General rule for value betting Rivers?

AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 237 ✭✭
Hey there!
Right now I'm studying different river spots and I want to know if you guys have a 'general rule' when to value bet rivers. What are the factors you take into account there?

(I will post a hand on that topic later on!)

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, it depends on my image, on V's playing style, on my best guess about V's perception of my image, and on the board.

The tighter that I believe that I am perceived to be, the stronger I need my hand to be to value bet. The looser that I am perceived to be, the more I can value bet with a wider range.

In addition, does V always "have to see it" or does V pride him- or herself on making tight folds? Against the former, you have to value bet less; against the latter, you can value bet more. Alternatively, does V love to hero call?

Finally, how does the board look? Are there lots of hands that V could have by the river that are weak, or must V have at least something by this point?

Then, put them together. As a random example, if I am perceived as loose and playing against a V who looks to hero call and playing on a board of ThTd2h5c2c, then I might value bet pocket 44s: V could have a lot of missed flush draws and/or AK hands that will call me down thinking that we're chopping the pot. If I have a tighter image, though, then I would not be value betting here: I'm only being called, at worst, by an overpair (and I might have folded that out by the river anyway).
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Interesting thoughts. I think I should take my image more into account. I always try to find the best strategy against different opponents but I think that I'm not aware of how my image effects the opponent's play. I assume that a lot of players are just playing their cards and not the V. Then it's all about adjusting and finding leaks in their game.

What do you think how important is the image online compared to live poker?
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭

No idea... I don't play online :).
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,241 -
    Interesting thoughts. I think I should take my image more into account. I always try to find the best strategy against different opponents but I think that I'm not aware of how my image effects the opponent's play. I assume that a lot of players are just playing their cards and not the V. Then it's all about adjusting and finding leaks in their game.

In one sense it's more important online assuming your opponent is using a HUD.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    The question that you're really asking is: if I get called when I bet X, will I have at least 50% equity against villain's calling range?

If so, it is by definition +EV to value bet X and you should do it if you're last to act.

How much equity you have against villain's calling range depends on the aforementioned factors/reads and how much you bet. Some players might call you down light enough if you bet small enough, for other players it doesn't matter and their calling range stays the same.

Evaluating what range they will call you with if you bet a certain size and what proportion of that you beat is key for river value betting.

That said, if you're not last to act, it might be more profitable to check-call or check-raise.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    The primary factor is whether your opponent has more hands in his calling range that you beat than you lose to. However, you also need to consider:

- (OOP) Will he bluff when checked to? If so, how many bluffs does are in his range versus how many value hands you beat?
    - (IP) Is he likely to checkraise the river with strong hands? How many of those type of hands are in his range?
    - Is he likely to raise your bet as a bluff? If so, can your hand stand a raise?
    - How many hands will he raise for value verus just calling your bet? Can your hand stand a raise?

Then yes, hero image factors in as well. But I believe villain tendencies trump hero image in this spot since people will often call when they are certain they're beat or fold when they're certain they're ahead just because they don't have the heart.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file