my own thinking about being short-stacked! I called the turn figuring that I was ahead of a good number of hands and likely had outs if I were behind. With the exception of BB (since HJ folded), not much of my stack could be threatened.

Errant thinking before I even arrived at the river?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You're facing flushes, straights, boats, super combo draws, strong combo draws, FD, straight draws incl. better straight draws that your... and you don't even have the best trips. Plus there are short stacks in the hand, who can easily create an all-in chain reaction.

I can only check/fold this.

Calling HJ's bet is already not great (but somehow if everybody calls, you may have too good of a price to fold...). But once BB raises, why do you even think about calling ?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious if hero should bet or check the turn?
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Just closing the loop (no further comments necessary, but feel free). Thanks for your thoughts!
    Hero [foolishly] called (I knew not to, also). V turned over K4c for the flush. Then asks dealer, "I won it all??"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file