OP to a nasty buster of a bet

zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
The Wynn Daily 100k during the series. Lots of good poker players. We're ITM and I've just been moved to a new table. English guy, talkative, moaning about how he's been running bad for nine years. I have 25bb, he has me covered. I open EP 2.5 with :JS: :JD: .

My range here is: 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, ATo+, KJo+ - 242 combos, with this stack.

He calls on the BTN and blinds fold. BB was short and had pushed previous hand. I would likely have called his push with a lot of his range - I had him covered by about 2x.

Let's say he calls with this: 99-22, AJs-A2s, KJs-K9s, Q9s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s, 43s, AJo-A8o, KJo, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o - 300 combos

FLOP: :6S: :4S: :7C: A caller's flop, so advantage to him?

I cbet 2/3 pot/4bb and he goes all-in. I tank. I'm getting 40% pot odds.

I put his pushing range something like this: 99-88, 66-44, A4s, AsJs-As7s, As3s-As2s, KsJs-Ks9s, Ts8s, 9s7s+, 8s6s+, AJo-A8o, 76s - about half of his continuing range. Is this too wide?

I clearly call with: 44,66,77 and 76. Against this range, OPs are getting 70%, so it's a clear call, assuming I have his range right and it's this wide. In practical play, most players don't make this move with draws and OPs. But I'm not super experienced in playing with good players (although his moaning before the hand tells me he might not be as good as some of the others in the tournament).

Do you close your eyes and call or do you wait for another spot? We still have chips and life and we're not completely decimated if we tight/fold but if we are right and he is doing this with connected overs and FD/SDs, then this puts us in great shape to get to final table...

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) what stage of the mtt are you in? How close to the final table?

Hero (25bb) :JS: :JD: opens 2.5bb
    Btn calls (covers)
    Flop (6.5bb) :6S: :4S: :7C:
    Hero (22.5bb) bets 4bb
    Omc all in 22.5bb effective
    Hero ?

I guess it's a call but edge is small. Im fine with how you played it, but your ranges are way too wide imo. Even your opening range from EP is crazy.
    My range here is: 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, ATo+, KJo+ - 242 combos, with this stack.

Your opening 19% from UTG? Looks more like my hi-Jack range. I'm not a tourney play but this screams SPEWY to me.

I would cut both ranges in half. 121 combos for you and 150 combos for him.

Helps to know his exact size. If he had say 26bb and you have 25bb we know how much he is actually on his mtt life. If he has 100bb he isn't taking much of a risk.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Hey @Austin thanks, good notes! Thanks for the reminder for formatting.

We were down to three tables - 24 of about 375 players now.
    And yes he covered me by 1.5x, so if he lost it would have been a bad hit.
    Interesting you think my ranges too wide - I've felt like I'm playing way too tight a lot of the time.

120 combos from UTG would be: 77+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, KJs+, QJs, JTs, AQo+ with 25BB?
    200 combos from UTG: 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, AQo+, KQo with 70BB+? Stack sizes have to matter what we open, right?

We gotta have enough hands in our UTG range at this stack size that we can open/push and open/fold, so we can't be TOO tight - we need bluffable hands... I'm not 100% what the ratio of that should be pre, particularly as if we get called we are moving into under 20bb which really just allows one or two more bets before the stack is in - gotta have enough bluffs to make that work. If I were to run an analysis on a hand like this post flop I would probably have 1:1 bluff to value on flop and 1:2 bluff to value on a turn shove? Does this make sense generally?

This is the kind of stuff I'd love to find more thinking on - really sitting down and working out ranges and ratios with different stack sizes at different positions...

V range construction for me becomes a matter of what I'd open and then adjustment as to their position and whether I've seen them more or less active than me... V range construction is still a dark art to me...

https://www.pokersnowie.com

120 combos look right to me.

Why are you worried about bluff and value combos in a tourney where most players suck and its all about value. Small stacks is all about preflop hand selection and your straight up burning money.
    Well just cuz there's an AI poker game doesn't mean that tournament poker is solved - two different things.

As for "most players suck" if I had a dime for the number of times I've heard people say that... That meme doesn't hold water, particularly at this particular tournament in the middle of WSOP and particularly in the late stages where in theory the better players will have knocked the worse players out.

And in any case, just cuz a player sucks doesn't mean we suddenly remove our bluffs. How a player "sucks" determines how many bluffs vs value we will diverge from optimum to in our ranges - the suckiness the player says nothing about how little or much we are going to bluff. How they "suck" is what matters...
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why aren't we open shoving here?
    Well just cuz there's an AI poker game doesn't mean that tournament poker is solved - two different things.

As for "most players suck" if I had a dime for the number of times I've heard people say that... That meme doesn't hold water, particularly at this particular tournament in the middle of WSOP and particularly in the late stages where in theory the better players will have knocked the worse players out.

And in any case, just cuz a player sucks doesn't mean we suddenly remove our bluffs. How a player "sucks" determines how many bluffs vs value we will diverge from optimum to in our ranges - the suckiness the player says nothing about how little or much we are going to bluff. How they "suck" is what matters...

