likes and dislikes of preflop chart

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was reading over one of my old six max books and put together a preflop chart. I tightened up the EP range since six max technically starts in MP. There has been a lot of discussions about SCs recently and wanted some input on the below chart if its too loose or too tight etc. This is just a RFI chart, not an isolate or 3 bet. Purely RFI chart when everyone folds to you.

I think probably bring up the SCs just 1 notch higher from EP and MP. I also think on low stakes you can just limp all 22-66 and still get paid off long run or open small (3x). Over limping some small SCs, small PP, A2s-A9s, etc. Iso with the stronger range.

EP (positions 1-2)
66+, AQ+, A10s+, T9s+, KJs+
MP (positions 3-4)
44+, AJ+, KQ+, 87s+, Q10s+
HJ
22+, AJ+, A9s+, KQ+, 65s+, J9s+,
CO
22+, A9+, A2s+, ATB+, 65s+, 97s+, J8s+
BTN
22+, A8+, A2s+, T9+, 65s+, 86s+, 96s+ Q2s+

Comments

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    you kind of posted a chart for 7 max?

I would say you are in the ballpark and only thing that really jumps out is you can open wider on the BTN. you should NOT be open limping, and you can just fold the middle SCs in EP/MP/HJ.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kenaces wrote: »

I would say you are in the ballpark and only thing that really jumps out is you can open wider on the BTN. you should NOT be open limping, and you can just fold the middle SCs in EP/MP/HJ.

Your sticking to about 13-15% first 5 positions? Sticking to like T9s+?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,640 -
    edited June 2018
    There was (I thought) some interesting difference of opinion on this topic in the comments section after my article:

https://redchippoker.com/opening-ranges-seduction/
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    There was (I thought) some interesting difference of opinion on this topic in the comments section after my article:

I will quote you - "You don’t make more money in NLHE simply by playing a wide opening range".
    I agree 100% in the context of most live poker games(very multiway/high rake)

In the context of this thread(online RFI) if you aren't opening wide on the CO and super wide on the BTN you are doing it wrong
    Austin wrote: »

Your sticking to about 13-15% first 5 positions? Sticking to like T9s+?

https://www.pokersnowie.com/preflop-advisor.html

It is free :)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,640 -
    TheGameKat wrote: »

I will quote you - "You don’t make more money in NLHE simply by playing a wide opening range".
    I agree 100% in the context of most live poker games(very multiway/high rake)

In the context of this thread(online RFI) if you aren't opening wide on the CO and super wide on the BTN you are doing it wrong

Even live I think opening wide from the CO/BTN is a good plan.

Maybe this would be a good place to have the discussion @tfazio has been advocating for some time on the differences in recommendations for EP ranges coming from different ... er... "schools."
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm by default slightly tighter in early position...pretty much just the QJs-t9s I leave out....but put in if the table can be run over....

Middle postion, I go to all pairs....not sure why 22 and 33 should be much different 44,...I generally play ATo and KJo from middle position if I'm first or second in...and toss them if co or btn in agro.... Iby default at add in all suited Aces...here, though tighten up if co or btn is agro....

co pretty much the same just happen to keep A8o+ just because Ed Miller had it in an article in 2007 (I read it in 2010) and just kept it..

Btn play a fair amount more hands...k7o+ Q9o+ 87o+ , but this is by far my most flexible range deppending on who limped and who in the blinds...

My range primarily comes from EDs article at his old sight, unfortunately he took it down about 6 month ago...(I do have the artigles saved, so if anyone interested, will im them) and a few tweeks from reading some other books and watching videos.

I also still believe that Iso raising is against one bad player not against the field to get heads up. thus I play a much wider range especially from later seats against one particular player...

Talking about rereading and old 6 max book, been rereading Small Stakes Poker, Miller et al....been really enjoying it, and thinking of how it adjust to low stake live games I play in.

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    @Austin was reareading for the umteenth time NO LImit Hold'em theory and practice, and re-read the chapter on hand recommendations. It has some interesting thoughts (after two pages of disclaimers and warnings) .

I love the randomization of some hands...categorizing sometimes play rarely play, always play by seat. an interesting approach you might enjoy revisiting.
    edited June 2018
    Chart is a guideline based on 100bb stacks. Tightened up based on the first one posted from EP just a tad.

