QJss short stacked

sandhu31sandhu31 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited June 10 in Tournament Poker Hands
Turbo mtt with 5 min levels and blinds at 400/800. Hero has 5000 (12bb)

-Villain makes it 800 in the LJ
-Hero has :QH: :JH: in the HJ

Was at this table for almost 2 rotations and the Villain had only raised once before, from the Button. He had also folded his small blind to me when it folded around to him. So he's pretty tight. Not sure if I should fold, call or shove here.

Situations like this where I'm short stacked (<25) and there's already a call or raise when it gets to me, are the ones that give me the most trouble as a player who's new to tourneys. I basically try to take into account the player type and how my hand's doing against their range. I'm going to continue to post these types of hands until I'm more comfortable. Also, is there any additional methodology or guidelines to apply to these situations that I could learn? Thanks!

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say "makes it 800 in the LJ" you mean villain limps? If he limps then I think you gotta shove. Im a little confused as you said blinds 400\800 and stack 5000(12bb) but 5000 is only just above 6bb.

If blinds are 200\400 and LJ min raised to 800 im folding. If blinds are 400\800 and LJ limped then im shoving. Won't get many better opportunities and will likely have to call all in when BB hits you.
  • sandhu31sandhu31 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Oops. Correction, blinds were 200/400*. Thanks @Austin.. I did end up folding but I wasn’t sure if I made the right decision. Do you still shove if he limps at 200/400?
    sandhu31 wrote: »
    Oops. Correction, blinds were 200/400*. Thanks @Austin.. I did end up folding but I wasn’t sure if I made the right decision. Do you still shove if he limps at 200/400?

@kagey might be of some use here. He mentioned "snapshove" which will help provide some Nash ranges. I am not sure how wide your supposed to shove over limpers or min raises.

Kagey posted a range in the other thread for shoving 99+ A10s+ KTs+ QJs+ at 25bb from EP. I'm sure QJs is fine over a limper. I would probably drop the bottom of the range here and do something like 99+, AJs+, KQs+, AQ+. This may be too tight and I default to whatever snapshove says.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 915 -
    No antes I assume?

In your hypothetical, if villain just limps... So 600 blinds and 400 from the limp. If you shove and win you add 20% to your stack. Shove.

In the actual situation where V min-raised, it depends somewhat on V's stack. My default is to shove unless I have reasons to believe I have 0 FE.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 minute blinds.... this must be an online tourney?

SnapShove is ideal for scenarios when you're the first in the pot. In addition, Nash is really hard to calculate if you don't really know how tight or loose your opponents' ranges might be.

if this were me - I think I'd fold and pick a better spot.
    with 12bbs, I'm not interested in flatting 20% of my stack and hoping for a favorable run out. My shoving range here would be AT+ and 77+ against a LP opener.

I don't know how we've gotten so low as to have 12bb (nor do I know starting stacks) - but we're in trouble here.

@sandhu31 ...This situation gives you trouble because it IS a difficult spot. Since you really have very little fold equity, you want your hand strength to compensate for the times you get called. But great hands don't come around that often.

So the real solution to these spots is to do what Henny Youngman's doctor told him to do when Henny said, "it hurts when I do this..."..... well, Don't Do That!
    don't get yourself in spots where you're left with under 20bbs... keep tabs on your stack, upcoming blind levels and the button.

imo, it's better to shove from MP with KQs with 20bbs than to wait til you finally get TT and shove with that from ep with 10bbs. Fold equity is a real valuable tool in your tourney game... don't let rising blind levels rob you of this.
  • sandhu31sandhu31 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Thanks @kagey ..yeah, it’s an online turbo and it does have antes. You get short stacked really quick in these so the variance is higher I’m assuming. I’ll play some deeper tournaments as well going forward.
  • funkypokerfunkypoker Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    If he limped at 400/800, its definitely a shove.
    If he min-raised at 200/400, I think I just fold
    sandhu31 wrote: »
    Thanks @kagey ..yeah, it’s an online turbo and it does have antes. You get short stacked really quick in these so the variance is higher I’m assuming. I’ll play some deeper tournaments as well going forward.

These turbos are super profitable, more so hourly than most other tourneys. They are filled with tons of calling stations more than any other structure. With that said they do require a larger bankroll because the blinds go up so fast. Just get really familiar with shoving ranges. Dropping below 15bb is very common in these mtt and nearly impossible to avoid. If your push / fold game is on point you can make a lot of final tables. When I grind cash I would tend to play one deep sack tourney on the side, just to make sure I didn't play a short cash session if I won big early. If you play late a night on ACR or other random sites you will see some micro / low stake $500 or $1000 guaranteed tourneys that are turbos and often times have some overlay where not enough people join.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file