It's a fact most players suck at poker. It's not even an argument or discussion.

If you don't want to take an AI advice on EP ranges then there might not be much help for you. Even if you look at some random books 120 combos will be close to any EP range listed.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    https://www.pokersnowie.com

120 combos look right to me.

We need to know if their are antes? This will make a big difference. Looking at 9 handed 25bb open ranges(ran at 5/10NL) snowie opens ~15% or ~200 combos UTG.

I am not sure how good snowie is with shorter stacks. In it's early days it got a lot of criticism for clear short stack mistakes. Since I don't play MTTs I haven't kept up with this issue, and I would be curious to know if todays(updated/better snowie) has improved its short stack game to the point it is reliable?

kagey wrote: »
    why aren't we open shoving here?

why with 25bb?
    edited June 9
    @kagey we're not open shoving 25bb with anything unless we have AA and a stack behind that's got their chips on the line and ready to shove.

@kenaces Wynn does the double BB for antes, so the pot has 2.5BB in it at action.

In terms of bad players - agreed across the full spectrum of poker players, the majority are weak in some way or another. But I think it's fair to say the better players are showing up during WSOP to play the Wynn 100k, and by the last 3 tables, we can assume some portion of that players at the table are good. Don't underestimate your opponents. That's a HUGE leak IMO.

I have to be honest I don't know enough about pokersnowie but my understanding was that the software wasn't there for tournament play. If I'm wrong, then I definitely want to spend some time with it -- but not much point if it's simulating. I used APT a bunch and it was ok but VERY easy to read Vs.
    edited June 9
    Powersnowie and Tournaments

They suggest best use is for early tournament play because stacks are deeper, you play more early and PS has no ICM or bubble support. I was sitting 24th so ICM has become consideration and was a big factor in my laydown here (I did fold) - there were a few under 10BB stacks at my and the other tables...
    @kagey we're not open shoving 25bb with anything unless we have AA and a stack behind that's got their chips on the line and ready to shove. .

@zampana1970 .... you might want to reconsider this.
    SnapShove which offers Nash says JJ is a shove at 25bbs

I've had tremendous success by starting to shove 25BB and less at Nash...
    the guys who wait until 10bb to shove and play "normal" with 25bb end up losing chips (to preserve their stack).
    plus when they get in the 15-10bb mark - they often get called and have no fold equity.
    20bb is the new 10bb... and 25bb ain't too far off.

guys like @kenaces and @Austin who don't play live tournies (nor have tourney results) and ask GTO software to do their thinking for them are asking you to adhere to outdated modeling to guide you.

BTW - I've even seen pros shove 30bbs in super high roller bowl type tournies. So this just isn't me taking these lines.

Janda tells us that an A, K or Q will hit the flop 55% of the time. Why do we ever want to invite marginal holdings like AT, KQ, or QT to our pot by making a typical raise? Do yourself and your winrate a favor and consider shoving earlier than 10bbs.

sn20a6n4k4gb.jpeg
    guys like @kenaces and @Austin who don't play live tournies (nor have tourney results) and ask GTO software to do their thinking for them are asking you to adhere to outdated modeling to guide you.

I only chimed in as there were some misconceptions about snowie, and even said that there were questions about its ability to play short stacks correctly, not to mention that snowie does not factor in ICM.

I am not asking anyone to to adhere to anything.
    edited June 10

I only chimed in as there were some misconceptions about snowie, and even said that there were questions about its ability to play short stacks correctly, not to mention that snowie does not factor in ICM.

I am not asking anyone to to adhere to anything, and if you read what I wrote above you will see I only mentioned what snowie does in one spot, and asked a few questions.

And I will clear up another snowie misconception - it is NOT GTO software.

I never said shoving wasn't +EV. I'm surprised hero folded this flop as it's one of the best flops he can ask for. There is no point in playing JJ if you are going to fold an over pair with less than 20bb remaining.

Just a question of what is optimal. Shoving 25bb as RFI or raising and seeing what happens?
    @kagey I've learned a lot in this thread - thank you - very +EV. I would never have considered pushing JJ at 25bb - if we push JJ are we pushing 66? TT? What are we balancing these combos with? JTs? QJ? Hands less likely to be dominated and that block the premiums? For a while I've realized the standard start pushing at 10bb was not cutting it anymore and have graduated to 15BB for the most part but I will mix pushes up with open raises as well. But 25bb - I've seen others do this and always felt - lost value. The pushing game is all about balancing folding equity to steal a solid ante/blinds pots relative to the size of your stack vs lost value on premium hands. But this is good, this gives me something to think about re: this spot and this particular hand.

@Austin Like all things in poker it is relative. That flop isn't as always as it seems - just cuz we have OP doesn't mean we're always gonna call off our tournament life. If the flop was a little less coordinated or was clearly a drawing board, and the BTN hadn't played a drawing range pre and wasn't risking a significant portion of his stacks post, then the decision would be different IMO.