Full Ring RFI Range
    EP (1-2)
    22+, AQ+, A10s+, J10s+,
    MP (3-4)
    22+, AJ+, A10s+, KQ+, T9s+, KJs+
    HJ (5)
    22+, AJ+, A9s+, KQ+, 98s+, J9s+, ATBs+
    CO (6)
    22+, A9+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, 97s+, 65s+, J8s+, ATB+,
    BTN (7)
    22+, A8+, A2s+, K9o+, Q9o+, K2s+, Q2s+, J7s+, 96s+, 86s+, 65s+, J8s+, ATB+,
    Blinds
    Iso AQ+ 99+ \ chop due to high drop

Iso Range
    77+, AJ+, A9s+, KQ+, 98s+, J9s+, ATBs+

Calling range
    22+, T9s+, AQ+, A10s+, ATBs+

3bet range
    Vs EP QQ+ AK
    Vs MP JJ+ AQs+
    Vs LP TT+ AQo+

Sizing
    Due to larger open sizing and relatively short stacks, I think 3 betting for value should be on the smaller size to keep players in. I've been doing a lot of 4x sizing and getting a lot of folds or when im called its usually just a cooler being QQ+ AK for both players. In an attempt to keep some of the off suite trash broadways in I have dominated and leave room for some postflop play im leaning on the following sizing.

Rfi = 5bb
    3 bet = 2.5x or 12-15bb + 1x per caller. If they open say $12 and 1 caller I would do $42 (3.5x \ 14bb).
    Eazzy wrote: »
    @Austin was reareading for the umteenth time NO LImit Hold'em theory and practice, and re-read the chapter on hand recommendations. It has some interesting thoughts (after two pages of disclaimers and warnings) .

One of the things I really like about Janda is he is humble enough to admit that the ranges given in his first book are NOT the ranges he would play with today. If you are curious there is a huge thread on 2+2 where Matt answers questions about this book.

Chart is a guideline based on 100bb stacks. Tightened up based on the first one posted from EP just a tad.

Calling range

3bet range
    Vs EP QQ+ AK
    Vs MP JJ+ AQs+
    Vs LP TT+ AQo+

cold call WAY less and 3B WAY more!

Calling range

3bet range
    Vs EP QQ+ AK
    Vs MP JJ+ AQs+
    Vs LP TT+ AQo+

In low stakes their raising range is usually a bit tight since they limp so much. If they are raising mostly 99+ AQ+ and limping everything else around 40%+ vpip your still 3 betting wide?

I'm assuming a lot of my calling range you would just 3 bet besides the baby pairs.

Calling range

3bet range
    Vs EP QQ+ AK
    Vs MP JJ+ AQs+
    Vs LP TT+ AQo+

In low stakes their raising range is usually a bit tight since they limp so much. If they are raising mostly 99+ AQ+ and limping everything else around 40%+ vpip your still 3 betting wide?

I'm assuming a lot of my calling range you would just 3 bet besides the baby pairs.

ok maybe true they raise so nitty in EP/MP we have to be careful BUT that is based on read, and should not be how you build good default ranges.

both 3B and CC range are also going to depend on where they open from

See pokersnowie link for pretty good default range(maybe a bit too nitty multiway but otherwise very good)

Calling range

3bet range
    Vs EP QQ+ AK
    Vs MP JJ+ AQs+
    Vs LP TT+ AQo+

ok maybe true they raise so nitty in EP/MP we have to be careful BUT that is based on read, and should not be how you build good default ranges.

both 3B and CC range are also going to depend on where they open from

See pokersnowie link for pretty good default range(maybe a bit too nitty multiway but otherwise very good)

I think from later postions depending on raise size can include down to 87s and if its lots of players 76s. Also Axs if stacks are deep enough amd they open like $12 or less.

Whats your take on small SCs MW? A lot of people say you need heads up to be profitable, so now they become 3 bets or folds. Where medium and high SCs become calls.

Some people will 3bet 76s , AKs, and call 87s-KQs.

I had a chart in the past where it said something like call 76s if 3 or more people.
    @kenaces

100bb games are typically polarized 3 bets. The structure of low stake games have large opens 4-7bb and usually 33-100bb stacks. Would this make the game more suitable for small 3bets say 2.5x with a merged range?

Example
    Utg folds
    Utg1 folds
    Mp1 ($200) Splashy player raises to $12
    LJ ($250) calls $12
    Hero($300) :AD: :JD: 3 bet to $42 (3.5x)

Example 2
    Utg folds
    Utg1 limps 3
    Mp1 limps 3
    Lj limps 3
    HJ ($300) raises to $15
    Co folds
    BtN Hero ($300) :KH: :JH: 3bet to $45 (2.5x+limpers).

