Getting max value with the underfull

RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
The game is 1/3, hero and villain are ~450 effective.

V is a good reg. He likes to play a lot of drawy suited connector type hands preflop, and is quite good at hand reading. I've noticed with his big hands he tends to bet small, like 1/3 to 1/2 pot, to force more marginal hands to call.

Hero opens HJ to 12 with 66. Only villain calls on the button.

Flop ($26) :Kc:Jc:Jd
Hero checks. Villain checks.

Turn ($26) :6s
Hero bets $15. Villain raises to $30.

This raise means J9s+, KJ, JJ. He is not doing this with a K or combo draw.

I believe a 3-bet will blow him off his weaker jacks, but he may find a crying call with AJ and then probably fold river unless I keep it small enough. If I call and check river, I expect he will bet something like $30-$40 with his whole range (unless a club comes off) and again, fold his weaker jacks and possibly AJ to a raise.

What's your plan to get max value from this hand?
Hero flatted the 15, then led for 50 on the offsuit 8 river. Villain called and tabled JTs.
Tagged:

Comments

• SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    Why not bet the flop? I personally attack almost all paired boards when I'm the PFR and heads up
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Sully wrote: »
    Why not bet the flop? I personally attack almost all paired boards when I'm the PFR and heads up

I often do also, but this particular flop hits his calling range pretty well. There are many hands he will flat my c-bet with and I'll go to the turn being left guessing if he has a jack or a draw, and out of position. There are many turns I would need to just check-fold.

However, when i check the flop, I still have KK, KJ, and JJ in my range and don't expect him to get cute on the flop too often, so I can just delay c-bet the turn instead.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJo 8 combos
    QJs 2 combos
    J10s 2 combos
    J9s 2 combos
    KJo\s 6 combos
    JJ 1 combo

Here you think villain only min raises with trips or better. He will raise turn with quads and KJ? Maybe only half those combos?

I don't mind a delayed cbet on this board. With a rainbow flop I would prefer a cbet.

On the turn I prefer a 3bet as you said clubs will shut down the action. I would raise to $75 and then on 2-8 you can go pretty large. On 9-A I don't mind bet folding vs a river raise.

Flop ($26) KJJ
    Check x2
    Turn (26) KJJ6cc
    Hero bets 15
    V raises to 30
    Hero 3bets to 75
    V calls
    River (176) KJJ6Q
    Hero ($363) bets $85

Hands like AJ, J10s, J9s still call. Then KJ, JJ, and QJ will raise. He might be good at hand reading but most players are not folding trips at 3:1 odds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file