Trying to find Process using software to Analyse spots or HH's, Equilab, Flopzilla,CREV/GTO+

John_DoughJohn_Dough Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭

Ok so my thoughts on coming up with a process I can use EVERY TIME im going to analyze a spot or HH. These are the steps. I know it may seem trivial but I need a set directive on how to approach this every time.

1. Fill out the Red Chip Hand Analysis Temple PDF
2. Run hands through Equilab & Flopzilla, and fill out all remaining areas of Hand Anlysis template, while building ranges. Use whatever necessary formulas apply to various situations.
3. Use CREV and setup decision tree's and test out some of the analysis ideas/conclussions from the equilab, flopzilla work.
4. Run spots through GTO+ if looking for further answers.

Im thinking of creating a separate folder to contain all the relevant files like the Analysis Template, Equilab results, Flopzilla, CREV Tree files or the GTO+ results . Ill prob name the folder like Hero 77 OTB vs UTG open or something like that

Guys please let me know if im on the wrong path here or if you see something I should be doing different. I would like to have this process typed up and pinned to the wall so I can follow these steps whenever im running through a hand. I do analyze the hands but im not using the software to its fullest potential. I think partially because im not fully familiar with it yet and also because I DONT have a process to follow.

Thanks and regards

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭✭
    Just try...

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
  • John_DoughJohn_Dough Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    Just try...

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

:) Thanks! I just thought maybe someone had already been through it. But yes I understand, anyone else?

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds to me like a bit of information overload.
    which can lead to analysis paralysis.

more important than the actual answer - in my book - is the how and why we got there.

not sure what this template is... but I like to approach my off table work in two ways:
    1.) V's range vs my hand on various boards. And see how different boards affect how many combos of strong and weak hands he'll have.
    2.) My range vs. V's range or hand - and again how different flop/turns and rivers would influence my decisions.

Don't take this as homework - where you have to fill out a sheet - but more as a journey down the rabbit hole (it goes very deep). The more you "play" with Flopzilla, ranges and board textures - the more prepared you'll be at the tables. (Note how many cards improve V's or our hand... this should be a clue to your betting line.)

Since there are so many thousands (millions?) permutations of hand vs hand on various boards - knowing what pio would do in one specific situation seems fruitless. IMO, using CREV and such solvers should be used to confirm your decisions not inform them.

The more you play around with this - the more you will start to recognize how some board textures mirror others - which allows you to "cheat" and use the same solutions as you've discovered before.

I'd avoid using computer folders and doing everything on your laptop. Instead go to your local bookstore and pick up a nice Moleskin notebook and write down the hand in question and the various solutions. (writing things down by hand has been said to help improve memory). Be a scientist and come to conclusions on your own before cross-checking them with solvers. Analyze why the answers may differ. Again, the actual solutions to me aren't as important as the thought process that got you there.

hope this helps.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    Well for me the process cam as I had a hand or argued about a hand, and begun to wonder if playing some other way might have been better....

One hand I reembered which over the years I've spent a fare amount on time on was a pretty trivial hand that someone posted on 2+2.

Hero had AK on the btn...he had just sat down in a live 1-2 game....so had no reads...

2 players limp hero makes it 15 both blinds call...limpers fold

Flop is $45 after rake...
    KQ5 rainbow....

checks to hero who bet $45...and get shoved on....can he lay this down...

A pretty simple hand and everyone of course said you have to call well played....

I looked at this and said well lets thing about what the shover has...He has to put ua on AA KK QQ AK at least in part...so what is he really shoveing...what odds do I need to call.....against what range do I have these odds...

At the time off to poker stove (yeah it occured that many years ago) and a calculater...

What range could the SB have that I could lay it down....what the miminimum range he could have that I have to call....

What if instead of raising 15 preflolp I raises 12...got a $36 pot...and then bet $20 into it ...could I now lay it down...

If he has to have some Kxs hands in his rnage for his shove....for me to have to call...how often have I seen regs shove at 1-2 after calling a riase with say KJ and then having the preflop raiser raise the hand... Do I see them doing this (at least enough to make it a call)

When I got cardrunner EV this was the first hand I entered into it, and tried all sorts of lines....against different ranges and assumptions...

this hand kind of shows my reasoning (the way I like to think)....
    If I feel committed am I, If I am but not happy was there another line that I could lay it down......type thing...

It kind of eventually boiled down to the following approach...

STEP 1
    ..... do the math part....what EV do I need in the hand...

STEP 2
    then I look at ranges..and see what assumptions I would need to meet the math...start with he only has nutted hands....then add some other hands...till you would need to call

STEP 3
    Are these assumptions reasonalbe for the type of player I'm playing agianst...

STEP 4
    Consider other lines....repeat step 1 2 and 3....

I also still like to calculate EV by hand sometimes....it gets you a feel for what components will go into your decision making...

Its also surprising to me how many people will post a hand with out even doing the STEP1 part of calculating how much EV they need. Instead they often just say with and SPR of 3 I'm felt committed....or something like that...

• John_DoughJohn_Dough Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply's guys! I have allot to think about.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file