Taking a lot of the calling range above and making them 3 bets with a merged range. Not 100% merged cause KJs can still be behind his iso raising range, but figure with initiative, position, and playability it should be profitable.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm thinking about 3bets a bit more because open sizes are large and stacks are shallow. I don't think one has to polarize their range. Im considering mixing up my sizing. Where AK, AQs, KQs etc I might 3.5x the 3bet making it more polarizing and increasing fold equity. Where as QQ+ I might 2.5-3x the sizing to get dominated hands like KQs and AJs in the hand that don't really have odds. Polarizing some of my suited broadways (polarizing sizing but merged hand range) will have good fold equity, will force out some worse hands obviously, and probably only called by better hands, but hopefully position makes up for it despite small SpR when called.

It's a lot of new players every day so its hard to say if anyone will pick on on 2.5x 3.5x sizing and the hands im doing it with. I want to work out some hand examples and SPR to see the full strategy. Im assuming 2.5x gets called quite a bit and ill have to work out how I want to play QJs and KQs on Q83, JT7, A85, AK3, T96 etc.

Effective stacks will be about 260 and spr 2.25 being flop is about $80.

Not sure if im just taking on more variance and I should just flat preflop and go 5 ways or play HU. Im leaning towards hU even though im risking at least 40-45 Pre flop instead of 15.
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭
    Flatting too often in low stakes games is a big mistake, and by too often i mean basically ever unless youre on the button or big blind. Personally im a fan of flatting button relatively often as people play oop so poorly, but stacks must allow for this, and if its a loose formation im usually 3betting anyway.

Flatting and Sharing equity in mw pot after mw pot magnifies variance to a mind numbing degree, probably far more than an aggressive 3bet strategy.

The field calls 3 bets far too often, and then they fold far too often on the flop to a cb. Also, the field doesnt 4bet rearly often enough, making the aggro 3bet strategy even better.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I built most of my ranges from the Berkey series on Instapoker. This includes a limp calling range, especially from EP. Hands that want to see a flop but are bad ISO calls...A10s for example
    Small PP I tend to be pretty GTO. 22+ BU, 33+CO, 44+ HJ, ... etc.
    This is when I am playing the Berkey Long Ball style. Here my open raise at 1-2 is 15 +1bb for each limpers after one. At 1-3 I open 20 At 2-5 I open 30 or 35.

I will also switch up and play small ball at times. Then my opening ranges have no limps and are close to yours. But my open raise is 3-3.5bb.

I found that a 5bb open creates a lot of awkward spots post flop and doesn't work for either strategy.

My 3bet range is a lot wider versus Late MP and LP. Earlier positions if they are loose and open SCs. It is 77+, A10+, QJ+, and sometimes SCs that don't have a 5 or 10.

As for 3bet sizing it will vary slightly based on position and hand strength, but it is most always 3.5x + .5x for any other callers

All of this is also situational based on who the V is.
    Thanks @Wiki_Leaks and @Travis

Do you think its too exploitable going larger with suited broadways when I want more FE and smaller with big pairs?

Example 1
    3 folds
    Mp ($300) opens $15
    Hero ($300) KK co raises to $40

Example 2
    3 folds
    Mp ($300) opens $15
    Hero ($300) KJs co raises to $50

I noticed at 15 to 55 i got a lot of folds going just under 4x. 3x probably still gets calls. Vs shorter stacks im thinking 2.5x-3x for value, and 3.5x when I want more folds. Vs bigger stacks, 3.5x to 4x if there are no callers and 3.5x for value. If villain has say $400 maybe go 15 to like $53 with premiums and closer to $60 with some broadways.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    @Austin I wouldn't worry about being exploited at low stakes. They don't pay enough attention. So modifying your bets is exploiting them It is in some ways similar to betting smaller when folded to you on the button and you want the blinds to call.
    They tend to think in absolute bet sizes not in what the bet means.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my range as soon as I sit down and am being a bit conservative @100BB:
    Open:
    EP- 99+ KQo+
    MP- 77+ J10s+, AJo+, KJs+
    CO or BU- 22+, 87o+ 9Jo+, sizing will largely depend on my goal. $20 with 1-2 limpers and trash.
    Better hands will lay a better price for them to call.

Calling range:
    PP, KQ+, AJs
    Calling range when I get to know the table: any PP, SC in position with right stack size, AQ, KQ, AK vs tighter players, will occasionally flat 99-QQ. Have even flatted KK/AA IP, although I actually don't really like doing this anymore, it's too cheesy. Just 3 bet it.

