Calling the shortstack shove?

MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited June 6 in Live Poker Hands
Playing $1/$3 NLHE. The was a relatively new table at around 11 am, and the play was pretty tight, passive overall (one reason I didn't open for more). The villain in this hand had recently lost a few big hands and was clearly frustrated. I have him covered.

I have KQo in early position. I raise to 10. I get two callers. Angry short stack guy shoves for about $75 total. My general thinking was that given his apparent tilt and short stack situation, he might be doing this with any ace, any pair, or any broadway cards — and my rough guestimate is that I'm a coin-flip against that range. Is that a reasonable way to consider this hand? Any reason this isn't an insta-call?

Comments

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6
    Considering you at an equity disadvantage to any PP and any Axtrash....mehhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6
    If your range is correct -- that V would also do this with any two broadway cards -- then, yes, this is a pretty clear call given the dead money in the pot (though you might want to shove in order to insure that the two players behind fold).

But, big IF.

Given the variability of the "if" and the unknown of the players behind you, I'd likely pass on this spot.

If anything, it is certainly not as clear of an insta-call as you are suggesting. More factors to consider than you're crediting.
  • RoblivionRoblivion Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Let this one go. This looks like it would be a marginal call IF the other two callers folded out of turn before you acted. Since they still have cards, you should just fold and move on to the next hand.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited June 6
    So related to this, I faced almost the exact same scenario about 10 hours later. This time I was on the button with KQ, someone raised to $12 early, three players called, then I call. The SB, shortstacked and clearly annoyed at a rough night, raises all in for $77 total. Everyone folds around to me. Total pot is $137 and I need to call $65. Again, I'm assuming a similar range of cards for the shortstacked player. Does all that dead money plus my position make this spot a more clear-cut call?

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    MattP wrote: »
    So related to this, I faced almost the exact same scenario about 10 hours later. This time I was on the button with KQ, someone raised to $12 early, three players called, then I call. The SB, shortstacked and clearly annoyed at a rough night, raises all in for $77 total. Everyone folds around to me. Total pot is $137 and I need to call $65. Again, I'm assuming a similar range of cards for the shortstacked player. Does all that dead money plus my position make this spot a more clear-cut call?

Assuming the range that you posited in the first post, yes -- this is an easy call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file