Getting to the end of my wick

Gareth NelsonGareth Nelson Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hey guys,

First time poster and was interested in getting some opinions

I’m 30, been playing full time for the past 3 years, and casually for the past 10 and I’m now at a bit of a road block

I’m up 18/19s I payed online a bit, had a couple of scores above $5k and one $16k score but this was all playing casual with no study or skill, just dumb luck. Now I am prodomintly a 1/1 player in a really deep regular game (£400 max match half biggest stack) most players typically have about £1000 on the table.
I’ve had decent results and even Magee to spend three months in Vegas during the summer last year, but now I’m at the end of my roll and wick with this break even stretch

I join Alec Trolli mastermind course which had some interesting stuff in it. Still no improvement, I’m consuming books and redtooth material daily, I tried upswing poker, didn’t get on with it at all, and now I don’t know what to do. I can’t remember what it feels like to book a +1 buy in session but am booking -2/3 sessions daily.

My strengths:
Agrissive
Level headed
Have a reputation for having any two cards in lots of spots

Weaknesses:
Down to 5 buy ins bankroll
Allways seem to have hands like pair/flush draw or straight/flush draw and get myself in worlds of trouble when I can’t get people to fold
Just seem to get no action with my sets (I remember session where I’d flop a set and be like, hmmm how many hundreds am
I going to get now)

I’ve attached my tracker for peoples viewing, I’m honest and open about numbers.

Would love advice from the community of how I could try and turn this around

Thanks

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,073 -
    The two points that jumped out at me are: 1) that most of your cash game play is in a regular game, which I take to mean often has a similar line-up?; and 2) that you have the reputation for being able to show up with any two cards in certain spots.

The latter means that at least some of the time you have a very wide range. If you are playing against the same opponents a lot of the time, I'm wondering if they've adapted to this range and are taking counter-measures against you?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing with 1\1 and having a wide range, being able to show up with any two cards to me just says you have poor range construction and are showing up with random hands because they are suited. Sounds like you need to go back to the fundamentals. Most live pros have vpip of 20-30 and pfr 15-25. I would advocate a 23\18 type style. Still plenty loose and aggressive.

Whats your backup plan after losing your 5 buyins? Some times "luck" runs out. I've seen ans heard countless stories about people always having a big stack and then others try and play like that player not realizing the fish is just on a heater.

1) play a tighter range than others
    2) play in position
    3) have initiative when you play (PFR).
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a reputation for having any two cards in lots of spots

This is more likely a bunch of preflop leaks than a strength.

I don't have an easy answer on how to get better at poker but I suggest you upgrade your study. Make sure you work on your mental game every day. Maybe find a 500 zoom crusher to coach you or learn how to use solvers.

Alec seems like a nice guy but he tried to sell me on a VERY overpriced coaching plan. I hope you aren't paying him too much because with a small stakes bankroll there is NO way it is worth it.

• Gareth NelsonGareth Nelson Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Ok guys I like the feedback.
    We need to get back to basics and look at preflop fundamentals.
    So follow up question, my ranges haven’t really changed much over the past 3 years, the first two years I’m making money pretty consistently the past year I’m break even at best, could I just be playing too lose preflop and for the first two years I just ran good, now we on the even out?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭
    So follow up question, my ranges haven’t really changed much over the past 3 years, the first two years I’m making money pretty consistently the past year I’m break even at best, could I just be playing too lose preflop and for the first two years I just ran good, now we on the even out?

I doubt it is just preflop and run bad but it really doesn't matter because the answer is the same - work hard on improving your game all the time.

The fact that you haven't examined your preflop ranges in 3 years is a pretty big clue that you aren't doing the above?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're capable of sbowing up with any two cards from any position for two years? VERY LUCKY. Its also a 1\1 game, so opponents are probably terrible.

Go watch CORE and get the answers you need.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file