Another line that doesnt add up because i am playing reactionary poker.

keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Online Poker Hands
https://play.globalpoker.com/poker-client/poker/10/hand/5b31c5d1aa4b05159c550f92

The table is pretty passive leading up to this hand, and H has had success winning small pots by stabbing.

I decided to open this hand UTG+1 because i felt i could exploit the tables passivity and a suited connector was a great candidate for that.. being able to semibluff well. earlier there was a straight on the board, and i bluffed 1/2 pot on the river with nothing into one guy and he folded. this was the kind of passivity i was looking to exploit with my open. villians do tend to get sticky with Top pair type hands, but ive found they are more elastic than not... calling small bets with top pair but folding to large bets or all ins.

i ended up being called by CO and But, with But being a very short stack, only about 30bb deep. both players were as passive as described above.

when the flop came i thought " this flop sucks for EP PFR, so i should be checking with a large portion of my range." so, i checked.

when CO bet, i decided to call as i had a pair plus BD draws that i could use to potentially exploit the fold frequency issues identified above.

i made trips on the turn, and now having a made value hand, decided against trying to go for folds, so i checked again. when CO bet out again, this told me he had some kind of non drawing hand... in the past this type of player is usually content to check back with draws to realize free equity.

i assigned a range mostly capped at TP or 2P with 6 combos of full houses as well.

i decided to target these hands capped hands with a small check raise that i was confident V could call. if V had a full house i would expect a turn 3 bet for sure.

once he flat called, i was very confident he was capped at TP or a random 2 pair that i am beating.

on the river came a potential scare card for a large part of Vs range, so i decided to make another small river bet designed to entice a crying call from Vs capped range, and the play was successful.

however looking back at the overall line it doesnt make alot of sense given PFR range, unless its exactly 6X. i am having a hard time finding bluffs for the turn check raise especially. would i do this with AA-QQ? would i do a turn check raise with a draw? possibly, but id increase the size to exploit their elasticity when folding TPish hands.

overall i think my line only makes sense if i am holding exactly what i have, 6X... but doesnt make alot of sense for most of PFRs range. so although the plan from street to street worked out perfectly, i didnt really have a plan for playing my whole range that i stuck to.. which i am afraid is inhibiting my growth to be a better player.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭✭
    If you expand your opening range (I'm ok with it and I think you made the right adjustment based on your description), you also have to not forget to have the same c-betting range.
    I don't know what is you natural combos you c-bet, but MP belongs in my semi-bluff range. I'd either bet/bet/bet or c-r/bet/bet.
    So... why did you check/call ?

ps: You described yourself as UTG+1, but on the replay you're hijack on a 6-player table. So what the reality?
    (Note that 76s is in my full ring HJ opening range and a "grey zone" in my UTG+1 opening range. So for that I don't see opening 76s being so exotic, but I'm on the looser side too)
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    i decided to check because i did not want to cbet an EP PFR range into a low board especially with a guy behind with a tiny stack, who i saw as being difficult to bluff. i figured that if i cbet and he wanted to continue, he was going to be committed no matter what. given his stack size i figured there was a high likelihood thst he was already committed, as such a cbet with EP PFR range was ill advised.

i decided to check call because once the low stack guy folded, i thought there were alot of scare cards that could come on the turn that i could use to exploit the fold frequency issues i saw against the CO. also i had a hand that did have some equity to improve to a somewhat disguised hand. i basically made the decision to call once shortstack folded since i saw him as the biggest obstacle to my preflop plan.

to be honest i did not consider whether a XR would be good on the flop. typically i leave those to good made hands like sets, 2P and high equity semibluffs, and middle pair with BD draws didnt really fit either bucket. so i decided to call and represent a majority of the EP raise range... mostly broadway cards that float the flop hoping to hit the turn. felt like i could generate fold equity if a scare card hit. looked to rep hands like AK, AQ, KQ, AJs, KJs, QJs.

as for UTG+1 vs HJ i mostly consider everything except CO/BUT as EP while i improve beyond a scrub level.. so for me in this stage of development HJ and UTG are basically one and the same for the way i approach preflop.

as you can see i am making reactionary decisions based on the situation that develops before me, rather than sticking to an original plan
    keasbey wrote: »
    i decided to check because i did not want to cbet an EP PFR range into a low board especially with a guy behind with a tiny stack, who i saw as being difficult to bluff. i figured that if i cbet and he wanted to continue, he was going to be committed no matter what.

SPR with him is ~3. Use this information and how his range shall hit the board to out maneuver him using the right bet sizing and pot geometry.
    i decided to check because i did not want to cbet an EP PFR range into a low board
    Try the Ed Miller "70%" exercise (from "Poker's 1%") : On flop, he proposes to c-bet 70% of the previous range, with a ratio of 2 bluff for 1 value hands on flop.

a) what is your "expanded" preflop opening range? How many combos?
    b) How many combos do you still have on flop (bc some are blocked by the flop) ? If you c-bet 70% of this range, how many combos shall you c-bet?
    c) 1/3 of these combos are for value. How many? What are these ?
    d) 2/3 of these combos are for bluff/semi-bluff. How many? What are these?

Try it and tell me/us then if you c-bet 76s on T65r. And why/why not?
    as for UTG+1 vs HJ i mostly consider everything except CO/BUT as EP while i improve beyond a scrub level.. so for me in this stage of development HJ and UTG are basically one and the same for the way i approach preflop.

That's a good basis to build, and then expand your range when you feel comfortable (even if in the meantime you're losing value by playing too tight, but you gotta learn to walk before you learn to run).

Nonetheless, I'd not call it an "EP range", but a "tight range".
    Saying it's your "EP range" let think you've a MP range, LP range, stealing range, re-stealing range, etc., which may mislead us when you use the terms "EP range" but sit in a late position. Just for you to use the right words without confusion for anybody.
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    @Red

Here is my 1% combo analysis
    Preflop Range (190 combos with blockers) - https://i.imgur.com/VNgkjIF.png
    Flop Combos- https://i.imgur.com/q5L6Mra.png

I figured that the BUT calling with such a short stack and hitting a type 2 board was a bad event for PFR, so i lowered continuance range to appx 50%. i made bluffs the good equity and BD draws with little SDV.

I put most of my marginal holdings into a check range, with balance coming from a selection of some nutted hands (in bold) that could try a check raise.

Overall my C-bet is 53% and of the hands that get checked, i defend 53% of them, so my overall continuance is around 75% (seems pretty high)

I am not too confident on my combo selection (especially 44/33 vs AQo/KQo) so i am definitely open to combo suggestions from @SplitSuit or other guys in here. As it played out, my exact hand ended up in my Check call range.

Overall my C-bet is 53% and of the hands that get checked, i defend 53% of them, so my overall continuance is around 75% (seems pretty high)

No no no, I don't want any check/call hands. This isn't the exercise. It's only a c-bet range.
    If you've 190 combos on the flop, then you shall c-bet 133 combos. 1-2 rules means c-betting for value with ~44 combos and c-betting for bluff with ~89combos. Which are these ? Do it again!

(For sure c-betting 70% of previous range isn't the perfect decision, because it doesn't take in account Villain's profile, dynamic, SPR, etc... , but it's a good exercise.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file