What Poker Software Do You Use And Why?

TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
edited August 2 in General Concepts
Looking for input again please folks. Thread title is self explanatory. In situations where there are competing products (PT4/HEM; Flopzilla/Equilab) I'm particularly interested in what swung your decision, or if you just said "eff it" and got both.

TYIA ~ Kat
Moderation In Moderation
Tagged:

Comments

  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flopzilla & PokerCruncher.
    Don't play online anymore - so don't use PTA/HEM.
  • Kevin HKevin H Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Can't call your self a serious poker player to you have flopzilla.


  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28
    Flopzilla (incl. HoldEQ) and Equilab (free version). I don't use them for the same reason, so I don't see them as competitors.

    Microsoft Excel/Libre Office Calculator are also useful times to times.

    I played very little online, and used PT4 during these times.

    Edit: I also own FlopFalcon, but I use it very rarely. Fun to use and play with, but I don't see that much of a useful tool (at my level / for my needs, at least).
  • Jonathan RosenthalJonathan Rosenthal Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I've personally gone with what I perceived to be the biggest bang for my buck. I use micro stakes HEM2. I imagine by the time my bankroll gets to be large enough to play bigger stakes I will have no problem reinvesting in higher stakes capable software. I also use the free version of equilab. I would like to purchase flop falcon. From what I hear about it, it's really good. I just don't have the funds right now.
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    PT4, Flopzilla, Equilab, and LibreOffice for spreadsheets.
    Equilab was free and equities is s pretty fundamental concept so that came first. My game eventually got to the point where understanding board texture and ranges was necessary, and Flopzilla fit that need. I see Flopzilla and Equilab as complimenting each other and I'll often copy/paste ranges from one to the other during hand reviews. I chose PT4 over HEM because it was a little cleaner looking and easier to navigate.
  • Hai LeHai Le Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Anyone here using Hand2Note. It looks like a solid program but looks very advance for a beginner like me so I'm back with HM2
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
    PT4 (over HM2 since PT4 is faster and also includes things that HM2 charges for)
    Flopzilla + HoldEQ
    Equilab
    Excel (although I sometimes use Google Sheets instead)
    GTO+ (still getting used to this software, but price and lower barrier to entry over the other solver options)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • WickedWicked Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    PT4
    Flopzilla
    Equilab
    A bunch of the red chip pdf's
  • seth baumanseth bauman Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    PT4 (over HM2 since PT4 is faster and also includes things that HM2 charges for)
    Flopzilla + HoldEQ
    Equilab
    Excel (although I sometimes use Google Sheets instead)
    GTO+ (still getting used to this software, but price and lower barrier to entry over the other solver options)

    Any tips on using GTO+? I'm also just getting started with it, but there's a lack of learning resources when compared to PioSolver.

    The best I've found is someone on youtube named Adam Wheeler's channel, but he only has a few videos up and it's not super integrated in terms of how to use it to study.
  • DeucesWildDeucesWild Red Chipper Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Wicked wrote: »
    PT4
    Flopzilla
    Equilab
    A bunch of the red chip pdf's

    Where can I look for the Red Chip PDFs?
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    PT4 (over HM2 since PT4 is faster and also includes things that HM2 charges for)
    Flopzilla + HoldEQ
    Equilab
    Excel (although I sometimes use Google Sheets instead)
    GTO+ (still getting used to this software, but price and lower barrier to entry over the other solver options)

    Any tips on using GTO+? I'm also just getting started with it, but there's a lack of learning resources when compared to PioSolver.

    The best I've found is someone on youtube named Adam Wheeler's channel, but he only has a few videos up and it's not super integrated in terms of how to use it to study.

    What are you looking for?
  • AZMattAZMatt Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    Flopzilla & PokerCruncher.
    Don't play online anymore - so don't use PTA/HEM.

    As someone who needs to get some software (live player only) I gather flopzilla is my best bet, how is PokerCruncher different? If you had to buy one only, would you pick Flopzilla?
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
    AZMatt wrote: »
    kagey wrote: »
    Flopzilla & PokerCruncher.
    Don't play online anymore - so don't use PTA/HEM.

    As someone who needs to get some software (live player only) I gather flopzilla is my best bet, how is PokerCruncher different? If you had to buy one only, would you pick Flopzilla?

    I would pick Flopzilla if I had a Windows machine. If I didn't want to set up a VM/boot on a Mac, I would choose PokerCruncher =)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
    Any tips on using GTO+? I'm also just getting started with it, but there's a lack of learning resources when compared to PioSolver.