3-bet range
    JJ+ to start
    Expanded range IP
    99+ KQo+

Player dependent/making a move....EP opens to $10 when normally they open to $15~+...Any 1 cards from BU-BB, prefer an Ax to block, or cards with equity. I generally do this once a session, say someone opens to $10 and 3 callers... $40 in the pot, I make it $55 and barrel, works out a lot. I really choose my 3-bets semi-bluffs only once I've been at the table a while.

@Austin like Travis said, they aren't calling you down enough to get to showdown when you steal on the BU with trash at a $25 open vs when 2 limpers and you open for $20 on BU with AK, because often they don't call down often enough with the AK to see the hands. The majority of my winnings come from Non-showdown winnings, and recently when I've been losing I feel like I can't even make any money with good hands, all of my money comes from me bluffing and barreling. Perhaps I'll do a month where I NEVER bluff, not once, and just play good cards. Alternatively I could just sit on a plunger which sounds just as enjoyable.
    @jfarrow13 I notice you don't really list any suited broadways in your calling range. Are you just playing high card potential trying to hit top pair?
    I'm so like player and stack dependent. I really don't like calling OOP with K10s, QJs, Q10s (blinds). I will call IP with all my suited Broadways depending on stack size and player type, but generally hands like Q10s aren't even that sweet, even IP.
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    I'm so like player and stack dependent. I really don't like calling OOP with K10s, QJs, Q10s (blinds). I will call IP with all my suited Broadways depending on stack size and player type, but generally hands like Q10s aren't even that sweet, even IP.

You don't iso 3bet? A lot of squeeze opportunities with these hands at 1\3.
    Again, I don't get too frisky till I get a feel for the table, or like right after I sit down and I just see a $10 open and I see A9o on the BU after 2 callers and I'm like MMMM I SEE $34 in the middle $50 I flash an ace and be like like "come on man, you know there's another one where that came from. Whatever, I'd rather take $32 than yall suck out on me" all the NIT's high 5, I join em, and then after about 2 hours the jig is UP. My problem is that I lump hands that I deem to week to call yet I hate to fold into my 3-bet range. So there's a lot of 97s and A8s in my 3-bet range. And realistically if you pay attention to my 3 barrel you can just garbage me.

Here a HH for funz
    Splash ass master open for $15 MP me and him are the only ones at the table opening anymore people limp AK now, fold to me :TC: :7C: BU 3-bet to $50 sb folds BB calls he of course calls. He has $600 effective, I got like $800 which I will kindly give away later.

Pot $150

Flop :JC: :8C: :3S: checks to me
    I bet $75. Realistically, this isn't my "3-bet board", yet I connected hard, but so should other people. I dont need to size up, yet I need to bet for my obvious FE which never existed @persuadeo thanks bud itz reel somewhere in the ether. BB folds his obvious overcards, V calls

Pot $300

Turn :8H:
    He checks, I ask for a count. He laughs and shows about $400. I'm not a bashful man, I put him all-in. He goes deep in the tank.

He turns over :KH: :QH: . He goes for a 5 minute speech about "why do I feel I'm good". Cause you are. Problem is, if I ever shove with :AC: you screwed. He hates it and folds. Of course I show the bluff to stick it to him. This line is full of errors. Exploit me please. If I ever had a overpair or TP, am I shoving? NO, probably not, I'm not so "scared" of getting drawn out that I need to end the hand now, but when I behind and I'm smashing FE with the ole "more monies more FE" which seems to work so well for me at the lower levels, we arrive here at an obvious bluff.

Yikes.
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    Again, I don't get too frisky till I get a feel for the table, or like right after I sit down and I just see a $10 open and I see A9o on the BU after 2 callers and I'm like MMMM I SEE $34 in the middle $50 I flash an ace and be like like "come on man, you know there's another one where that came from. Whatever, I'd rather take $32 than yall suck out on me" all the NIT's high 5, I join em, and then after about 2 hours the jig is UP. My problem is that I lump hands that I deem to week to call yet I hate to fold into my 3-bet range. So there's a lot of 97s and A8s in my 3-bet range. And realistically if you pay attention to my 3 barrel you can just garbage me.

Here a HH for funz
    Splash ass master open for $15 MP me and him are the only ones at the table opening anymore people limp AK now, fold to me :TC: :7C: BU 3-bet to $50 sb folds BB calls he of course calls. He has $600 effective, I got like $800 which I will kindly give away later.

Pot $150

Flop :JC: :8C: :3S: checks to me
    I bet $75. Realistically, this isn't my "3-bet board", yet I connected hard, but so should other people. I dont need to size up, yet I need to bet for my obvious FE which never existed @persuadeo thanks bud itz reel somewhere in the ether. BB folds his obvious overcards, V calls

Pot $300

Turn :8H:
    He checks, I ask for a count. He laughs and shows about $400. I'm not a bashful man, I put him all-in. He goes deep in the tank.

