Cooler or Different Line I Should Have Taken?

TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
Hey Guys -

Let me start by saying I am in full downswing mode. I have booked 6-7 losing sessions in a row and it is starting to get to me. I keep studying and trying to get better but finding myself in these situations and getting really frustrating. With your reply, if you want to let me know how you mentally overcome these times, it would be really helpful. Knowing other people have been there is helpful, but still tough. OK, now to the hand..

1/2 NLHE, Stacks range from $200-300, table just opened as it is a promo day and early in the session. We sit down with $200 to start. Hour goes by, and don't have any real reads but can tell villain is no Fish. Action has also been pretty tight up until this point.

Hero: UTG looks down at :Qd :Th

Raises the pot to $12. Folds around to button who completes and we go heads up to a flop.

Flop: :As :Kc :Jh

Hero thinks to himself, finally gonna break the downswing. Let's play some poker. Hero leads out $22 (close to pot).

Villian reraises to $50.

Hero has about $120 in front of him. He rebumps to $100 more on top. Villain shoves for my remaining $10 or so. Math is off here, but we are talking a couple bucks. I call. And show the straight. He goes ah, I have outs and shows: :Jc :Ks

Turn: :3h

River: :Js

I am in disbelief. Is there ANYTHING I can change here?

Thanks,
A Sad Sad Downswinging Sucky Player

Comments

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world. I riding a one way train to almost back to even...approached 3.5k now.
    1. Don't open Q10o UTG.
    2. Consider short stacking if your getting frazzled. It's a worse way to play poker, but it helps with the mental aspects of a down swing by 1. Forcing you to play an extremely tight range of cards and 2. limiting you "exposure". 3. It's really boring, but the decisions are ultimately taken out, and book a win or two and go back to 100 BB's.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recovered from a 3k downswing and currently on a 5k upswing. QTo and KJo are not in my UTG range at all. Trying to get even because your stuck and widening your range just adds more to the downswing. It's boring if you are only playing your cards with a tight strategy. It gets exciting if you are able to hand read well and figure out how others are playing. Earlier in my session I 3bet a nit with Q6s, way out of my range, but he has a bet sizing tell that I was able to exploit and win a free $20.

I would spend some time on preflop fundamentals as that is where most of the money comes from in low stakes.

Utg range should look something like
    77+ A10s+ KJs+ J10s+ AJo+ KQo+

Can widen a bit more to include all PP and all Axs on the right tables as well as all suited broadways. But hands like off suite KT QJ QT etc Just muck them preflop from EP.
  • TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @Austin Do you still agree with this UTG range? I know it's been awhile but this seems really wide for UTG? I just wouldn't even consider a raise (I think) with AJo or KQo
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,073 -
    Jesse Snow wrote: »
    @Austin Do you still agree with this UTG range? I know it's been awhile but this seems really wide for UTG? I just wouldn't even consider a raise (I think) with AJo or KQo

AJo/KQo are both cusp hands for a lot of people. I don't open AJo, but will sometimes with KQo.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Jesse Snow wrote: »
    Austin is no more.

QTo is not a great hand. Opening UTG in low stakes games where you might get too many callers isn't a good idea. You gonna have a lack of equity (even worst MW) and reversed IO against better TP.
    I'm rather active, but still I'd put QTo in my UTG range only if people are folding too much (pre- or postflop) or if they are deep and calling station (= increased IO)

Concerning AJo/KQo : I think not opening hands as strong as these is having a way too tight opening range. But they can be dicey to play +EV OOP ; so if you don't have a good postflop game yet, take these combos out of your opening range and focus on building a strong ABC game first.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    I think that's a good point by @Red ; no one's opening range has to be yours. If you find you struggle playing these hands OOP post flop, don't get involved until you have studied those spots enough to play them comfortably.
  • Matthew FitzgeraldMatthew Fitzgerald Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Total cooler once you get to the flop. Nothing you can do except not have opened it UTG. In terms of down swings I'd recommend taking a little time off clear your head of the bad run. Dont even study for a few days just focus on other aspects of life that make you happy. Get your head right and come back in a few days or week or whatever you feel is right.
  • DeadliftsDeadlifts Red Chipper Posts: 120 ✭✭
    @TheGameKat

AQo is also a cusp hand in EP for a lot of people

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file