    The videos that Scylla made for GTO+ were pretty useful. I think it was like 30-60 minutes worth of training if memory serves. Check the site to find them =)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • WickedWicked Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Split suit...... is there one location to get the free red chip pdf’s ?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
    Wicked wrote: »
    Split suit...... is there one location to get the free red chip pdf’s ?

    The only general clearing house that I'm aware of is this: https://redchippoker.com/free-poker-study-tools/ but I don't think that's what you're after?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Hm2, flopzilla, equilab, GTO+. Not very good with them yet.
  • sozziesozzie Ottawa, ON. CanadaRed Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    HM2/OM2 (got it a long time ago from a promo on another site with a signed copy of Elements of Poker - don't use the full functionality so can't justify getting PT4 just yet), flopzilla, equilab, pokerstove (cause I'm an old nostalgic kinda person), Poker Analytics 4 for live games, OneNote/Pen&Paper for note taking (I usually write my learning notes on paper, then organize all my notes in OneNote with easy to find tags)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
    sozzie wrote: »
    HM2/OM2 (got it a long time ago from a promo on another site with a signed copy of Elements of Poker - don't use the full functionality so can't justify getting PT4 just yet), flopzilla, equilab, pokerstove (cause I'm an old nostalgic kinda person), Poker Analytics 4 for live games, OneNote/Pen&Paper for note taking (I usually write my learning notes on paper, then organize all my notes in OneNote with easy to find tags)

    Nice score on the book! That's one of my favorites.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Charlotte GreenCharlotte Green Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hi!
    I have the free version of Equilab. I really like it! I want to get Flopzila as well, and will do that very soon.
    I only play minimally online, but have Hold 'em Indicator. I know that not many people seem to use that as a HUD/online tool, but I really like the quick visual on pot odds and EV! It is great to see that with every hand, so that it becomes natural to me more quickly! The EV bar changes as more people fold, for example, so I can see how values change multiway vs heads up. Yes, more experienced players may not find that super valuable, but I do! (:
    I do plan on adding PT4 or HEM2 to my software, but I have not decided which one that I would choose yet. I also do not know how much online play that I will be doing, as I prefer live play.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Flopzilla, HM2, PIO, and Pokersnowie are my main tools these days.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
    I notice a lot of people use Pio and not GTO+ despite the latter being cheaper. Does that reflect a feeling Pio is better, or just that it was available before GTO+?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I got PIO ~3 years ago and have more practice using it. Most training videos made are with PIO, and I have a library of solves so I use it more than GTO+.

    That said I also have GTO+ and it is a pretty awesome value. GTO+ > PIO basic in terms of functionality and price. I just find the interface a little bit harder to use probably because I am just so used to PIO.
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    Flopzilla (incl. HoldEQ) and Equilab (free version). I don't use them for the same reason, so I don't see them as competitors.

    Microsoft Excel/Libre Office Calculator are also useful times to times.

    I played very little online, and used PT4 during these times.

    Edit: I also own FlopFalcon, but I use it very rarely. Fun to use and play with, but I don't see that much of a useful tool (at my level / for my needs, at least).

    For what purpose do you use Equilab? What products would you categorize as direct competitors to equilab? Thanks!
  • Alison P.Alison P. Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I use PokerCruncher as I am a MAC/iPhone user. Also Poker Bankroll Tracker
  • AZMattAZMatt Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited August 1
    Alison P. wrote: »
    I use PokerCruncher as I am a MAC/iPhone user. Also Poker Bankroll Tracker

    How do you like the UI for PokerCruncher? I need to get something, and it seems like flopzilla for mac isn't a thing, or would take a lot of moving parts for me to convert.

    Any recommendations on what level of PokerCruncher for mac? Looks like there are a few of them
  • chimerachimera Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    AZMatt wrote: »
    Alison P. wrote: »
    I use PokerCruncher as I am a MAC/iPhone user. Also Poker Bankroll Tracker

    How do you like the UI for PokerCruncher? I need to get something, and it seems like flopzilla for mac isn't a thing, or would take a lot of moving parts for me to convert.

    Any recommendations on what level of PokerCruncher for mac? Looks like there are a few of them

    PokerCrusher is more like Equilab+++. it has some functions of Flopzilla but it isn't as easy or intuitive to use.

    Flopzilla will run under Wine on the Mac, it does take some wizardry to get it working but its no too difficult once you know how.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file