When to use Outs vs Equity

JasondsJasonds Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hey everyone,

When the flops lands as I understand I'm meant to workout the pot odds and then using the 2/4 rule I can see if I should be calling, my question is if my outs % only come to lets say.. 15% but the pot odds say I need 24% I understand that should be a fold but what if I think my range beats his range e.g using a range calculator I have 40% equity does this 40% overrule the 2/4 rule %?

So basically is my range equity more important then the percentage I get from the outs? Or is this just down to my judgement each time? I hope that makes sense and i'm not being an idiot lol.

Thanks!

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭✭
    To me, there are three factors that I consider when I am adding up my equity:

1) % of time that, if neither V nor I improve, I am ahead;
    2) % of time that I am behind but can improve to the best hand (e.g., my "outs"); and
    3) % of time that I can get a fold were I to bet or raise.

It's inexact (but so is poker). They're all predicated on what I think V's range is, and the third is also based on player type.

Does that help? Or am I misunderstanding your question?
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    The 4/2 rule is an easy way to estimate your equity when you know you're behind like if you're on a draw and shouldn't be used when there's still a decent chance you have the best hand. Also just because your equity is less then the pot odds doesn't mean you should automatically fold you also have to consider things like implied odds.
  • JasondsJasonds Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thank you both.

I understand now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file