First hand review after beginning CORE - All opinions required.

FeelzyFeelzy AustraliaRed Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
NOTE: Playing with "play money" as Australia buggered the Online Poker scene. But the goal at the moment is to just to make as many right decisions as possible as I practiced implementing concepts learnt in CORE.

Apologies for any mistakes regarding jargon, format, misuse of concepts, etc.

Playing 5/10
CO - 70.9 bb
BTN 90bb
SB (villain) 89.5 bb
BB (hero) 114.9bb

PREFLOP
Hero :Ad :Tc
CO calls, BTN folds, Villain raises $33, Hero calls, CO calls.

Villain I put on a fairly wide range even regarding position. Being "play money" I gave them a range including pocket pairs and any two broadway cards.

I also believed my pot odds were good and being the BB, I've heard a lot about defending that position.

FLOP (pot $96) :Kd :Ac :2s
Villain bets $66, Hero calls, CO folds

Flopped top pair, I had no idea about equity numbers until the hand was over. Villain bets rough 2/3rds pot. Could possibly have 2 pair, Top or middle pair. I feel like the bet sizing allows me to continue.

TURN (pot $228) :Kd :Ac :2s :6s
Villain bets $122, Hero calls

Villain now bets just half pot. The spade gives a backdoor flush draw but with the bet sizing, I didn't worry too much about it. In my own review before this post, I checked equilab and gave the villian pocket pairs to Ax, threw in Kx to see how it changes things. My hand faired well against possible ranges so I think I made a correct decision to call. Whether it was "optimal" is another question.

RIVER (pot $472) :Kd :Ac :2s :6s :Ah
Villain bets $223, Hero?

We make the set, Villian bets half pot again. Flush didn't come, straight didn't hit. With this bet size, I feel confident he has 2 pair at best. Interested to hear your thoughts of my next decision and hand overall.
Hero raises $927.62, Villian Folds

Hero wins $475

Overall I think I played this okay. My river decision I think could have played out better.

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12
    Honestly, I was somewhat ambivalent and critical about your play throughout up until I read the spoiler. I couldn't see your plan/vision, but I gotcha at the end. Well thought-out and well-played, IMO.
  • FeelzyFeelzy AustraliaRed Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Honestly, I was somewhat ambivalent and critical about your play throughout up until I read the spoiler. I couldn't see your plan/vision, but I gotcha at the end. Well thought-out and well-played, IMO.

Thanks. I think my raise could have been lower to try and entice a call. He may have folded anyway? My thought throughout though was to have them think they were in control. While they're pushing chips into the pot, I didn't feel it was necessary to make them question their hand or position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file