Utg1 limps 3
Mp1 limps 3
Lj raises to 15
HJ folds
Co folds
Btn folds
Hero (300) :As :Jh sb raises to $55

Question #1
Thoughts? I just sat down, only 2nd at the the table, no read on villain. Mawg (middle age white guy). 3 bet or call?

Villain calls hu to the flop.

Flop ($120) :5s :Tc :9c
Hero bets 60
v calls
Turn bricks goes check fold vs V shove.

I think based on my other AJ hand on JT8 this should just be a fold. It is a 3bet pot so maybe its a cbet? I'm leaning towards just check folding this flop.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭✭
    If you call, it's going to be limp/call fest. You're going to have a marginally good off suit ace totally OOP in a bloated pot (aka without room for maneuver).

If you raise, you iso HJ, but going to be OOP against a maybe uncapped range (not all small stakes 4bet, some have a 0% 4bet range). What to do when you don't hit?

I think the easiest is just to fold, waiting to have more info about Villain and (if possible) not playing OOP.
    If you have hints Villain may preflop bet/fold often - like if it was common in the room - then I could see a bluff 3bet. But if called, I don't think you can get him to fold postflop. So 3bet and then check/fold except if improved.
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    Your SB range should be very tight, it should be equivalent to or tighter than your UTG range. It's okay to employ a 3-bet or fold strategy from the small blind, AJo is a very marginal hand where I would just fold especially when I have no info on the table.

You can open up your SB 3 betting range quite a bit when facing CO or Button steals, just make sure you correctly identify a steal attempt. If there are 3 limpers and button raises, it's not a steal and you shouldn't be 3 betting light. Some players never steal at the 1-3 level, so when they open on the button treat it like a value raise.

As played the post flop line is standard.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    If there are 3 limpers and button raises, it's not a steal and you shouldn't be 3 betting light.
    -Many, I never knew I had so many good hands from the button. Cause I raise about 35% of hands when limped to me on the BU.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree with preflop just being a fold, I think postflop is probably a check \ fold on this texture. Trying to get him only to fold AJ-AK really. A lot of other hands hit or will peel one off and my hand has little equity. Definitely over cbetting.
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    If there are 3 limpers and button raises, it's not a steal and you shouldn't be 3 betting light.
    -Many, I never knew I had so many good hands from the button. Cause I raise about 35% of hands when limped to me on the BU.

If you are on a table full of OMCs who limp fold a lot, then yeah opening 35% is profitable. But on most tables people are not limp folding, especially with multiple limpers. If your Button raise gets called by multiple people most of the times, opening 35% is suicidal.
    Yanming Z wrote: »
    jfarrow13 wrote: »

If you are on a table full of OMCs who limp fold a lot, then yeah opening 35% is profitable. But on most tables people are not limp folding, especially with multiple limpers. If your Button raise gets called by multiple people most of the times, opening 35% is suicidal.

im thinking 15-20% range is probably fine.
  • BadgerBadger Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Ugh again tough spot. I would normally fold in this spot since I play the SB fairly tightly. Once you three bet you should probably C-bet a lot in this spot but that flop strongly favors a callers range.

I think your approaching this situation like a tournament or table full of good players GTO type of spot. I hate to say it but I think that might be wasted at the lowest stakes. If your tuning up for a tournament or to move up then keep on keeping on down the path your headed, but realize your in for some big variance swings.

I think if you are going to be 3Betting from the SB a lot then the AJos is a decent hand to use for board coverage if your going to use a polarized strategy. This really depends on how often that raiser is getting after it in this spot. Most the time this player in my experience has a fairly strong range. I am going to speculate he isn't that good post flop and for passive players the only way to get more chips into the pot is preflop.

I like a polarized strategy from the SB against good competent players that are capable of folding preflop, something like:
    65il5mdw8jyk.png
    982ho5tgjvcm.png

Badger wrote: »
    Ugh again tough spot. I would normally fold in this spot since I play the SB fairly tightly. Once you three bet you should probably C-bet a lot in this spot but that flop strongly favors a callers range.

I think your approaching this situation like a tournament or table full of good players GTO type of spot. I hate to say it but I think that might be wasted at the lowest stakes. If your tuning up for a tournament or to move up then keep on keeping on down the path your headed, but realize your in for some big variance swings.

I think if you are going to be 3Betting from the SB a lot then the AJos is a decent hand to use for board coverage if your going to use a polarized strategy. This really depends on how often that raiser is getting after it in this spot. Most the time this player in my experience has a fairly strong range. I am going to speculate he isn't that good post flop and for passive players the only way to get more chips into the pot is preflop.

I like a polarized strategy from the SB against good competent players that are capable of folding preflop, something like:
    65il5mdw8jyk.png
    982ho5tgjvcm.png

Really good chart and very similar to some of Johnathan little charts. I also agree playing something like this may just be a waste in low stakes. ATo and AJo are probably just folds. Then just wait for a higher +EV spot.
  • BadgerBadger Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Got me that's where its from but I cut off his insignia and details since Red Chip might not like chart from rival poker training site.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 665 -
    Got me that's where its from but I cut off his insignia and details since Red Chip might not like chart from rival poker training site.

We'd only get bent out of shape if the information was bad ;)
    Moderation In Moderation

I have one of his books, chart looks a tad different in terms of coloring, but seems like he is transferring charts from one site or book to another and just selling more copies with the same information. Not to say the information doesn't apply any more. It's still really good. I find his ranges are pretty good, but his sizing for cash probably isn't great for low stakes. As he will open 3x and welcome multiway pots. Probably really great for tourneys though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file