And @kenaces I went and installed windows on my mac and bought Snowie and plan to spend a bunch of time working with it. I hear ya not GTO - copy that. But been looking for a good poker sim and they seem committed to creating a solid piece of AI. As I dig deeper I'll report back on it's tournament player value...
    Austin wrote: »
    Just a question of what is optimal. Shoving 25bb as RFI or raising and seeing what happens?

you're in a ⅓ game - dude with a 75 stack opens to $7... how much fold equity do you think he's getting?
    now if dude shoves the full $75... your calling range is going to differ tremendously. Right?

but that's not the real point... the point in tourneys is that chips lost hurt more than chips won. if we raise from ep... we've still got the whole table behind us to "dodge"
    we don't want to incentivize any player to call and get a shot at our stack for cheap.
    Nor start that domino effect where one guy with 88 decides to call and set-mine, which starts an avalance of players calling because they're getting "pot odds."
    we also don't want to make any errors post. Or get outplayed.
    imo, folding on this flop is a mistake. we should be calling shove. V can have anything from flush draws to 88-TT. Since we don't "block" any of his value or bluff holdings, we should not be folding.

with a very vulnerable hand such as TT or JJ, we're better off shoving and forcing opponents to make mistakes... and hopefully mistakes that punish him/her for calling light. And... If he's got QQ+, then so be it. I mean, we're not raising and folding to 3-bet here... are we?
    I would never have considered pushing JJ at 25bb - if we push JJ are we pushing 66? TT? What are we balancing these combos with? JTs? QJ?

Using Nash isn't about being balanced. It's about being unexploitable.
    From utg+2 - SnapShove has us shoving 99+, ATs+, AQos, KTs+, QJs, etc.... essentially 8.9% of premium hands.
    to counter this, SS has us calling a 25bb shove from utg+2 when we're on the button with TT+, AQs+ & AKos... 3.8% of hands.

but what Nash doesn't know is player tendencies.
    If the field calls tighter, we can shove wider. If the field calls looser, we might want to consider shoving tighter.
    Nash also doesn't take into consideration our frequencies, table image and other chip stacks. (that's an ICM problem)

Don't worry about being balanced when you're a short stack. Double up and then you can play some poker with a more balanced range. When you're low in chips, you should only be focused on maximizing the value of your hand and denying equity to hands that are best played post. Do this and your end game will improve dramatically.
    edited June 11
    I am definitely rethinking my short stack play.
    I have to say, pushing 99+, ATs+, AQos, KTs+, QJs at 25bb sucks all round. I don't want to get called with the bottom-middle of combos and I want to get called with the top end, but the chances of either working out feels slim. All that ever calls to a stack this large is premiums, in the real world, even when they're well stacked.
    I know this is a feeling thing vs a thinking thing, but 25bb is so many chips, valuable chips too.
    15bb I can see it. Even 17bb, that still makes some sense. 10 is too light and too by the book. Why 25bb tho? Why not 30? Why not 50? Why do we begin our pushing game at 25? My understand was that is was the value of blinds and antes relative to our stack. We would be risking 25bb to win 10% more, where as when pushing at 10 we're winning 25% more, which is a much better risk/reward ratio...

Anyway, this has been great. Much food for thought. Maybe I'll play some online and start pushing with 25bb, but considering player tendencies and stacks behind of course...
    @zampana1970
    you're asking a lot of good questions - and as you know, in poker - there are many ways to play a hand.

the challenge with 25bb stacks is bet sizing and future SPR considerations
    in the future, you might consider raising more pre than the "standard"
    or limp/shoving... or even limp/calling

much of how you construct your play should be predicated on how your opponents play and the best way to exploit them.

for players who prefer to take a low volatility line or risk the minimum, your actions in this hand is probably consistent with their philosophy... and probably played standard

for me, I thought this would be an optimal place to open shove and put the fear of God into the shorter stacks. even if we bet pre, and bet flop - we should be all in by the turn with our stack. So, I would opt to get it in now without having to be concerned with drawy hands calling and hoping to suck out.

10% increase to our stack is nothing to thumb our noses at. Do this enough times and you're table chip leader... plus, I like the psychological effect of letting the table know that I'm playing for keeps and can shove at any moment... making them more fearful to challenging me in pots... anyway, just another player's take on solving this dilemma.
    Take what you can use from this and other posts, and toss out the rest. Ultimately, you've got to make the decisions that you're comfortable with.

GL
    I have to say, pushing 99+, ATs+, AQos, KTs+, QJs at 25bb sucks all round.

This is a really good shoving range that Kagey provided. It's suited for additional equity, has blockers, and can still be called by worse. Shoving this range is way better than raising JJ, getting a flop in your favor, then being scared of monsters under the bed. Picking up 2.5bb or burning 6.5bb.

Range has more equity than I thought it would.
    pqpb12lem7kb.png

Welcome back to the forum @kagey. Good to see you posting from time to time. Feels like RCP was kind of dying.
    This has been great guys - I got a lot out of this. Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file