He turns over :KH: :QH: . He goes for a 5 minute speech about "why do I feel I'm good". Cause you are. Problem is, if I ever shove with :AC: you screwed. He hates it and folds. Of course I show the bluff to stick it to him. This line is full of errors. Exploit me please. If I ever had a overpair or TP, am I shoving? NO, probably not, I'm not so "scared" of getting drawn out that I need to end the hand now, but when I behind and I'm smashing FE with the ole "more monies more FE" which seems to work so well for me at the lower levels, we arrive here at an obvious bluff.

Yikes.

If villain is tanking with KhQh on that board and calls your flop bet, you should 100% be jamming TPTK and over pairs for value vs him. Seems like a huge whale here.

Definitely way too loose of a 3bet. 3 bet range must be really high. I don't mind the 97s hand, I do the same thing once in a while, but once you start throwing in 2 gappers your 3 bet range starts to look like a HU 3 bet range.
    Working with Poker Snowie, based on a 9 handed game, and 100bb stacks here is the range Snowie plays with different bet sizing. Bet sizing ranges from 1/4th, 1/2 pot, pot, and 2x pot.

RFI chart 9 handed.
    UTG: 77+, AJ+, A9s+, A5s-A2s+, KQ+, ATBs+,
    UTG1: 66+, AJ+, A7s+, A5s-A2s+, KJ+, ATBs+,
    MP1: 66+, A10+, A2s+, KJ+,K9s+, ATBs+,
    LJ: 55+, A10+, A2s+, KJ+,K9s+, Q9s+,J10s+
    HJ: 44+, A10+, A2s+, K10+,K6s+, Q9s+,T9s+, T8s+, 65s-76s,
    CO: 33+, A7+, A2s+, K9+,K4s+, ATB+, Q7s+, 75s+, 54s+
    BTN: 22+, A3+, A2s+, K8+,K2s+, Q9+,Q4s+, J8+, J6s+, T8+, T6s+, 85s+, 53s+,
    SB: 22+, A2+, K2+, Q2, J7+, J2s+, T7+, T4s+, 96+, 95s+, 86+, 63s+, 32s+,

Working with Poker Snowie, based on a 9 handed game, and 100bb stacks here is the range Snowie plays with different bet sizing. Bet sizing ranges from 1/4th, 1/2 pot, pot, and 2x pot.

RFI chart 9 handed.
    UTG: 77+, AJ+, A9s+, A5s-A2s+, KQ+, ATBs+,
    UTG1: 66+, AJ+, A7s+, A5s-A2s+, KJ+, ATBs+,
    MP1: 66+, A10+, A2s+, KJ+,K9s+, ATBs+,
    LJ: 55+, A10+, A2s+, KJ+,K9s+, Q9s+,J10s+
    HJ: 44+, A10+, A2s+, K10+,K6s+, Q9s+,T9s+, T8s+, 65s-76s,
    CO: 33+, A7+, A2s+, K9+,K4s+, ATB+, Q7s+, 75s+, 54s+
    BTN: 22+, A3+, A2s+, K8+,K2s+, Q9+,Q4s+, J8+, J6s+, T8+, T6s+, 85s+, 53s+,
    SB: 22+, A2+, K2+, Q2, J7+, J2s+, T7+, T4s+, 96+, 95s+, 86+, 63s+, 32s+,

Despite running a 9 handed scenario and writing down all the ranges, whenever I play the challenge and follow the hand chart it will still say I made an error and show -EV for some of these hands.

One hand for example in the SB I opened J4s and it gave me an error saying "you need at least T4s to open." This one I do not understand.

vs a EP min raise and hero in the HJ i'm suppose to call 64s and 53s, but hands like 87s is a fold and need at least T9s to open. Not sure why this is.
    Snowies ranges are tighter the smaller the stakes due to higher % rake - maybe that could be it?

Also are you sure you are reading the grind right? I dont' recall seeing snowie CC 64s/53s hand in MP(but most of my work has been in 6m so I could be wrong)?
    Snowies ranges are tighter the smaller the stakes due to higher % rake - maybe that could be it?

Also are you sure you are reading the grind right? I dont' recall seeing snowie CC 64s/53s hand in MP(but most of my work has been in 6m so I could be wrong)?

Typically it's just a fold. Was playing $2\$4 with $400 effective, nine handed. This was part of the challene section, but even on the scenarios 64s is not even an open. I do not understand how it is not an open, but a call with players left to act.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file