KJs vs min3-bet

Baby_SharkBaby_Shark Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
Game is 1/3, table is fairly active, with lots of juicy action (passive opponents, sticky limp-callers)
2 limps
Hero is HJ with :Kd :Jd
Raise to $20

CO is active player who runs poker games of his own. Gambler type player who sees a lot of flops and shows down non-nut hands. However, he rarely 3-bets.

CO makes it $40

Blinds and limpers fold

Hero Calls

FLOP ($80 including rake)
:As :9c :2d

Hero Checks
CO Checks

TURN ($80)
:Ks

Hero Checks
CO bets $30
Hero Calls

River ($140)
:Jc

Hero Checks
CO bets $100
Hero Calls

I was thinking of leading the river small, but decided against the donk, thinking I can bluffcatch. But after CO bets 2/3 on the river, I've got to think of the hands that can play this way... and I don't think this player has any bluffs in that line.

What do people think? Was I blinded by the absolute strength of my hand?

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you played the hand well. I don't think hero is ahead here very often on the river against that sizing, but it's a pretty gross spot.

I find myself in similar spots against small 3bets. Starting to lean to just folding preflop since they have QQ+ here often. Just don't flop well enough to take advantage especially at 100bb stacks.

This is another reason why I like small iso raises now. Something like $15 here over 2 limps. I'm fine with the $20, but experimenting with small iso raises and playing 2-4 ways postflop. You build a pot with position against fit or fold players.

Its an argument of what is best:
    Raise large preflop and try and win the $10 in the middle?
    Or
    Raise smaller and cbet on boards that favor your range?
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Its an argument of what is best:
    Raise large preflop and try and win the $10 in the middle?
    Or
    Raise smaller and cbet on boards that favor your range?

-If you don't open a lot of hands, BUT will get called my an inelastic range, the $20 is better IMO. You wanna tangle with 98s vs my AK 100 BB deep? Come on in. Your gonna have to make some SICK river calls with 3rd pair.
    -If I'm playing too many hands, at some point, my strategy of opening to $20 to just always steal the $10 in the middle will leave me with way too many bluffs, and you can just call me down lightly, as I'm forced to barrel so much of my trash.

• Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    That he rarely 3 bets is good info. Throw the face-up min raise into the mix and you're likely against QQ+ / AK. Despite the good price, this looks like a pre flop fold. Even flopping top pair could get you in a lot of trouble.

It would be common for V to check back AA-QQ this flop. AA for deception, pretty safe nut hand that he wants you to bet into on turn. KK-QQ for pot control. I would expect he continues w/ AK.

Not sure from your description if he would turn QQ into a river bluff after your turn CC. Seems very doubtful. I would expect to see AA-KK at showdown. Pretty sick to get here but i think maybe you ignored a good pre flop read.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    On second read, I'd likely take AK out of his range as he's min 3 betting with the limpers left to act between you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file