Did I make a terrible turn bet?

BlairBlair Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hey all, recently played this hand and am unsure if I made a poor decision on the turn. Thanks for your input!

Game is live $1/$2 and I have about $270. Small blind has $450 and player in the big blind has about $220.

I’m UTG with AcQc and open to $10. Action folds to the small blind and he calls as does the player in the big blind.

Flop is Jc8h2s. Small blind checks and big blind, who joined the table in the last 15 minutes, bets $20. I call and the small blind calls too.

Turn 10c. Small blind checks and big blind bets $25. I raise to $150 and the small blind quickly folds. The player in the big blind takes a second but calls ( he has less than $10 behind).

River is 10s and action goes check-check. He flips 9s-9c to scoop it.

Was my turn raise unwarranted?

Comments

• keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    2 things. Flatting the donk bet probably capped your range at some kind of overcard/drawy combo.

Your turn raise is a 6x effective all in which looks like it is hoping for folds, rather than calls.. this combined with your weak range following the turn call probably made the guy hero call. How often does a 10 really help UTG here? are you raising UTG with Q9 or 97? probably not often. I guess you could have turned a set, but i would think TT raises smaller to try and get more value from more hands.

If you raised the flop and bet the turn i have to think 99 goes away.
  • BlairBlair Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @keasbey thanks for the feedback!
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The turn helps the callers range more than UTG range. For this reason I would only call on the turn and try and realize my equity.

There is more of a reason to raise on the flop vs a Donk bet. Although vs a 2\3 donk bet I may just fold with player behind as well. Have to have some history to float overs and back door.
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited July 2018

1. Villain bet $25 into $90 on the turn. What is a better raise size with your range here?

2. Are you implying that you would raise different sizes with your bluffs and raises here? What would each of those sizes be?

1. how about ~3-3.5x? though to be honest i dont know which sizing would be optimal given hero still has a player behind.

2. me personally? no, i would not. As played, V made a mistake calling that raise size with 99, but i think alot of 1/2 2/5 players have a "hurr his line is suspicious hes probably bluffing" framework. speaking purely from villian's perspective i think the whole thing felt like a bluff rather than a value play so it induced him to hero call.

Personally i would have punished the donk bet with raises on the flop with my entire continuance range
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @keasbey I don't think BB made a "hero call." I think it was "im short stack and open eneded so im going to gamble." I seriously doubt he thought he was ahead. Just one of those players "too much in the pot to fold" or "i have too many outs." Standard for $1\$2 games.
    @Austin thanks for the feedback and you’re right. As he was raking in the pot, he said something along the lines of “I only called because I was open-ended.”
  • Ronnie KwokRonnie Kwok Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    @Blair
    Can you tell me what range do you put the BB on when you flat the flop? I tend to agree with @Austin that your whole hand are decided on the flop not on the turn. Your turn play is just a reflection of you flop decision. You do need to raise that flop or simply just fold.
    Thanks @Ronnie Kwok. I thought he just had a pair of jacks or eights and would give up after his donk bets if I bet large.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file