Limit Omaha & Big O vs PLO8 and PLO Big O

Big_O07Big_O07 Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am new to Omaha and Big O and just completed Greg Vail's new book SCOOP! Big O & PLO8. I really enjoy the game and learned a great deal from the book (which I would highly recommend) but have a question. The only Omaha games in my area are limit.
What are some of the fundamental differences between PLO Omaha/Big O and limit Omaha/Big O? More specifically, based on the strategies given in SCOOP! Big O & PLO8, what adjustments would I need to make in order to apply these strategies in a Big O/Omaha limit game. I realize this isn't a simple answer and am just looking for some concepts that may be different between the two types of games to get me started thinking in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play any of those games so take the advice lightly.

1) bluff less with blockers
    2) embrace MW pots.
    3) squeeze extra value from the guys stuck in the middle with 2nd and 3rd nut hands.
  • Greg_VailGreg_Vail RCP Coach Posts: 51 ✭✭
    That's a great question! I do have two limit O8 students that I work with regularly and this question comes up regularly as well.

It is not a short answer, but to simplify the main points, your main goal is pure value. We almost never push in limit and we do even more to pull others in the pot. We also can get a little more aggressive with draws that include a made nut low in limit than we can in pot limit or no limit since we are not risking half or more of our stack should we be quartered or worse.

Thanks for the kind words on my book! If you really liked it and believe it can help others, please leave an Amazon review so that others can see it :) I would greatly appreciate it!!

If you'd like forever information, contact me directly for coaching information.
  • Big_O07Big_O07 Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks for the answer Greg. Those are some good tips to keep in mind moving forward.
    In Hwang's first book (mostly about PLO) he addresses some differences between plo8 and lo8. If you're planning on playing any high-only it's a must-have anyway.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Big_O07Big_O07 Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I'll check out Hwang's first book.
    Thanks Kat
    Welcome
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22
    Unfortunately Hwang's book is not titled well, as it's actually a good book on hi/lo as well, and it's too bad that fact is hidden. (Or maybe that's good for us....)

In pot limit or no limit poker in general, compared to limit, there is more money to be made postflop - in other words, you can play a few more implied odds type of hands. The less money that goes in postflop compared to preflop, potentially, the more you have to focus on having good hands sooner. In other words, you would normally be playing tighter hand selection in limit O/8. There's not always enough money later to make up for your early -EV investment with speculative type hands.

Also, it's pretty common for a situation along the lines of 3 people in the pot, and 2 of them sharing the high or especially the low. (Everyone puts in 1/3 of the money, but one person gets 1/2 and the other 2 get 1/4.) In limit, once the pot gets reasonably big, calling a river bet is still profitable even if you're quartered. In pot limit, it's not profitable to call a large river bet.

Consider a kind of worst case scenario with 3 people in the pot on the river, 1 opponent has the high and all 3 of you have the low. This sounds like a disaster, but in limit let's say there is $100 in the pot and there is a $20 bet and call. Your call will put $160 in the pot. You win $26.7 (1/6 of the pot) minus your $20 investment = +$6.7, so you have to call even if you know you're getting 1/6.

In pot limit, there is $100 in the pot and a $100 bet and call. Your call puts $400 in the pot, and you get back $66.7, minus your $100 investment for -$33.3, so you have to fold.

In limit it's profitable getting quartered (on the river) assuming a reasonable sized pot, so the issue is more about not getting into that (overall) unprofitable situation to begin with. In pot limit, it's more about trying to stack someone or quarter someone (and avoid it happening to you), and you have a little more leeway about how you can go about that vis a vis starting hand selection, since cards that pay off less often can still profit more on the back end.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file