Why are pseudonyms so common.

NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited July 10 in General Concepts
Why do so many people in poker not use their real names? I find it very annoying. Is there a good explanation for this?

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any examples? My natural answer is to say that it's because it's gambling and it's still frowned upon by the general public.
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    My friend just mentioned something about a training site called Raise Your Edge. I looked it up and the guy who runs it is named "Bencb789." I follow a couple interesting threads on 2p2 of live pros who insist on keeping their identity secret. I'm assuming this is a money concern? Like if someone found out their real name they wouldn't get any more action? I just find it hard to believe, even for the online guys. I believe 3 of the biggest winners online all time are Ivey, Antonius, and Polk. We know their names.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
    I would guess that it's because most of us come from online (either playing, forums, or both) backgrounds and it's super rare that people use their real name as an online alias.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • Albert AAlbert A Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I don't play online but I sometimes play with: Mad Mike, Navy Dave, Coffee Mike, Bagel Mike, Corona Dave, Sunshine Ed, and an older guy I call Lou Cabrazzi (tough guy from The Godfather). One time when Lou didn't bet the turn and I spiked a flush on the river he called me a rat and invited me into the parking lot. I demurred.... didn't want to end up stacked under his porch with the rest of them. Me, I'm just Bert the Barber:)))

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file