Non-standard line at 30NL, tricky river spot

AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
This is a hand I played a few months ago. I took a non-standard line there and the question is should I bet this river and if yes which sizing is best?

$0.30 NL - Holdem - 8 players

BTN: 207.53 BB (VPIP: 47.37, PFR: 12.78, 3Bet Preflop: 5.15, Hands: 273)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 14.88, PFR: 9.98, 3Bet Preflop: 3.89, Hands: 4,705)
BB: 18.37 BB (VPIP: 28.95, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 38)
Hero (UTG): 100 BB
UTG+1: 102 BB (VPIP: 17.02, PFR: 11.90, 3Bet Preflop: 3.91, Hands: 19,361)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 36.14, PFR: 6.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 171)
MP+1: 105.4 BB (VPIP: 24.73, PFR: 19.05, 3Bet Preflop: 5.70, Hands: 4,228)
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 16.09, PFR: 13.54, 3Bet Preflop: 6.12, Hands: 41,545)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, MP posts penalty blind 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has :AC::KC:

Hero raises to 4.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 4.5 BB, fold, fold, fold

I put V on a calling range which looks like this:

mp262wugxzu8.png

Flop: (11.5 BB, 2 players) :2C::3C::9H:
Hero checks, CO bets 7 BB, Hero calls 7 BB

Here I decided to check because I would Cbet or c/r with my FDs with a high frequency so by check/calling I can still have flushes in my range (thoughts?).
I would also check overpairs here sometimes, also 88.
I think V is betting with all his FDs and BDFDs, all overpairs (maybe still trapping with KK+), offsuited broadways with a club and maybe 44-88 with a club, sets of course as well.

Turn: (25.5 BB, 2 players) :9C:
Hero checks, CO checks

Any reasons for leading here?
V checks. I expect him to bet all his 9X and boats as well as weaker flushes. V can also be giving up his BDFDs.

River: (25.5 BB, 2 players) :9D:

Board :2C::3C::9H::9C::9D:

Hero??

Comments

• DanielGDanielG Caribbean NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi there,

Great question. As you are the preflop agressor with a massive draw I would almost always cbet this board (take a size between 30% and 35% pot, as you don't want to bloat the pot too much if you miss). If you do decide to check, at least consider a check-raise, because if you hit you will almost always have the nuts. There are a lot of worse hands that can float here.

On the turn you could go either way, bet or check-raise (depending on who has the betting lead) or even check call if you think your opponent is really strong. Here too I would choose a smaller sizing, as the chance might be you are up against a set of nines (which you beat and can get value from) or even a boat.

The river I would almost always check because it is a really bad card for your range and better for your opponent's, and will most likely only get called by better. Just hope to take your showdown value cheaply for what it's worth. You could decide to turn your hand into a "value bluff" if you think your opponent is weak and try to represent something like AA, KK or QQ yourself. Some players might hero here with A high.

I get that you sometimes want to set a trap, but some boards are just not favourable enough for your range to do so. The chances are high that when you do hit the nuts your opponent might shut down because he was bluffing or just fold because he considers your value-bet too strong.
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    DanielG wrote: »
    Hi there,

Great question. As you are the preflop agressor with a massive draw I would almost always cbet this board (take a size between 30% and 35% pot, as you don't want to bloat the pot too much if you miss). If you do decide to check, at least consider a check-raise, because if you hit you will almost always have the nuts. There are a lot of worse hands that can float here.

This is what I usually do, checkraise or Cbet. :)
    If you had AA in that spot would you also bet 1/3 pot?
  • DanielGDanielG Caribbean NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    DanielG wrote: »
    Hi there,

This is what I usually do, checkraise or Cbet. :)
    If you had AA in that spot would you also bet 1/3 pot?

Maybe, depending on the player probably a bit larger. Unless I have seen him before, played some big hands against him and labelled him as a good/winning reg. If so I'd probably just bet roughly 33% pot to be consistent and not let the Villan get a read.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4.5bb seems large for an open. 3.5x is PSB.

I think I would tighten up someone's calling range who plays 16\13. 76s+ and J9s+ is usually the bottom. Villain only has a 3% gap between vpip\pfr. Calling range should reflect that. It's probably even tighten than I stated.

Postflop
    Not sure why your not betting this flop and continue to rep over pairs and 99. Maybe you don't have 22 or 33 in your range but you still have range advantage on this board. This is one of those auto profits boards. Mostly barrel to get 44-88 to play that calls the flop. I'm on board with check raising if you take that line.

River: if I bet it's not for value. Its a great spot for an overbet bluff, something like 2x pot.
    Austin wrote: »

That's because of a dead blind :)

River: if I bet it's not for value. Its a great spot for an overbet bluff, something like 2x pot.

So I should turn the nutflush into a bluff? Seems crazy haha

That's because of a dead blind :)

So I should turn the nutflush into a bluff? Seems crazy haha

You have JJ+ in your range for 24 combos while most of villains range is lower boats. You block flushes so most likely 22-88.

You have JJ+ in your range for 24 combos while most of villains range is lower boats. You block flushes so most likely 22-88.

That's because he checked turn, right?
    Yeah I like that overbet but I don't know if it would have worked this time, I bet small where I probably should have checked/decide since it's the worst card in the deck. V called and showed JJ.

That's because he checked turn, right?
    Yeah I like that overbet but I don't know if it would have worked this time, I bet small where I probably should have checked/decide since it's the worst card in the deck. V called and showed JJ.

Villain likely bets turn with flushes. He didn't 3bet preflop and you block some Ak AQ hands. Most people will pot control the turn with their pairs. Its hard to get 3 streets of value here. Some times ill bet my pairs here on the turn if I think other player will check call AK or AQ because I can get value from their club draws.

If you ever go against a sticky villain and you end up with QQ+ here just overbet jam. Thats if they are sticky. Some people will still call their small boats here and you get max value for 4x the pot.
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file