Poker Book Recommendations

Daniel HorsleyDaniel Horsley Red Chipper Posts: 47 ✭✭
Hi all,

I am going away soon for two weeks on a summer holiday and wanted to buy some poker books to read on my time away. I wondered if anybody had any recommendations?

I am currently playing at NL10 and am eager to shoot up to higher stakes. I’ve not read many books yet and have been highly recommended to buy Sklansky’s theory of poker. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,027 -
    "Theory of Poker" is definitely a classic, although obviously some of the material is dated. At the risk of sounding like an RCP homer, Ed Miller's "The Course" is to me one of the best books ever written on live NLHE. Not sure if it translates to online NL10.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Fernando TFernando T Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Janda - Aplications
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    One book I recomend its a fun read is The Poker Puzzle by Oliver Marx. First it kind of treated as public domain and you can get the PDF free here

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwb3F1ZXJzYnJ8Z3g6MjM5NWZiMTEzMzEyZTI3Yw

It originally sold for $300 or so came with a couple of hours of coaching and a bunch of videos. The videos are available on you tube (well the teaching ones) I think there are eight of them and there not bad. It also had a number of example videos that have unfortunately been lost...

Oliver has a good sense of humor, and its a very enjoyable book to read. If you want to take it deeper the assignments come from his coaching and many are excellent.

Its probably a little advanced for your needs but a really fun read and outlines and helps you develop some pretty good ways to think about poker.

I would also recommend most of the Ed Miller books.

If you have not readMiller et al, Professional No-Limit Hold'em: vol 1, its a must. Its covers the basics that every player coach book since tends to reference. things like how to plan around commitment, SPR and range analysis (REM).

His follow up book Small Stakes poker (with the same two other authors Mehta and Flyn) is also excellent. Its geared to 1-2 six max but very well explained. I'm currently re-reading it and find much of it is easily applied to 1-2 and 2-5 live. It has lots of examples that you can stop and test yourself (though not layed out that way) so its a fun read.

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭
    Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I think all low limit players should read A Complete Course in No Limit Hold 'em by Angel Largay. Easy fun read that gets you thinking
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read poker books the way other readers read their books: start with one, it leads to interest in a topic, now you find a book on that topic, soon you start seeing the body of poker thought.

Poker books aren't some special category of thought where common sense doesn't apply, as much as the relevantophiles try to pretend.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travis wrote: »
    I think all low limit players should read A Complete Course in No Limit Hold 'em by Angel Largay. Easy fun read that gets you thinking

Ha, don't hear that one referenced very often. Some interesting ideas in there. Note: it is not at all a "complete course". More like some random-ish ideas the author has. I think some RCPers might like some of it at least in concept, as he likes to create an atmosphere of giving/creating action.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file